PDA

View Full Version : State highway 1 passing lane closure

lee
23rd December 2009, 12:32
OK I know this happens every year. but I've just read it in the paper today and my god does it make me mad. I know I've been here for a few years now, but every year it makes me want to buy a heavy calibre machine gun anf go do a Rambo.

Basically those amebas at the the transport agency think its a good idea to close passing lanes on SH1 around Otaki and Waikanai over the christmas holiday as this "eases traffic flow and creates less accidents" I mean WTF!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Honestly, have these people even seen a car before? All they are doing is making it so that those of us who can drive and aren't scared timid fuckwits behind the wheel have no-where to overtake the scared timid fuckwits who all want to go for a 'tootle' along our main highway from Welly at 80kph. Thus making our journeys up this inadequate peice of road all the more frustrating, because we can't overtake because all the f-ing passing lanes are closed.

HELLO wake up transport NZ all you are doing is making it so that some frustrated testerone fueled idiot will now get so impatient they'll make a desperate overtake manouver somewhere they WILL cause an accident.

I was thinking about take a walk up to transport NZ's offices to have a moan, but I don't speak monkey so it would be pointless.

Rant over, I'm going back to my work (sorry for the spelling mistakes, I can't spell when I'm angry:2thumbsup)

Murray
23rd December 2009, 12:34
I'd be happy to follow someone tootleing out of Wellington at 80kph this time of year!

lee
23rd December 2009, 12:37
the probelm is not everyone will and some dipstick will wind up in a ditch/wrapped around a tree because they're too impatient and no longer have anywhere safe to overtake

imdying
23rd December 2009, 12:38
Have some patience, it won't kill you... unlike having an overinflated view of your own talents as a rider because you're not one of those 'timid fuckwits' :rolleyes:

wbks
23rd December 2009, 12:39
So they're too impatient and will die because of it, but you're just being impatient to cope?

spacemonkey
23rd December 2009, 12:42
80k's.... *sigh* if only. :(

sinned
23rd December 2009, 12:42
SH2 is the secret to getting out of Wellington in a cage when the traffic is even moderate. It adds about 15Kms to a trip up the East Coast and a bit more if going to Taupo via the gorge and then SH1. Can save you hours of time.

allycatz
23rd December 2009, 13:14
But the passing lane before Waikanae doesnt get used for passing...itends up with two solid stationary rows of traffic, whilst people decide whos going to go first at the end of it. It does move the traffic through quicker. When I lived at Waikanae beach it could take over an hour just to get from Paraparaumu to the Waikanae lights

Swoop
23rd December 2009, 13:21
Basically those amebas at the the transport agency think its a good idea to close passing lanes on SH1 around Otaki and Waikanai over the christmas holiday as this "eases traffic flow and creates less accidents" I mean WTF!!!!!
Contrary to your opinion, it is a very good thing to close the passing lanes. The average NZ licence-holding retards think that an overtaking attempt is "possible" on those lanes during a holiday period, when it actually CAUSES bottlenecks when the merge happens at the end of the lane.
Single lanes allow the flow to continue at an even pace.

Of course, on a bike there is no issue at all.

Okey Dokey
23rd December 2009, 13:35
My God, it sounds such a nightmare!

I better not mention the beautiful rides I've been having on virtually empty roads in Otago- people are stressed enough at Christmastime:sunny:

spacemonkey
23rd December 2009, 13:39
My God, it sounds such a nightmare!

I better not mention the beautiful rides I've been having on virtually empty roads in Otago- people are stressed enough at Christmastime:sunny:

Yeah but it still beats trying to get out of Auckland! :cool:

allycatz
23rd December 2009, 13:40

Or in, for that matter.....

Maha
23rd December 2009, 13:45
Im all for the closure of passing lanes during a long weekend and/or over the Xmas period. Traffic does flow better because you dont get the 2 into 1 senario when the passing lane finishes. When they are kept open, thats when you get the wankers still trying to use them even though traffic is at a stand still.

Okey Dokey
23rd December 2009, 13:45

Well, every cloud has a silver lining, they say.

neels
23rd December 2009, 13:46
It saves the nose to tail accidents caused when the person that was doing 80 speeds up to 110 on the passing lane and then jams on the brakes at the end to get back down to 80.

