PDA

View Full Version : One year on: Aprilia SL750 Shiver

Hitcher
27th December 2009, 18:23
The Christmas-New Year break each year has proven poignant for me as a motorcyclist.

Seven years ago I decided there was only one way of curing the motorcycle "itch" I had had for most of my life. I decided that if I could locate a helmet large enough, that would be the omen necessary. Sully, in those days employed by Sawyer Motorcycles on Adelaide Road, came to my rescue and the rest they say is history.

Five years ago I traded in my beloved ZRX1200R for a Honda ST1300.

Four years ago, on Boxing Day, my ST1300 and I "went down the road" in Bulls. I broke a collarbone and several bits on the ST. An associated concussion resulted in me having no memory of this event nor of the minutes preceding it.

In keeping with this "anniversary" theme, last year I test rode an Aprilia SL750 Shiver. On 4 January 2009 I bought one. In Cult White. Whoar.

Since then I have completed about 31,000km on this hot little naked Italian.

That's four sets of tyres (Dunlop Qualifier OEMS, Avon Storm STs, Conti Motions, and Pirelli Angel STs) and two services (initial and at 20,000km).

The year's riding includes a Grand Challenge, a bit of touring, some brisk trips over my beloved Rimutakas and the odd burst of two-up riding.

So what's my verdict? Despite the best efforts of Triumph New Zealand Ltd (this country's official Aprilia distributor) to convince me otherwise, I love my Shiver.

It's a delight to ride in any conditions. It has rekindled my love for naked bikes and exposed me to the joys of V twins (although the howl of an inline four still makes me tingle in strange places). The Shiver goes, stops and handles.

The ergonomics of the Shiver were the first thing to impress me about it on last year's test ride. It's easy to sit on for hour after hour and eat up highway.

My biggest misgiving prior to purchase was the 15 litre tank. With average fuel economy at about 4.5 litres per 100km, "fumes" is somewhere between 250 and 300km, probably closer to 300 than to 250. There is no fuel gauge. The warning light comes on with 4 litres to go and after it has been on solidly for a couple of minutes, the display changes to inform how many km have been travelled on "reserve". I reckon that over two hours in the saddle is long enough and a bit of a stretch while refuelling my steed is a good idea.

When it works**, the multifunction display is an absolute pearler. It's easy to read and the various functions can be displayed using the mode switch on the left-hand control.

All of the Shivers sold or currently being offered as new for sale in New Zealand are the 2008 model. They're easily distinguished by their gold trellis frames. The early Shivers have a downloadable "tri" mode that is installed at their first service. The three modes are Sport, Touring and Rain, denoted on the display panel as S, T or R.

Aprilia claim 92 brake at the crank for the Shiver. R mode drops this to about 70 brake. I don't get the point of this at all. A Shiver is a 750cc motorcycle. Even in S mode they don't light up dangerously in any conditions that I've encountered.

T mode flattens out the throttle response and makes no difference that I've been able to spot in terms of fuel economy. Consequently my bike stays in S mode all the time.

As well as a tall seat height (definitely not a bike for shorties) the Shiver also has a tall first gear. Slow riding requires quite a bit of clutch work. This is also the first bike I've ever owned where first was a legitimate riding gear. I use it quite a bit on the Rimutakas, particularly when riding behind slow traffic.

I've got my soft limiter set at 10,500rpm but rarely get within 4,000rpm of that. The L twin is happiest between 4,000 and 6,000rpm, so that's where it spends most of its time when I'm astride it. I understand that the front wheel can be elevated at 7,000rpm in first gear...

Modifications? I've got Oxford heated grips and a Ventura pack rack on. I've also imported from the UK an Aprilia screen, an EP radiator guard, and a rear hugger. Crazefox did a brilliant job matching the Cult White (white with a blue pearl) and painting the hugger. I've also fitted my Garmin zumo 550, which has served as my primary speed and distance measuring device for most of this year.

