PDA

View Full Version : Only one headlight

2_SL0
1st May 2005, 19:42
Yes I know its normal, but my question is for other people with the same problem. On dipped I only have one light going, Im already noticing people waving and flashing their lights at me.
(a) Im a incredible rider and they are showing their appreciation for my skill. :whistle:
(b) They think Im nut and are gently pointing that out.
(c) Im going that slow they think I haven fallen asleep. :yes:
(d) They love Kawasaki 636's (who doesnt)
(e) The are kindly pointing out that one of my headlights isnt going.

Do I bother doing a wiring mod to eliminate the problem?
Or just wave back at people.

John
1st May 2005, 19:44
Looks better when you have both going, thats what I'd do.

But most wave because its such a bloody nice bike!

Zed
1st May 2005, 19:50
...On dipped I only have one light going, Im already noticing people waving and flashing their lights at me.
...Do I bother doing a wiring mod to eliminate the problem?
Or just wave back at people.I guess the manufacturer knew what they were doing when they initiated this single headlight with late model sportsbikes...so I'd just ignore all this flashing of lights business and get on with the riding!

Btw, what's the single headlight like on the roads at night?

Kinda looks like it's winking at you, maybe that's why they're flashing their lights! :msn-wink:

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~mgnock/wink%20wink.jpg

LED
1st May 2005, 19:53
I guess the manufacturer knew what they were doing when they initiated this single headlight with late model sportsbikes...so I'd just ignore all this flashing of lights business and get on with the riding!

Same with the Buell..........and they set the standard :laugh: Don't worry about it!!

Mr Skid
1st May 2005, 19:55
(f) They want you to do a wheelie?

The single headlight at dip is a canadian regulation by memory. The idea is that if you've got two narrowly spaced headlights running at once, another road user could mistake them for a set of widely spaced headlights (such as on a car) that are much further away.

2_SL0
1st May 2005, 20:02
I guess the manufacturer knew what they were doing when they initiated this single headlight with late model sportsbikes...so I'd just ignore all this flashing of lights business and get on with the riding!

Seems fine at night, found that out tonight on a slightly longer trip than planned.

sAsLEX
1st May 2005, 20:16
i think FF's bike has the same prob!

FEINT
2nd May 2005, 09:24
CBR's have one headlight on as well. I personally think it is better to have one headlight and one highbeam.

I found the headlight bright enough for night use. :niceone:

bugjuice
2nd May 2005, 09:25
at night, the one headlight spits out heaps of light. You wouldn't have thought it was all from one light actually!
I figured out a possibility that *might* have decided it was the left light too - last weekend riding home in the pissing rain and dark, the light was covered in crap. So while riding (don't try this at home people), I reached forward and wiped it. If it had been the right one, I would have had to let go of the throttle..

Anyway, I get a lot of people telling me the headlight is out, but then I explain the whole 'saving weight' thing, and they buy it and nod in appreciation.

I've had a few offers to help me wire up the other side to, but here's the trick - I have a switch for it on the handle bar already!!!!!! If I flick it on, the right light comes on!!!!! How fukin good is that? But, it's the high beam. And because of this, the reflector at the back makes it fukin bright, so wiring it on will just blind people 24/7, when I can just as easily do that from the switch..

Not having both on saves on having a relay, extra wiring, having to comprimise the best headlight beam (cos you'd design the beam for both dipped and high beam), etc etc, and all for the case of having 2 headlights on. Looks more defined with just the one I reckon. Might look a bit odd, but even in the dark, you'll know you've just been smoked by a kwaka.

750Y
2nd May 2005, 10:40
Might look a bit odd, but even in the dark, you'll know you've just been smoked by a kwaka.

oh pleeeease, i'm feeling dizzy, may need to sit down 8-)...

bugjuice
2nd May 2005, 10:46
oh pleeeease, i'm feeling dizzy, may need to sit down 8-)...
you've had this experiance a few times before then?

750Y
2nd May 2005, 10:53
lmao,
sorry i didn't get to say hi on Saturday morning..
seen one going round puke a couple times, WOW! now that thing was quick & it was only the 02/03 model.

Flyingpony
2nd May 2005, 11:42
Only one light by default, neat and you still can see at night, awesome.
Must be more than 25w then. I got flashed at last weekend too, but for other reasons, read on:

Started out with two working bulbs, went down to one and then none within 48hrs. Mutter, mutter, lost both low and high beam. All elements blown. At least they wore out at the sametime.

Bike shop won't have replacement bulbs for another day or so. I think they might have cheapo's but I'm not intereted in those. That's what just blew with less than 6 months usage. :mad:

Late last year when I put in new bulbs, biker sixth sense kicked in and I actually kept the old ones (hi-beam still worked). Kept them just encase they might come in handy as an in-between spare set. And I was right!

OBTW, nice looking bike.