I hate those people.

lee
23rd December 2009, 15:00
Have some patience, it won't kill you... unlike having an overinflated view of your own talents as a rider because you're not one of those 'timid fuckwits' :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I will (albeit unhappily) sit behind someone doing 80 because I know that I'll be in a van and it simply doesn't have the power to overtake/I know that the safe places to pass are the passing lanes (and they'll be closed). All i'm saying is I think this is more dangerous than they realise. I always remember signs on the highway in Scotland that said something along this lines of "furstration kills, pull over and let faster traffic through". I always thought that was pretty reasonable.

Sorry if I'm being harsh to people who drive at 80, but it only takes one to hold up everyone else. I don't mind people travelling this slow/fast (dependant upon your viewpoint), but I do mind the fact that they don't seem to realise there are other people on the road who can happily (and safely) travel nearer the posted limit. I think it's a bit inconsiderate if they don't allow faster traffic to pass (and there will be less opportunity with the passing lanes closed).

Wow, this is much better than work.

Laxi
23rd December 2009, 15:23
the cones dont mean closed. they mean reserved for MBs:ride:

imdying
23rd December 2009, 15:24
You're quite right, people driving out of sync can drive you nuts (ba dom tish (http://www.instantrimshot.com/)), just don't let them get to you... you'll need your wits about you to avoid people doing idiotic things because they're frustrated.

Paaaatienceeee, plenty of time to take over the world when you get where you're going :yes: :evil:

/edit: Oh come on moderators, no evil smiley? WTF is this place coming too... :sob:

kiwisfly
23rd December 2009, 19:36
breath dude...peace out. those pink coney things across the passing lane do work when traffic is heavy. Better to move, admittedly slowly, than melt in a rage in a stationary car. 2 cents!

sunhuntin
23rd December 2009, 19:53
mum and i went down to tawa yesterday for a trademe pick up, and the number of numptys who left passing until the last second, nearly causing nose to tails when they squeezed into non existant gaps, was amazing.

muzz
23rd December 2009, 20:06
the cones dont mean closed. they mean reserved for MBs:ride:

I thought they where there for the slalom.:whistle:

ajturbo
24th December 2009, 07:19
Contrary to your opinion, it is a very good thing to close the passing lanes. The average NZ licence-holding retards think that an overtaking attempt is "possible" on those lanes during a holiday period, when it actually CAUSES bottlenecks when the merge happens at the end of the lane.

yeah.. i use the conned off lanes to "over" take....

James Deuce
24th December 2009, 07:24
We used to drag our sorry arses up to Auckland every Christmas and undoubtedly the most threatening stretch of road was those few overtaking lanes. The worst I saw was 5 cars abreast at the North end of the lanes South of Waikanae. 4 cars travelling North, one South. No one hit each other but two of those cars would have needed fumigation.

The Everlasting
24th December 2009, 07:36
the probelm is not everyone will and some dipstick will wind up in a ditch/wrapped around a tree because they're too impatient and no longer have anywhere safe to overtake

Seems like your one of those impatient people...:laugh:

avgas
24th December 2009, 07:43
Life must be full of disappointment for you man.

duckonin
24th December 2009, 07:54
We used to drag our sorry arses up to Auckland every Christmas and undoubtedly the most threatening stretch of road was those few overtaking lanes. The worst I saw was 5 cars abreast at the North end of the lanes South of Waikanae. 4 cars travelling North, one South. No one hit each other but two of those cars would have needed fumigation.

Then Lee's post has been vindicated, the frustration of those going slower without pulling over to let the traffic flow create aggressive driving..

When the traffic is flowing at 100-105kph most drivers are more than happy to flow at that speed, have one in the front of a queue doing 80k's then the twenty or so behind are not going to be happy chappies:mad: it is all well and good to say be patient, especially when you ride a motorbike, how many motorcyclists sit in a queue doing 80k's and hour?, almost none, for them it is a "game" to pass and get to the front so they can be on their way...