So my verdict after a year? The Shiver gets a solid 8 out of 10. It's not perfect -- the rear suspension would benefit from a slightly longer travel (particularly when riding two-up), and a Memjet or Power Commander could help smooth out occasional lumpy low speed fuelling. Otherwise it goes just brilliantly and suits this rider very well indeed, to a point where I'm not sure what I would buy if I had to seek out another bike. If Aprilia is, as rumoured, thinking of a 1200cc Shiver then I may well import a new one from Australia. Until then...

**The one black spot on my year's riding has been Triumph New Zealand Ltd. I had to wait over nine months for a faulty speed sensor to be replaced under warranty. I am prepared to forgive lack of communication and slow response times when importing parts from overseas. However if Ed at AF1 in Texas can deliver genuine Aprilia parts to my door within days I struggle to see why the official distributor can't offer similar service levels. I am less forgiving, however, of childish petulance and Aprilia owners being dragged into grievances involving former retailers. I'm still waiting on a second part that was lodged as part of an accepted warranty claim back in March 2009. Its arrival is part of a little test I have set up with Triumph New Zealand who clearly have forgotten about it. On a 10 scale Triumph score a grudging 1 because a part that was ordered through them eventually arrived, albeit late and spitefully.

Until such time as Triumph New Zealand proves that it is a serious and committed distributor, I cannot recommend that anybody in this country should buy a new Aprilia of any model.

Grahameeboy
27th December 2009, 18:36
So the Shiver does not make you shiver in all the right places eh :msn-wink:

All the Aprillia's look classy....bit for funds....I was very tempted by a 2002 Falco SL with low miles for $9,000.

Usarka
27th December 2009, 18:42
750 is the best size 'sickle engine.....

98tls
27th December 2009, 18:48
Good read H,shame about Triumph eh,when will some of these guys wake up.

Grahameeboy
27th December 2009, 18:54
Good read H,shame about Triumph eh,when will some of these guys wake up.

Was it Triumph or the dealer....

puddytat
27th December 2009, 18:56
Nice read there fella, I wonder if Triumph is as lacksadasical with there own parts?

kevfromcoro
27th December 2009, 18:56
at last.. an aprilia thread...
do you know anything about the 650 pegasos..
bit of an ADV bike......
seem to be fairly good bike for the dollar.......

Crasherfromwayback
27th December 2009, 18:57
**The one black spot on my year's riding has been Triumph New Zealand Ltd. I had to wait over nine months for a faulty speed sensor to be replaced under warranty. I am prepared to forgive lack of communication and slow response times when importing parts from overseas. However if Ed at AF1 in Texas can deliver genuine Aprilia parts to my door within days I struggle to see why the official distributor can't offer similar service levels. I am less forgiving, however, of childish petulance and Aprilia owners being dragged into grievances involving former retailers. I'm still waiting on a second part that was lodged as part of an accepted warranty claim back in March 2009. Its arrival is part of a little test I have set up with Triumph New Zealand who clearly have forgotten about it. On a 10 scale Triumph score a grudging 1 because a part that was ordered through them eventually arrived, albeit late and spitefully.

Until such time as Triumph New Zealand proves that it is a serious and committed distributor, I cannot recommend that anybody in this country should buy a new Aprilia of any model.

They're a cool bike...disributed by a shit distributor. As a salesman I miss Triumph...and I'd like to sell Aprilias...but not when they're through TNZ.

Hitcher
27th December 2009, 18:57
Was it Triumph or the dealer....

Please try and keep up. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=114875

98tls
27th December 2009, 18:59
Was it Triumph or the dealer.... Yea good point though i guess the dealer is representative of Triumph.

James Deuce
27th December 2009, 19:27
Yea good point though i guess the dealer is representative of Triumph.

Not in this instance. The dealer isn't and never has been a Triumph dealer. The Shiver in question was bought through the previous distributor of Aprilia in NZ and the dealer was handed a fait accompli.

Usarka
27th December 2009, 19:55
The Shiver in question was bought through the previous distributor of Aprilia in NZ and the dealer was handed a fait accompli.

I just love those french pastries.

James Deuce
27th December 2009, 19:55
It's the custard filling.