TonyB
2nd May 2005, 12:13
I can see the point of it, but commuting after dark last year I noticed something that made me believe it's best to have two headlights:
If its real dark and there is a fair bit of traffic coming towards you a single-headlight-bike can appear to be one of the headlights of the car behind it (in the right situation). It's a known fact that the brain 'interprets' what it sees. It makes a descision on what it is looking at, and then that is what you will "see" until the brain decides otherwise. Several times last winter I noticed that the car coming towards me started to look odd, with one headlight appearing higher than the other. Then the old grey matter went "CLUNK!" and realised there was a bike infront of the car and showed it as such. The scary part is that with me being tired, the brain continued to believe in the illusion until the bike headlight was well out of line with the car headlight.

Of course, twin head lights can also look like a car in the distance...

bugjuice
2nd May 2005, 12:16
I can see the point of it, but commuting after dark last year I noticed something that made me believe it's best to have two headlights:
If its real dark and there is a fair bit of traffic coming towards you a single-headlight-bike can appear to be one of the headlights of the car behind it (in the right situation). It's a known fact that the brain 'interprets' what it sees. It makes a descision on what it is looking at, and then that is what you will "see" until the brain decides otherwise. Several times last winter I noticed that the car coming towards me started to look odd, with one headlight appearing higher than the other. Then the old grey matter went "CLUNK!" and realised there was a bike infront of the car and showed it as such. The scary part is that with me being tired, the brain continued to believe in the illusion until the bike headlight was well out of line with the car headlight.

plus half the bikes still being designed even today, only have a single headlight anyway.
Even tho it's just one light, it's bloody bright. So two wouldn't make any difference, they would have designed it so that it would be the same light, but just two bulbs instead of one. Could always flash your full beam, then it shows/blinds oncoming..

Ixion
2nd May 2005, 13:41
Only one light by default, neat and you still can see at night, awesome.
Must be more than 25w then. I got flashed at last weekend too, but for other reasons, read on:

Started out with two working bulbs, went down to one and then none within 48hrs. Mutter, mutter, lost both low and high beam. All elements blown. At least they wore out at the sametime.

Bike shop won't have replacement bulbs for another day or so. I think they might have cheapo's but I'm not intereted in those. That's what just blew with less than 6 months usage. :mad:

Late last year when I put in new bulbs, biker sixth sense kicked in and I actually kept the old ones (hi-beam still worked). Kept them just encase they might come in handy as an in-between spare set. And I was right!

OBTW, nice looking bike.

Always keep a spare bulb in a plastic bag tucked behind the fairing or taped to the rear of the headlight. And a spare taillight bulb taped to the numberplate bracket. Wrap the bulbs in foam or bubblewrap. Just the same sort of provisioning as keeping spare clutch and throttle cables taped in parallel (Seal the ends with grease and the end of a condom)

Ixion
2nd May 2005, 13:44

This is completely correct. It is for this reason that I ahve fitted two extra position lights (parking lights) to the BMW , replacing the original. You are allowed two. They are beneath the headlamp and well apart and as bright as possible. So it appears as three lights, triangulated. I have had comments about it looking "odd" and distinctive, which is what I want. People see it and identify it as "something different" . Otherwsie as you say the single light "merges" with traffic behind it .

James Deuce
2nd May 2005, 14:42
I don't mind the comments from the general public, it's the smart comments from riding partners who should know better.

You guys remember this?

http://www.highbimmin.com/olddesign/Ultimate.htm

Zapf
2nd May 2005, 15:24

thats why I get different colour head light bulbs... hopefully the colour will make the drivers click that it is not from the car behind and its something else.

Waylander
2nd May 2005, 15:41
Ya do know that some go their entire biking lifes with only one headlight.

erik
2nd May 2005, 20:29
Yes I know its normal, but my question is for other people with the same problem. On dipped I only have one light going, Im already noticing people waving and flashing their lights at me.
(a) Im a incredible rider and they are showing their appreciation for my skill. :whistle:
(b) They think Im nut and are gently pointing that out.
(c) Im going that slow they think I haven fallen asleep. :yes:
(d) They love Kawasaki 636's (who doesnt)
(e) The are kindly pointing out that one of my headlights isnt going.

Do I bother doing a wiring mod to eliminate the problem?
Or just wave back at people.

Just wave back :2thumbsup

I reckon if it makes people look twice, it's a good thing. Maybe it'll help people notice you more.

JohnBoy
3rd May 2005, 07:57
i just think its a trap for the ignorant!!!
i have the same set up on my Zed and i like it. it helps me identify morons before i speak to them, just like the time when i had an old 600ss and some idiot boy racer said to his mate "check that out man!! that bikes lowered on king springs!" :bs: just beacuse the coil on the rear shock was yellow!!

keep it, looks good in my books :niceone: