PDA

View Full Version : Please help. Installing Windows on PC

BASS-TREBLE
24th December 2009, 11:33
Acer Aspire One Netbook

Long story short, I went to reinstall windows on my laptop.
A mate had the setup disc for media center 2005 but no key, stupid me thought it was the key that is on the side of the PC cases. We have a PC that doesn't run which had Media Center so I tried using that key of the label but no luck.

Before I knew that that key didn't work I went to boot of the CD etc and got to the point where it asks for the key.

I have now located a XP professional setup CD which I have a working key for.

When I try to boot of this CD, it tells me setup is restarting, but it resumes from the point where it has the pretty background, saying setup will be finished in 36mins in the corner etc... and then it asks me to reinsert the old CD that I was unsuccessful of getting the right key for.

My question,
I understand I would need to reformat the drive, as I was told to with the initial CD, but it doesn't seem to give me that option.
Is there a way to format it?

Thank you in advance

Have a safe and Merry Christmas

firefighter
24th December 2009, 11:36
I take it punching the screen and smashing the keyboard did'nt work? :lol:

crazyhorse
24th December 2009, 11:57
http://www.boxdogbikes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/funny-pictures-cat-install-invisible-windows.jpg

p.dath
24th December 2009, 12:01
Note that not all keys and be used with all CD's. In your case, a key on the side of your machine will probably only work with an OEM CD, and typically, only with an Acer OEM CD.

You should re-image your machine using the CD's that came with the machine. If you don't have them I suggest buying a replacement set from Acer (ring up their support centre).

Failing that, and assuming you have an OEM CD, you could ring Microsoft and ask if they will issue you a new key to use with the OEM CD you have.

aderino4
24th December 2009, 12:33
If it resumed from the pretty background screen that means it didn't boot up form the CD but merely from the stuff that has already been copied to the computer during the ugly blue screen phase.

You may need to press "any" key when the screen says "Attempting to boot from CD, press any key to boot from CD"

That way it will force the machine to boot from CD.

avgas
24th December 2009, 12:35
then delete all partitions usually by pressing "d" then "L" then install on the "unformatted" partition

Latte
24th December 2009, 12:35
Could be wrong, but it sounds like the PC is set to boot off the HD 1st, so it's picking up the Media Center partial install. Go into your bios and confirm it's set to Boot from CD 1st (and change it if it's not). Otherwise it may be the XP CD is not bootable for various reasons (scratched etc). XP CD's always come up with the "Press any key to boot off CD . . . . . " line 1st - so if you're not getting that it's pretty definite a Boot issue.

Ronin
24th December 2009, 14:16
Try this.

Turn on the pc, hold down the alt key and keep pressing F10.

Acer's have a hidden recovery partition with the image of windows on it. You wont need to use the key.

If that wont work (disk corrupt etc) then reboot using the windows pro cd. Follow your nose to delete your old copy. You know you will lose all your data right? Your key will work, OEM or not.

Ronin
24th December 2009, 14:18
Note that not all keys and be used with all CD's. In your case, a key on the side of your machine will probably only work with an OEM CD, and typically, only with an Acer OEM CD.

You should re-image your machine using the CD's that came with the machine. If you don't have them I suggest buying a replacement set from Acer (ring up their support centre).

Failing that, and assuming you have an OEM CD, you could ring Microsoft and ask if they will issue you a new key to use with the OEM CD you have.

Nope. OEM key or not, they all work assuming you have your Pro or Home worked out.

Rupe
24th December 2009, 15:31
I have now located a XP professional setup CD which I have a working key for.

where did you get that from, need a copy myself!!!

Bren
24th December 2009, 16:57
where did you get that from, need a copy myself!!!

WWW.ISOHUNT.COM (http://www.ISOHUNT.COM) is your friend....

They (Microshaft) dont support XP any more do they? if thats the case it must be freeware...

riffer
24th December 2009, 17:18
WWW.ISOHUNT.COM (http://www.ISOHUNT.COM) is your friend....

They (Microshaft) dont support XP any more do they? if thats the case it must be freeware...

You wish. Support has been extended until April 2014. :dodge:

kevfromcoro
24th December 2009, 18:12
On the subject of computers..
Iam in OZ... got a mobile prepay setup.
i usually but about half a 500 megsbites at time.. which lasts me about 3 weeks..
ok... the last one just wont run out.. been downloading all sorts of shit..
still got heaps of credit on it.
cant understand it..
am i picking up someone elses router ?
dunno..

Gremlin
25th December 2009, 23:09
Nope. OEM key or not, they all work assuming you have your Pro or Home worked out.
No, certain keys work with certain discs, there's a rather large range, but essentially, you need HP keys to work on HP Hardware and HP OEM cd's etc. I haven't done too much testing, but there are definitely restrictions...

err... where's this problem up to?

gatch
25th December 2009, 23:13
I have a 4lb hammer you can borrow..

"I'll format you good!!!"

p.dath
26th December 2009, 10:55

Negative. I'm 100% certain from past experience that not all OEM keys work with all XP CD's, home or otherwise.

We've had to order in CD's to match the keys several times to overcome this issue.

Ronin
26th December 2009, 11:01
Negative. I'm 100% certain from past experience that not all OEM keys work with all XP CD's, home or otherwise.

We've had to order in CD's to match the keys several times to overcome this issue.

On reflection I have to *gag, cough splutter* admit you are correct. However, the percentage of those that haven't worked are very very low.

Gremlin
30th December 2009, 15:58
On reflection I have to *gag, cough splutter* admit you are correct. However, the percentage of those that haven't worked are very very low.
Depends what you work with. OEM machines all have the problem re specific keys and discs needed... otherwise it would be very easy to re-use OEM stuff, which is against the licensing.

Ronin
30th December 2009, 16:00
Depends what you work with. OEM machines all have the problem re specific keys and discs needed... otherwise it would be very easy to re-use OEM stuff, which is against the licensing.

90% of the machines I work with are OEM. Go figure.