Gareth51
27th December 2009, 20:13
A year already, doesn't time fly when you're having fun

Paul in NZ
27th December 2009, 20:20
This importer has a certain reputation - one that gladdens the heart of american exporters of motorcycle parts but hardens the heart of the factories that make the alternative brands.... and the people that buy them...

Frodo
28th December 2009, 06:52
at last.. an aprilia thread...
do you know anything about the 650 pegasos..
bit of an ADV bike......
seem to be fairly good bike for the dollar.......

Kev

I've got a Pegaso, 2006 model bought as a low km demonstator in July 2007. I've ridden 48,000km on it since then. The reason it was a "low km demonstrator" is that fuelling was a real bitch. Too lean at 3,000-4,000rpm (i.e. around town revs) made it snatchy and surgey. A Power Commander has largely corrected that. Fuelling is improved on the current models (with exhaust oxygen sensor).

So am I happy with the bike? Well, it meets my needs just about perfectly. I must admit most of my miles are commuting in Wellington traffic - its upright riding position lets me look over cars in front. I fitted a low guard off a 2004 Pegaso (with the Rotax motor). This was a straight fit and keeps road water off me and the bike. It loves a blast over Hitcher's beloved Rimutakas and as a consequence, so do I. The 45mm Marzocchi front forks and the rear Sachs shock are great, which is just as well as there is no adjustment up front and only preload and rebound dampening at the back.

My parents live in Tauranga and its a load of fun to ride there for a weekend. I have a Givi topbox and Givi panniers, which have taken me on a campin trip around the North Island and will soon do the same for the South. Fuel consumption is consistently around 20km/l, so that gives me a range of around 300km/l, which is about the point my bum wants a rest. I am loathe to test the range, as Pegaso fuel pumps sometimes fail (which I think is due to running the pump dry) and they are expensive to replace.

Its a better bike on the gravel than I am. I have Michelin Anakees which give me the security I need on wet Wellington roads (I commute in all weather) albeit with some compromise in gravel (I like them better than the original Pirelli Scorpion S/T s and the Mitas E-08 I replaced those with). I fitted Givi engine bars (the waterpump is very exposed) and tested them only once (when the notorious Wellington breezes blew the bike over). Personally I find the 19-inch front is a good compromise between seal and gravel manners.

But the Pegaso is no trail bike. Its a little lighter than BMW's F650 single and Kawa's KLR 650 but significantly heavier than a DR650. So if you want a bike for single tracks, get something lighter. Seat height should not be a problem for most riders. But the motor is significantly more powerful than the DR and KLR, and its much more tourable than the DR. Although the BMW F650 single puts out a couple of ponies more at the top end, the Pegaso motor is much gruntier between 3,000 and 5,000 rpm, which is where you use it most on the trail. It will even pootle along at 2,000rpm in low gears.

Brendan, from Motorad, has enough faith in the Pegaso to take it with Gareth Morgan's next World-by-Bike trip through South America. Having ridden many of those roads, he's right, bar minor tweaks such as reinforcing the radiator and fan mounts.

The motor, being a SOHC, is easy to work on, but the valve covers are a pain to get to (needing to strip tank and body work). Other routine maintenance is easy. I find it very smooth for a single - as smooth (and as powerful) as a 650 Transalp that I had for 9000km.

Other stuff: headlight is brilliant. Side stand is too sort and in-board - even with a square of 7-ply added to the foot, it still blew over. The bike is physically a bit small and the motor underpowered for regular two-up riding. My mate's 650 V-strom is much better in this regard (but much more of a handful in rougher stuff). Plenty of underseat storage and room for a wallet, etc. in the cover above the petrol cap. The throttle position sensor and rear tail light were replaced under warranty (no hassles there). Changing suspension preload is a pain.

Would I get another? For my purposes it is worth the premium price over the Yam XT660R (similar motor), due to better suspension, screen, instrumentation (Yam does not have a rev counter) and it fits in between the X and R, which is what I want. I haven't ridden the KTM 640/690 equivalents nor the Yam 660 Tenere, but if I had that much dosh, I'd get the BMW F650 twin (800 motor) which suits my road/gravel compromise better.

