PDA

View Full Version : scorpio z 225.

nz3rdsqr
18th December 2009, 22:05
hey guys seen a lot of people asking about the Scorpio z 225 by Yamaha, so i thought I would do a good review.

lets start at the front and work back. the tires i think the ones on the bike i am riding are stock. they are a big treaded yet relatively thin tire with plenty of grip. moving on to the breaks. front is a single disk twin piston break and rear is a drum. as this is a light bike these breaks are more than enough to bring you to a safe and controlled stop. the suspension at the front is a little weak and tends to dive a lot under heavy breaking. im not heavy im only 60kg so cant be affecting it too much. but as the bike is a mix between a cruser, sports bike ans supermotard it has lots of travel so cant see it bottoming out anytime soon. the rear is good. handle bars are wide but not so bad that it removes maneuverability in tight spaces. tank is about 12L from which you can get lots of mileage out of due to its single cylinder 225cc motor. the motor is a bit rev happy which isn't to bad in my eyes and puts out about 20hp. the gear ratios could do with a bit of lengthening but at 20hp this would probably reduce the already low top speed of about 120kph. the heel shifter is pointless and has no feel. it is hard to tell when the next gear has been selected. personally i have found it is easy to select neutral when the bike is cold by accident, this happened in the middle of an intersection once, which was a bit unnerving. the bike overall is light and quite maneuverable and easy to ride. it is a great bike for beginners and for about 4k you can get a new to year old model.

Pros:
cheap
efficient
light
easy to use
fun
nice noise
maneuverable

cons:
small tires make it twitchy at high speeds.
needs a good warming up before riding.
false selecting neutral is easy.

overall a 4 out of 5. i would recommend it to a beginner or anyone wanting a cheap commuter. if wanting to ride in the country i would probably buy a bigger bike like a cbr250, but this bike is good value for money.