PDA

View Full Version : The great KB pie Challenge

Coldkiwi
4th November 2003, 17:13
Now that we have establish that the 'My Country' thread was in fact all about meat pies (sorry Car Dodger!), I think it's high time we all shared our knowledge of where to find this countries culinary icon in it's prime (so to speak)

So please give us the benefit of your wisdom and experience. List your best pie experience's with a :rockon: sign and your worst pie experiences with a :argh: sign. Please don't post about all the crappy packaged pies at the servo... you should all know by now that they're food poisoning waiting to happen anyway!

Coldkiwi
4th November 2003, 17:17
I'll kick off:

:rockon:

Muzzas Pies on Picton St in Howick: "Buy one or we'll both starve". Huge selection of savoury and fruit pies including legendary Mexican pies: chilli beans, mince, sour cream and cheese!

Yatala Pies, 30mins south of Brisbane: Apparently the best pies available in Queensland. Kinda like their version of Georgie Pie (R.I.P) but a bit better quality. Not too shabby at all but not quite the boutique quality we're after here. Thankfully Muzza's Pies are open in the Brisbane suburb of Coorparoo now!

MadDuck
4th November 2003, 20:10
Ok so i do a bit of scuba diving and know every bakery there is to know that opens early.

My two favs ....Tairua just past the pub on the left which opens early (About 5am last time I swung by) and the pies have real meat in them:2thumbsup

The other is Maunu in Whangarei and they do pretty wicked "garlic sausage" rolls (good for clearing the system)...sorry to change the pie thread:confused:

Jackrat
4th November 2003, 20:47
Dury Bakery just down the road from the Jolly farmer #1
Take away at bottem of main st Pukekohe for mince pies #2
Take away on right side of road passing thru,sunny Otaki where it always rain when I,m there for the best Flounder an chips in the land,Thats heading south folks.:2thumbsup

MikeL
4th November 2003, 21:15
And for those of us stuck in the CBD there's the place in Wellesley St (think it's called Pie Mania).
Authentic kiwi pies plus a whole lot of exotic ones (it is run by Asians after all)...

curious george
4th November 2003, 21:50
Ponsonby Pies!!!

Teehee - spot the jaffa!
They do make a wicked spinich and lentil. yum.
The pies in Queensland were the worst I've ever had the misfortune to taste. Something to do with not having a minimum meat percentage!!!

The Bakehaus on highway 16 have nice stuffed potatoes
and the Huapai bakery (next to the cop shop) are good too.

aff-man
4th November 2003, 22:17
Worst meat pie i have ever had was one at an otara bakery near my tech . The meat was not brown but bright pink and did not taste like mince at all.:eek:

Great pies is this little backery just north of waipu cove town starts with an r . Me and the boys went in for a pie and ended up getting three each i think we cleaned them out :rockon:

marty
5th November 2003, 00:19
the bakery at the bottom of bow st raglan just before you turn left to go to the beaches. great when you've been out for a ride/surf/perv. tomato mince and cheese are just the best

Antallica
5th November 2003, 07:03
Any pie with vege's is yuck. Meat all the way baby :beer:

jrandom
5th November 2003, 08:34
Originally posted by aff-man
Worst meat pie i have ever had was one at an otara bakery near my tech

Good heavens boy, do you have a death wish? I'd stick to the vending machines at MIT if I was you. Preservatives and sterile packaging are *good*...

Dave
5th November 2003, 10:45
A deli on Oteha Valley Rd up by albany does a mean Butter Chicken pie-yum

georgedubyabush
5th November 2003, 11:02
Regency pies Kamo.

Just past the mobil.

Great selection and I think they're still under $2.00. They were $1.20 in 97 and just across the road from school. Local success story with a solo mum on the dole for decades starting it up if I remember correctly.

Antallica
5th November 2003, 11:09
Originally posted by georgedubyabush
Regency pies Kamo.

Just past the mobil.

Dude, are you in Whangarei?

Sharkey
5th November 2003, 12:28
I have heard good things about the butter chicken pie available at the BP heading south on the motorway. The one by the Autobahn Cafe. But it is only hearsay.

For a jolly excellent regular old bakery pie, The Bread Store at the bottom of Vincent St in Howick is great, and my Dad raves about the chicken pies at the bakery on Union Rd, again in Howick. Personally, I think they are too rich.

To be honest, I find buying pies such a risky business that I normally get a sandwich.

georgedubyabush
5th November 2003, 21:38
Originally posted by Antallica
Dude, are you in Whangarei?

No, about an hour North, depending on how you ride.