But I'm very happy with the Pegaso and at this stage, I plan to keep it for another 48,000km (at least).

Cheers

kevfromcoro
28th December 2009, 08:22
Cheers Frodo...
Great write up....
Ian in OZ.. and looking for a touring bike with a little off road....

Hitcher
29th December 2009, 15:30
Hmmm. One suspects that one may have found one's next bike, subject to road testing, of course. Not that one is yet ready to move on from one's Shiver.

James Deuce
29th December 2009, 15:44
What is one talking about?

Hitcher
29th December 2009, 16:03

One isn't exactly sure. V twin. Good ergos. Not distributed by Triumph New Zealand.

Crasherfromwayback
29th December 2009, 16:03
One isn't exactly sure. V twin. Good ergos. Not distributed by Triumph New Zealand.

I can help you there!

Hitcher
29th December 2009, 16:14
I can help you there!

So I've seen.

slowpoke
29th December 2009, 16:45
I've got my soft limiter set at 10,500rpm but rarely get within 4,000rpm of that. The L twin is happiest between 4,000 and 6,000rpm, so that's where it spends most of its time when I'm astride it.

Hmmm. One suspects that one may have found one's next bike, subject to road testing, of course.

I can help you there!

With ones predilection for revolution conservation and the exploring of parts far removed via routes less travelled one suspects the gentleman from Wayback (given name: Crasher) may very well be one's optimum choice for bi-wheeled conveyance replacement. Ones replacement quandary could be relieved with an unexpected but fortuitous dose of Merkinism in the form of a Buell Ulysses. One Davus Gigantor (Big Dave to the commoners) would indubitably experience an uplifting sensation were he given the opportunity to provide informed feedback regarding said conveyance.

James Deuce
29th December 2009, 16:49
Mr CFWB has a single XT left.

I rather think that a Multistrada (:sick:) may be getting the once over.

You may not be looking at the mantelpiece whilst stoking the fire but other people have to look at it if they ride with him!

Crasherfromwayback
29th December 2009, 16:52

You may not be looking at the mantelpiece whilst stoking the fire but other people have to look at it if they ride with him!

Only a used one I'm afraid.

Multistrada's are great bikes to ride. There...I said it.

slowpoke
29th December 2009, 18:56

Only a used one I'm afraid.

Multistrada's are great bikes to ride. There...I said it.

Yep, starting pre-dawn and returning after dark just so you don't have to look at the blardy thing makes for a looooong day.

That said, I find the new ones intriguing rather than just plain ugly and it looks to be in a different league for riding dynamics.

98tls
29th December 2009, 19:01
What about the Moto Morini H?any interest?.

Hitcher
29th December 2009, 19:19
What about the Moto Morini H?any interest?.

No. It's bad enough getting the "factory warranty" for a current minority brand honoured without wanting to take the risk of after-sales support for a marque (other than Buell) that's gone tits up.

And no, it wasn't a Mouldystrada that got me slightly aroused earlier this afternoon. It was European though.

98tls
29th December 2009, 19:22
No. It's bad enough getting the "factory warranty" for a current minority brand honoured without wanting to take the risk of after-sales support for a marque (other than Buell) that's gone tits up.

And no, it wasn't a Mouldystrada that got me slightly aroused earlier this afternoon. It was European though. Bugger,didnt know they had gone belly up,thought id got it.Cmon then,clue;)

BMWST?
29th December 2009, 19:23

And no, it wasn't a Mouldystrada that got me slightly aroused earlier this afternoon. It was European though.

guzzi ?

Hitcher
29th December 2009, 19:27
guzzi ?

Apart from the Griso 8V, which is a bit short on legroom for my tastes, and the Bellagio that unfortunately has spoked wheels, there's nothing in the Guzzi range that tempts me.

Crasherfromwayback
29th December 2009, 20:23
Apart from the Griso 8V, which is a bit short on legroom for my tastes, and the Bellagio that unfortunately has spoked wheels, there's nothing in the Guzzi range that tempts me.

Don't buy a KTM.