The other biggie is no one is prepared to yield when driving toward each other, it becomes a serious game called as we knew it back a few years ago playing (chicken) and believe me there were some serious moments back then even at 45-50 MPH,cars were way slower than today giving time to react, Hmmm!!! harder today...

The most impatient drivers come from the big citys

howdamnhard
24th December 2009, 08:03

100% agreed. In my experience this is exactly what happens . Better to have one smoothly flowing lane than two blocked lanes. Use a bike problem solved.:2thumbsup

James Deuce
24th December 2009, 08:19
Then Lee's post has been vindicated, the frustration of those going slower without pulling over to let the traffic flow create aggressive driving..

When the traffic is flowing at 100-105kph most drivers are more than happy to flow at that speed, have one in the front of a queue doing 80k's then the twenty or so behind are not going to be happy chappies:mad: it is all well and good to say be patient, especially when you ride a motorbike, how many motorcyclists sit in a queue doing 80k's and hour?, almost none, for them it is a "game" to pass and get to the front so they can be on their way...

The other biggie is no one is prepared to yield when driving toward each other, it becomes a serious game called as we knew it back a few years ago playing (chicken) and believe me there were some serious moments back then even at 45-50 MPH,cars were way slower than today giving time to react, Hmmm!!! harder today...

The most impatient drivers come from the big citys
Nooooo that was before they used to close the overtaking lanes. Ever since they've done that the "issue" has gone away.

duckonin
24th December 2009, 08:55
Nooooo that was before they used to close the overtaking lanes. Ever since they've done that the "issue" has gone away.

Yes you do have some serious traffic problems down your way and up in the Auck's region, my thoughts are based on the average passing lanes, and what happens when those who have been driving at 80ks then get to the passing lanes and yep you can finnish..

Most times using the ferries we encounter unbelievable traffic to "us" around Waikanae, paekakariki area, and have seen some real bad shit around the QE2 park area, so at this point I shall withdraw some of my statement due to the fact it is unqualified, but I can imagine idiots 5 abreast...they need to:Playnice:

rebel
24th December 2009, 09:07
The original poster has obviously never tried getting into Wellington on a Sunday afternoon. I've seen traffic banked all the way up to Levin from Pram before, with the passing lanes open, most motorists are good about it with pretty much all traffic in the slow lane. You get the odd impatient cunt (probably and Aucklander) who tries to pass everyone but a truck usually blocks the passing lane off.
I don't know why they are blocking them off over the holiday period, maybe to prevent bottlenecks, caused by an increase of dickhead Auckland drivers heading south.

For something different I came into Wellington yesterday via Napier and Wairarapa, what a fucking good drive, only added an extra 100km and I didn't have to put up with the boring drive south of Levin.

duckonin
24th December 2009, 09:16
The original poster has obviously never tried getting into Wellington on a Sunday afternoon. I've seen traffic banked all the way up to Levin from Pram before, with the passing lanes open, most motorists are good about it with pretty much all traffic in the slow lane. You get the odd impatient cunt (probably and Aucklander) who tries to pass everyone but a truck usually blocks the passing lane off.
I don't know why they are blocking them off over the holiday period, maybe to prevent bottlenecks, caused by an increase of dickhead Auckland drivers heading south.

For something different I came into Wellington yesterday via Napier and Wairarapa, what a fucking good drive, only added an extra 100km and I didn't have to put up with the boring drive south of Levin.

Yep the best way to get to Welly for sure...Just read headlines on "stuff"

'Absolute Bedlam' on Wellington roads, yes Now I have a better understanding but still not as good as first hand experiance..:2thumbsup

marty
24th December 2009, 09:43
The best way to get to Wellington? On the ferry from Picton. Or in a 737.

Beemer
24th December 2009, 09:49
But the passing lane before Waikanae doesnt get used for passing...itends up with two solid stationary rows of traffic, whilst people decide whos going to go first at the end of it. It does move the traffic through quicker. When I lived at Waikanae beach it could take over an hour just to get from Paraparaumu to the Waikanae lights

I was working in Kapiti recently and noticed on the way home north that no one used the right-hand passing lane just south of Waikanae - everyone stayed in the left lane so there was no great rush to be 'first' at the end where it merges into one lane.

