PDA

View Full Version : Another ferry question

varminter
21st December 2009, 19:12
No, not about lashing down the bike. This time, what do you do with all your bike gear. I'm hoping to go down to Nelson early next year and I thought 'what the heck do you do with helmet, gloves, boots, jacket and pants' assuming it's nice and warm and I don't want to wear it all on the boat? must be a pain in the arse lugging that lot around.

awayatc
21st December 2009, 19:15
I leave everything on the bike.....nothing has gone missing so far....
but have heard of a pair of gloves gone missing..
so use topbox /saddlebags for smaller bits...

gunrunner
21st December 2009, 19:16
They have lockers . Lock ya shit in it , tho last time i went the guy on bluebridge told me to just leave it on the seat that was by my bike . :rockon:

duckonin
21st December 2009, 19:16
We leave ours with the bike never had a problem....:yes:

sunhuntin
21st December 2009, 19:25
helmet and gloves go on the helmet lock, jacket usually gets taken with me, or i jam it in somewhere, like in the top box if its empty. i tend not to wear bike pants unless its raining, in which case i would leave them on cos they are a bitch to take on and off. backpack etc stays on the bike.

ratast
21st December 2009, 22:11
Get yourselve a coiled metre long bike lock. Small diametre and perfect for sliding through arms of jacket and locking to bike.

sleemanj
22nd December 2009, 12:13
Get a PacSafe net.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchType=all&searchString=pacsafe&type=Search&generalSearch_keypresses=7&generalSearch_suggested=0

Very handy if you want to stop somewhere and have a wander around without looking like the michelen man carring your gear. I keep one in my tank bag.

varminter
22nd December 2009, 13:16
Get yourselve a coiled metre long bike lock. Small diametre and perfect for sliding through arms of jacket and locking to bike.

Now that's a cunning stunt, Ta for the help lads

Flip
22nd December 2009, 15:01
Had a pair of gloves nicked many years ago, there were some lowlife scum hanging around on the car deck.
I just leave my lid and gloves on the bike and take my jacket with me. There is usually crap in the pockets like wallet, keys, ipod, sunglasses and such like that I want with me during the sailing. Its only 3h 20m trip and I usually park my ass in the bar, sometimes with a book or if I am in a group just talk shit. 3 hours goes pretty quickly.

sinned
22nd December 2009, 20:13
Get a PacSafe net.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchType=all&searchString=pacsafe&type=Search&generalSearch_keypresses=7&generalSearch_suggested=0

Very handy if you want to stop somewhere and have a wander around without looking like the michelen man carring your gear. I keep one in my tank bag.
I thought about buying a stuffsave bag until I read that it didn't stop a low life thief http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?topic-id=368979

jellywrestler
22nd December 2009, 20:34
I leave everything on the bike.....nothing has gone missing so far....

i had my leather jacket stolen from my bike, never again

nothingflash
22nd December 2009, 20:47
i had my leather jacket stolen from my bike, never again

Man - there really are wankers everywhere huh!

sleemanj
22nd December 2009, 20:52
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?topic-id=368979

Like anything, if they want it, they'll get it. You lock your windows in your house right, you think a theif won't break a window if they really want in?

It does however stop the opportunist from just having a bit of a fish about through your bags, which is all you can really do.

It's better than nothing.

sinned
22nd December 2009, 20:58
Like anything, if they want it, they'll get it. You lock your windows in your house right, you think a theif won't break a window if they really want in?

It does however stop the opportunist from just having a bit of a fish about through your bags, which is all you can really do.

It's better than nothing.

It may not be better than nothing but add to the temptation. If a thief thinks there could be a grands worth of leathers, helmet, gps in the bag they may make an effort to take it. Without the security bag/netting you take the gear with you.

fireliv
22nd December 2009, 21:11
If you are worried I would just hire a locker on the boat like was suggested earlier

9rider
17th May 2011, 03:31
We take our gear (Jackets Helmets) with us and store it where we sit.

jafar
25th May 2011, 06:43
I've never had a problem on either ferry companies boats. I lock the helmet to the bike & leave the bags etc where they are. :rockon:

wickle
25th May 2011, 08:17
Last trip left gear with bike , but used cable ties(use odd ball colour not black)to stop anyone just opening zips etc on bags , use same system when flying you soon know if someone has tampered with bag.

Gremlin
25th May 2011, 17:30
Wearing pants already, take jacket and helmet etc with me... no way I'm leaving it on bike.