Gremlin
30th December 2009, 01:02
Don't buy a KTM.
I was going to say... I bet its a KTM...

And whats wrong with them? I reckon any other bike in my hands for the last year would either be broken or written off... Sure... it does now need a weld, and some of the bolts have fucked off for a better life... :oi-grr: but they are replaceable and it is a big V-Twin.

Go awn hitch... its a KTM init? Which one?

Crasherfromwayback
30th December 2009, 07:50
I was going to say... I bet its a KTM...

And whats wrong with them? I reckon any other bike in my hands for the last year would either be broken or written off... Sure... it does now need a weld, and some of the bolts have fucked off for a better life... :oi-grr: but they are replaceable and it is a big V-Twin.

Go awn hitch... its a KTM init? Which one?

Nothing wrong with them...they're great bikes.

Resale/trade in value is their downside right now.

Sensei
30th December 2009, 08:29
This is my next toy I feel

James Deuce
30th December 2009, 08:31
You should put the instrument binnacle warranty claim in now.

Crasherfromwayback
30th December 2009, 08:32

I can understand that!

White trash
30th December 2009, 09:47
OMFG!! :drool:

I hate being broke :weep:

slowpoke
30th December 2009, 10:06

Bastard!!!!!!!

Crasherfromwayback
30th December 2009, 10:18
OMFG!! :drool:

Is that supposed to be cum dribbling out of ya mouth?

BMWST?
30th December 2009, 10:33

oooh errr....that oil filter looks like it wouldnt even survive a decent blast down a gravel road tho...

Pickle
30th December 2009, 10:57
The new KTM 990SMT is supposed to be good, that would suit Hitcher, all sorts of touring bits are available for this model, good suspension & brakes & KTM have supposed to have the fuel injection sorted now as well. If it goes anywhere as well as my 950 it would be great.

James Deuce
30th December 2009, 12:46
$24,000 before you start adding extras in NZ. That's a lot of dosh.

Gremlin
30th December 2009, 15:12
$24,000 before you start adding extras in NZ. That's a lot of dosh.
Its a lot of dosh up front... but compare to the competition? When I bought my 990 SM, it was 24k. Sportsbikes weren't a lot less. The KTM has brembo brakes, WP suspension and Marchesini wheels all round, and its good quality stuff. You can't come close to fitting all that kit to something else and come out for less dollars, and it all has a factory backed warranty of 2 years.

The SMT is a slightly better deal, as it has handguards, better seat etc, which weren't standard on mine, but the same price. Spent a fair bit on mine so far, with all the extras, but there is nothing else I would rather have, and its a fantastic package with massive capabilities.

Oddly enough, I was just thinking yesterday, I wouldn't have the SM or SMT stock, neither suits me. No idea what will be the eventual replacement either.

The dorsoduro 1200 looks promising, I find 600-800cc just a bit too small... but its an Aprilia...

Hitcher
30th December 2009, 15:47
The new KTM 990SMT is supposed to be good, that would suit Hitcher

Hitcher thinks so too. What, no demo?

Hitcher
30th December 2009, 15:50
The dorsoduro 1200 looks promising

I think you'll find it, and the Shiver of the same capacity, are currently a fantastical wet dream. The frames of both bikes are definitely built with a bigger donk in mind. And such a bigger donk would only add about 5kg more to the weight. In such an eventuality, I can understand the purpose of the "R" mode.

Gremlin
30th December 2009, 16:19
Definitely an interesting option, but pretty much ruled out with your experience with Aprilias in NZ. Also, when Zapf had an Aprilia Tuono, the servicing of the bike in Auckland (only one dealer) wasn't... the best.

Back in 2008 when I got the KTM 990 SM, the Shiver 1200 was a faint option, the Dorsoduro 1200 a very promising option, but given that the dorso 750 wasn't out, and both 1200 were ages away... all ruled out.

There was a belief 2010 would see a new KTM SM, the 1198, to replace the 990, but it seems this is only going to be in my dreams, as the SM doesn't actually feature in the 2009 line up, only the SMR and SMT.

Triple X in Auckland has a 990 SMT demo right now.

