PDA

View Full Version : Non-bike-related question (UHF aerial)

rainman
21st December 2009, 23:54
This is the place where I can ask a stoopid question and get an intelligent answer, right? :yes:

I'm installing a UHF aerial (on a 2m post), and will want to run the cable through the (old) concrete tiles and through the ceiling space, rather than over the tiles where it will look ugly.

1) what is the best stuff to bung up the hole.with after I've put the cable through?
2) do I need to do anything special (beyond cable tying it to the post) to stop the cable moving around during storms, and causing leaks around the hole? Fancy flashing?
3) where's the best spot to drill through a tile without rogering the underlying structure of the roof? Top half, bottom half, from the inside?

And, for bonus points: should I bother to keep my old VHF aerial and use a diplexer? It's on a bargeboard mount on the other end of the house so a pita to move...analogue TV will be going away RSN, I'm told.

TIA, bling will be sent to helpful answers...

Toot Toot
22nd December 2009, 00:47
1) Silicone, clear is best but you can colour match your roof tiles by going to a tile shop (the bathroom kind) if you want to.

2) Nope, just cable-tie that bastard good n proper

3) You can drill through the tile if you want to, they are only concrete (unless you got terracotta) so are soft and easy to drill, it doesn't matter were you drill them, but I wouldnt bother drilling the tile, you can just pass the cable under the bottom lip of the tile. If it causes the tile to sit proud then use a 100mm angle grinder to chase a small channel on the underside of the tile that the cable can sit in. Again use silicone at the cable entry point if you think its necassary but using this method it wont be.
hope that helps.

Juzz976
22nd December 2009, 02:57
1) Silicone, clear is best but you can colour match your roof tiles by going to a tile shop (the bathroom kind) if you want to.

2) Nope, just cable-tie that bastard good n proper

3) You can drill through the tile if you want to, they are only concrete (unless you got terracotta) so are soft and easy to drill, it doesn't matter were you drill them, but I wouldnt bother drilling the tile, you can just pass the cable under the bottom lip of the tile. If it causes the tile to sit proud then use a 100mm angle grinder to chase a small channel on the underside of the tile that the cable can sit in. Again use silicone at the cable entry point if you think its necassary but using this method it wont be.
hope that helps.

+1

10 chars

rainman
22nd December 2009, 08:38
Cheers, thanks for the help!

Pixie
22nd December 2009, 18:56
Be careful not to crimp or crush the coax.That can totally fuck the impedance of the cable.