The problem is, it's not that people get impatient, it's that they have NO FUCKING IDEA how to merge when passing lanes end, so they all sit there, looking ahead and swearing black and blue that they won't let in the 'fuckwit' on their right!

So while I moan along with the rest of you, it does actually seem to prevent these bottle-necks in peak traffic.

Grubber
24th December 2009, 10:08
Not so sure about that. I've done the exit out of Welly on a weekend holiday and it aint pretty..

Clockwork
24th December 2009, 10:32
IMHO the root cause of the problem are the numpties who drive at 80kph compounded by those who speed up to 100kph on the passing lanes further compounded by those that use the passing lanes (while trying to stay as close to the speed limit as they can, for obvious reasons)

All this means that when a passing oppportunity arrises, many desperate road users charge into it in an attempt to get past said numpties leading to an "apparent" inability to merge properly.

I reckon we need more passing opportunities and a little more consideration from slower drivers. (And maybe the Police should avoid setting up their speed checks on passing lanes)

ajturbo
24th December 2009, 10:58
(And maybe the Police should avoid setting up their speed checks on passing lanes)

how the hell do you think they will get their quota if not???

Swoop
24th December 2009, 11:02
The best way to get to Wellington? ... Or in a 737.
Dunno. Getting into Wellytown Ive had some serious brown-trouser moments in 737's... :buggerd::weep:

CookMySock
24th December 2009, 11:04
All they are doing is making it so that those of us who can drive and aren't scared timid fuckwits behind the wheel have no-where to overtake the scared timid fuckwits who all want to go for a 'tootle' along our main highway from Welly at 80kph. Thus making our journeys up this inadequate peice of road all the more frustrating, because we can't overtake because all the f-ing passing lanes are closed. My 15 y/o learner daughter is on her bike today, doing her very first four-hour ride to a major city, and assholes with attitudes like yours are exactly the people we fear the most.

Get your head in order or get off the road.

Steve

MIXONE
24th December 2009, 11:25
Dunno. Getting into Wellytown Ive had some serious brown-trouser moments in 737's... :buggerd::weep:

You know that when all the passengers erupt into spontaneous applause on the runway that it was a scarey landing.That happens quite often here at Welly.

Tank
24th December 2009, 11:26
My 15 y/o learner daughter is on her bike today, doing her very first four-hour ride to a major city, and assholes with attitudes like yours are exactly the people we fear the most.

Steve

What fucks me off is drop kicks that put 15yo learners onto motorways for the first time on one of the busiest days of the year.

Fucken Darwin award in the making.

pzkpfw
24th December 2009, 11:43
There's a huge difference between:
* roads that are not full, where passing a "slow" person helps you get on with things, and
* roads that are at capacity, where the traffic is slow but it's not one person, it's the whole road.

When the roads are "full", passing a few people makes no difference to you. You still end up in the long long queue of slow traffic, just a few tens of metres further forward than your previous position. Even if everybody drove perfectly (merged properly at the ends of the passing lanes etc), passing lanes make no sense in full roads.

(What we need are four lanes, Auckland to Wellington, the whole bloody way. Passing lanes (on SH1) are for Third world countries.)

avgas
24th December 2009, 11:51
be thankful you can take a bike out this holidays.
Why is it that people are so concerned about what they can't do?
I mean if you want to be miserable on Christmas - go right ahead.
I am going to have a mighty time, even if I am stuck in traffic in the car.

Tank
24th December 2009, 11:53
My 15 y/o learner daughter is on her bike today, doing her very first four-hour ride to a major city, and assholes with attitudes like yours are exactly the people we fear the most.

Steve

Hey DB - One one hand you want people with their heads in order - but you post stuff like this:

Reminds me when I sat my restricted on my 650 (I had an exemption), the clock on the bike was about 20min fast so I "discovered" on the way there I was about 15 minutes "late". So here I am lane-splitting the fuck out of the open road at about 130k on a fooken noisy vtwin with an L plate on. How the hell I wasn't *555'ed I'll never know.

Steve

So is it only important for other people to be sensible when its your princess on the road - but fuck everybody else?