Pickle
30th December 2009, 16:24
Thats a shame about the dealer / importer attitude with the Aprillia as a number of friends here in Oz have them & are getting a good run out of them, 1 RSV1000 has over 100,000kms on it & only ever had one shim replaced - who in Wellington services KTM twins?

Hitcher
30th December 2009, 16:36
Thats a shame about the dealer / importer attitude with the Aprillia as a number of friends here in Oz have them & are getting a good run out of them, 1 RSV1000 has over 100,000kms on it & only ever had one shim replaced - who in Wellington services KTM twins?

Don't get me wrong, I love my Shiver to bits. It has done everything I have asked of it. An electronic speed sensor failure (a well-documented fault with the early Shivers) and dashboard condensation (ditto) are not exactly life-threatening issues. All that's missing is a distributor who gives a shit and who isn't determined to wring all the enjoyment out of owning a motorcycle they are responsible for importing.

TSS Red Baron in Lower Hutt sells and services KTM twins.

MD
30th December 2009, 18:25
Thats a shame about the dealer / importer attitude with the Aprillia

Can we please get this straight - all the Dealers around Wellybum are good. Its the Distributor in question.

I know of people who have had, shall we say, issues with Triumph as the NZ Distributor/Importer for MV and now ApeLoves, but not with the Shops and their staff trying their best.

THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH TRIUMPH PARTS AND BACKUP! In fact I am impressed that anything I have asked for is either in the shop or here overnight. Better still Triumph have figured out that certain parts were in demand. They sussed out the problem and sorted it, well done e.g. the only issues I have had with the 675 are; three number plate holders breaking (worldwide problem as evidenced on 675net.com) and a retifier cooked. All replaced immediately under warranty. Triumph NZ tried to blame me at one point and refused to replace anymore plate hangers - the shop stuck it to them! But the icing on the cake was that the factory now send out a stronger made part. I'm testing it for them at present. I like that, see a problem, fix it. Novel attitude. Same with the rectifier being cooked by the exhaust pipe. The 2009 model has the rectifer relocated to a cooler climate

What I suspect is a problem is that Aprilia - the factory, can't get their shit together and supply parts obviously in need of replacement by loyal Purchasers and fail to respond to a flood of demand for certain parts. I can picture Aprilia factory staff as ostriches burying their heads in the sand. "What? two thousand orders for replacement clutch fluid seals, no I can't see a pattern. Ignore it and certainly don't provide replacment parts to these pricks of Owners with Bikes they can't use". Harsh maybe but I know of two Owners who waited up to nine months for clutch fluid bottle seals. Bugger me, I'd switch to another brand faster than a Hayabusa can accelerate.

Sorry Hitcher, back to your topic. So what European twin is left for you to be considering?
BMW maybe. Nah, not you. Only leaves Ducati or KTM. Now the new Multistrada looks the biz to me. but will be typical Ducati overpriced and unreliable.

What you want man is a Tiger! Go on, you know you do. Twins are so yesterday's headlines.

ps- is that 1200 Dorsodura for real or a pipe dream! That would be mindblowing over a hill top road like...

FROSTY
30th December 2009, 18:31
Hitcher just wondering if you've thrown a leg over any of the 1000cc Cagiva raptors.

James Deuce
30th December 2009, 18:33
MD, the same people shagging Aprilia's reputation in NZ do a really good job with Triumph. Can you seriously say you're completely happy that on the one hand Aprilia gets NO support and Triumph owners get coddled in soft downy loo paper?

If they can't support the brand they should ditch it before it starts to do Triumph's reputation in, which going by your post you suspect may well be the case.

James Deuce
30th December 2009, 18:34
Hitcher just wondering if you've thrown a leg over any of the 1000cc Cagiva raptors.

I think he's had enough of dodgy Italian brands, especially ones that haven't made a bike in a while because they're broke and shut.

FROSTY
30th December 2009, 18:44
I think he's had enough of dodgy Italian brands, especially ones that haven't made a bike in a while because they're broke and shut.
OMG you mean an ITALIAN company has gone broke--NO NO not possible :whistle: