PDA

View Full Version : Designated trifle maker

Skyryder
23rd December 2009, 20:47
My turn this year. Anyone got a decent trifle recipee, must have some alcohol in it. Sherry Port etc. And no jokes about the custard.

Skyryder

Pussy
23rd December 2009, 20:56
Can't help you in the manufacture.....

But I've got eating bloody heaps of it down to a fine art!

Can that be of any assistance? :whistle:

Hitcher
23rd December 2009, 21:42
My turn this year. Anyone got a decent trifle recipee, must have some alcohol in it. Sherry Port etc.

Ingredients:

Trifle sponge (supermarket bakeries sell this)
Raspberry jam (Anathoth is best for several reasons)
Edmonds Custard Powder
Milk
Sugar (demerara)
Bundaburg ginger beer
Sherry/port (cheap is good)
Some sort of topping (I use a packet of jubes)

Method:
Following the directions on the packet, make double quantity of custard. Reduce the prescribed sugar level to less than half (because there's lots more sweetening going in this sucker)
Cut up one slab of trifle sponge into about 9 bits
Into a flat pan, tip about half of a small bottle of ginger beer (use Bundaburg because it actually contains ginger, "ginger ale" and other imitations don't)
Add a couple of decent glugs of the sherry/port
Stand the diced sponge in this until its about one-third wet
Place the infused sponge pieces in a single layer in the bottom of a bowl that's at least 150mm high.
Pop the top on the raspberry jam (Anathoth comes in a plastic punnet) and nuke it in the microwave on full power for about one-and-a-half minutes.
Drizzle some runny jam on the first level of sponge.
Tip on the hot custard so that it just covers all of the jammy sponge.
Replenish the liquour with the remaining ginger beer and another couple of glugs of sherry/port.
Infuse another 9 chunks of sponge as above.
Place the infused sponge bits in the bowl atop the first layer of custard.
Drizzle raspberry jam as for the layer below.
Pour on the remaining custard so that all of the sponge is evenly covered.
Allow to stand and cool for about half an hour.
Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Festoon liberally with the jubes prior to serving.
Enjoy!

Serves two.

Gareth123
23rd December 2009, 21:48
Trifle sponge is such a have! As a baker for woolies I can tell you that trifle sponge is exactly the same as normal sponge. We just put the word trifle in front of it so that we sell heaps more!

SUCKERS!!!:lol:

Hitcher
23rd December 2009, 21:53
Trifle sponge is such a have! As a baker for woolies I can tell you that trifle sponge is exactly the same as normal sponge. We just put the word trifle in front of it so that we sell heaps more!

Its advantage is its dimensions. Normal "sponges" are generally thicker and rounder. Thinner, rectangular slabs are much better to work with.

Ocean1
23rd December 2009, 21:58
Its advantage is its dimensions. Normal "sponges" are generally thicker and rounder. Thinner, rectangular slabs are much better to work with.

The main criteria for trifle sponge has traditionally been that it's somewhat stale.

Hitcher
23rd December 2009, 22:03
The main criteria for trifle sponge has traditionally been that it's somewhat stale.

Stale sponge is somewhat crumbly, making it suboptimal when handled as described above.

High Lord
23rd December 2009, 22:14
DIY edmunds 1 egg sponge.If Yah gonna make it anyway... Whiskey Whipped Cream.... Oh yeah..

Trudes
24th December 2009, 04:56
Om Nom Nom Nom!! I love trifle!!:drool:
My Uncle used to make the trifle every year, I don't know how he did it, but Geezus it was good!!! One of my aunts makes a good one, she does tend to drown it in sherry however.......:whistle:
So here's how I make mine:
Spread one side of a trifle sponge with jam (Hitcher is right about the Anathoth jams...YUM!), slap another trifle sponge onto the jam and then break the sponge up into squares and soak in sherry until just about soaking and then line a bowl with them. Pour some custard over. Put in a drained tin of fruit salad. Put in cut up jelly. Put in rest of the custard and smooth top and put on a layer of cream, top with chocolate shavings or strawberries. NOM!!
Enjoy!

Str8 Jacket
24th December 2009, 06:00
I use those jams rolls that you buy at the supermarket and slice them and use a glass bowl so it looks all flash like if you lay the pieces of sponge correctly.... ;)

Beemer
24th December 2009, 09:20
Excellent work Hitcher - I'm impressed! About to go and make mine now. Mine serves one - Andy doesn't like it so I scoff the lot! (Not in one go though!)

Gareth123
24th December 2009, 09:21
I use those jams rolls that you buy at the supermarket and slice them and use a glass bowl so it looks all flash like if you lay the pieces of sponge correctly.... ;)

Something like this? But in a bowl? This is a Charlotte Royale. A very nice dessert. Not a Christmas one though.

Str8 Jacket
24th December 2009, 09:28
Something like this? But in a bowl? This is a Charlotte Royale. A very nice dessert. Not a Christmas one though.

Yeah, kinda but yeah in a bowl cause its trifle. You pretty much just decorate the outside of the bowl nicley and then cut all the trifle for the middle bit up like you would normal trifle sponge.

Beemer
24th December 2009, 09:43
This is probably what Str8 Jacket is talking about - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-1207889/Recipe-Mad-Hatter-s-Tea-time-Trifle.html

Looks really great and easily than fiddling around with a trifle sponge and jam!

Funny how many men hate trifle! I make a pav and a trifle and eat both, but the other half only likes the pav, hates cold custard!

Pussy
24th December 2009, 12:38
Funny how many men hate trifle!

This one doesn't! :niceone:

HenryDorsetCase
24th December 2009, 19:42
Ingredients:

Trifle sponge (supermarket bakeries sell this)
Raspberry jam (Anathoth is best for several reasons)
Edmonds Custard Powder
Milk
Sugar (demerara)
Bundaburg ginger beer
Sherry/port (cheap is good)
Some sort of topping (I use a packet of jubes)

Method:
Following the directions on the packet, make double quantity of custard. Reduce the prescribed sugar level to less than half (because there's lots more sweetening going in this sucker)
Cut up one slab of trifle sponge into about 9 bits
Into a flat pan, tip about half of a small bottle of ginger beer (use Bundaburg because it actually contains ginger, "ginger ale" and other imitations don't)
Add a couple of decent glugs of the sherry/port
Stand the diced sponge in this until its about one-third wet
Place the infused sponge pieces in a single layer in the bottom of a bowl that's at least 150mm high.
Pop the top on the raspberry jam (Anathoth comes in a plastic punnet) and nuke it in the microwave on full power for about one-and-a-half minutes.
Drizzle some runny jam on the first level of sponge.
Tip on the hot custard so that it just covers all of the jammy sponge.
Replenish the liquour with the remaining ginger beer and another couple of glugs of sherry/port.
Infuse another 9 chunks of sponge as above.
Place the infused sponge bits in the bowl atop the first layer of custard.
Drizzle raspberry jam as for the layer below.
Pour on the remaining custard so that all of the sponge is evenly covered.
Allow to stand and cool for about half an hour.
Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Festoon liberally with the jubes prior to serving.
Enjoy!

Serves two.

nice!

sounds delish

rachprice
24th December 2009, 20:12
Little late but I saw Nigella do this one that looked amazing!
Blackberry and as the alcohol had limoncello! Looked beautiful, I dont normally like trifle but I think I might like that!

http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe_detail.aspx?rid=313

TimeOut
24th December 2009, 20:27
This is probably what Str8 Jacket is talking about - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-1207889/Recipe-Mad-Hatter-s-Tea-time-Trifle.html

Funny how many men hate trifle!

Not this one either.

I make the pav and trifle and eat them both:2thumbsup

Fatjim
24th December 2009, 20:37
Hitchers recipe is pretty close. However, a couple of vital ingredients missing.

Firstly, custard isn't custard without Bananas. Get some sliced bananas in their mate.

Also., with the sponge, put a tin of drain boysenberries.

Also, if you can be bothered, a good egg custard shows you care to the ones you love.

And before you argue, I didn't get where I am today without knowing a thing or two about custard!

Mrs Busa Pete
25th December 2009, 09:30
So is there any other version of trifle because i dont make it very often but remember putting jelly in it like before it sets ?

James Deuce
25th December 2009, 09:41
nice!

sounds delish

It was. Muahahaha.

Had some for breakfast too.

Banana custard is for stroke patients.

Fatjim
25th December 2009, 11:26
Pot ............

James Deuce
25th December 2009, 11:51
http://www.breworganic.com/ProductImages/pots_and_systems/7.5-gal-pot.jpeg
Yes?

Fatjim
25th December 2009, 13:04
indeed
http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f1j00gBvQiblyCLoHM/1-6-Litre-Stainless-Steel-Kettle-KT009-C-.jpg