PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a bucket

lanci
20th December 2009, 21:53
So I've just bought an old Honda Bucket Racer from trademe. I have not raced before and have really done this on the spur of a moment, I now have a quick question, what's the best way of getting on to the track for practice? Or is that an industrial area car park material????? Look forward to the advice (sensible that is).

Pumba
21st December 2009, 07:38
Hey mate. Its a shame you just missed the weekend gone it would have been a great chance to get a feel for the bike. Unfortuently on the track practise is limited to the weekends that we have it booked.

Our next meeting 13 and 14 Febuary (that reminds me I must update the calander)

Staturday is a practise day that we share with the minimoto guys and is quite relaxed so is a good chance to get out on the track.

I guess untill then yea find a carpark and go hard, and be ready to be addicted:woohoo:

Buckets4Me
21st December 2009, 12:54
the real practice is done in the garage
open a haynes manual and start Bucketracing

#first you pull the bike down
#then you go over everything and clean paint fix it up
#put it all back together
#Rour up and down the streat upsetting the neighbours
#decide that you want more HP and pull it apart again

the actual riding is only a small part of bucket racing
you realy need to be able to fix the thing more than ride it (specialy if you cant ride it)

Welcome to the club we have monthly meating for the Addicted

NOID
21st December 2009, 14:16
the real practice is done in the garage
open a haynes manual and start Bucketracing

#first you pull the bike down
#then you go over everything and clean paint fix it up
#put it all back together
#Rour up and down the streat upsetting the neighbours
#decide that you want more HP and pull it apart again

you realy need to be able to fix the thing more than ride it (specialy if you cant ride it)

Welcome to the club we have monthly meating for the Addicted

I would have to agree with you :yes: racing is only half the fun, fixing what you broke/what failed you is just as much fun :woohoo:

Buckets4Me
21st December 2009, 18:13
I would have to agree with you :yes: racing is only half the fun, fixing what you broke/what failed you is just as much fun :woohoo:

then there is fixing things that havent broke (TZ350)
70% making
10% riding
10% fixing
20% talking about it

who said you cant put 110% in

lanci
21st December 2009, 21:40
This is the beast. Any one know history on it or even what sort of engine it is?

Need to try and get it running as it hasn't been run for a year. Hopefully some new fuel and cleaning the carb might be enough!

lanci
21st December 2009, 21:42
Apparently it's a bit slow but I'm not too fussed, for now......

koba
21st December 2009, 21:50

Weren't you reading?
She said she bought a HONDA

I can tell you ride suzukis...

koba
21st December 2009, 21:55
This is the beast. Any one know history on it or even what sort of engine it is?

Need to try and get it running as it hasn't been run for a year. Hopefully some new fuel and cleaning the carb might be enough!

Its a CB125 Single by the look of it.

If it is all working OK just ride it.
It might pay to check the camchain and tensioner, it can be a weak point of an otherwise VERY solid engine.

Check that the timing and points gap are set correctly, this is real basic and easy to get help with.

You could also get someone who knows their shit to help set up the cam timing, its probably out quite a bit and will make a noticable difference.

These bikes are often underestimated, there is one down here that kicks arse - its about using ALL the power it has.

I rate these as one of the best learner buckets around.

Buckets for me mentions a manual, this should be the first thing you buy for it.

Pumba
22nd December 2009, 08:07
pretty sure I have seen that bike once before at the track would have been a couple of years ago, cant rember how it went.

It looks like it has been built well, and yes Koba is right the CB125 single is a strong honda engine that shouldnt give you too much trouble if it has been looked after. Hope it doesnt take to much to get running.

Pumba
22nd December 2009, 08:14
Weren't you reading?
She said she bought a HONDA

I can tell you ride suzukis...

She???:Oops:

Maybee you are thinking of your Mrs, diesnt seem to matter what brand of bike She owns sooner or later she seems to brake it:chase:

crazyhorse
22nd December 2009, 08:32
Well good on ya anyway.

koba
22nd December 2009, 20:07
She???:Oops:

Maybee you are thinking of your Mrs, diesnt seem to matter what brand of bike She owns sooner or later she seems to brake it:chase:

:Oops:

Sounds like a girls name...:p

She's never broken a Honda!

*Quietly hides the keys to the VFR and MB...*

Buckets4Me
22nd December 2009, 20:48
This bike has been at Mt Wellington in the last year and went ok

as for it being slow I would blame that on the rider as many cb125 singles have done well there (maby not up with the fast guys but a good mid pack A grade bike)

this bike has the ability to win B grade

it looks nice and flash
old school bling with plenty of crome from memory
nice bling exhaust :2thumbsup

the bike is way to nice to crash and that may be why it was slow

nothing some 17" rims and a 150cc piston kit cant fix

lanci
22nd December 2009, 21:17
Just picked it up and quite stoked with it :2thumbsup

First problem, it doesn't have a 21mm or 16mm sparkplug in it, I only have those sparkplug sockets....... FUCK. That said I'm looking forward to starting it, riding it round the block then taking it back home to pull apart.

woodyracer
22nd December 2009, 21:31
if you have a problem with power put a gl145 motor in it, they go like hell.

Cool bike, deffinitly a good bike,

lanci
22nd December 2009, 21:38
Took the pod filter off and pulled the throttle and it moves a slide up and down, thought that it would move the butterfly valve, lots to learn and look at!!!

Buckets4Me
23rd December 2009, 05:47
go get a 19?? long reach socket

and it looks like this is the sport for you
lots to learn and plenty to play with
get a manual for it cb125 single :banana: that will show you the basics

have fun see you feb and ride this bike more than the last owner

koba
23rd December 2009, 06:06
if you have a problem with power put a gl145 motor in it, they go like hell.

Cool bike, deffinitly a good bike,

or a Haybusa turbo motor...

Str8 Jacket
23rd December 2009, 06:37
:Oops:

Sounds like a girls name...:p

She's never broken a Honda!

*Quietly hides the keys to the VFR and MB...*
Yes, but remember when I didn't put the side stand down properly on the VFR.... :whistle:

or a Haybusa turbo motor...
Don't forget the NOS au!

lanci
23rd December 2009, 17:55
It runs, it runs!!! :banana:

After a year of not being run, it ticked over with a good solid kick. Didn't want to run for long with the choke in but I put that down to a dirty carb. Haynes manual here I come!