PDA

View Full Version : Taranaki - Wanganui roads.

awa355
27th December 2009, 18:25
Wanganui to Hunterville, Has anyone ridden this road lately? I'm heading down that way in a few weeks, from Te Awamutu via the lost highway,( 1st time ) overnighting at Stratford, then onto either Wanganui, or failing that, Whanganui.

Will head off next day through the back route as described in Peter Mitchell's book ride 27. Then up and thru' the Gentle Annie.

Is there a decent campground with cabins at Stratford/Hawera? Most websites only list a couple of up market campgrounds.

Hitcher
27th December 2009, 18:46
I have ridden Wanganui to Hunterville via Fordell recently. The road is in great nick. There's been a bit of resealing and that's been well swept.

There's one tricky intersection to watch out for. After turning LEFT onto the Turakina Valley road, be watchful for the RIGHT turn a couple of km later for the Taurimu Road. Miss that and you'll soon be off the tar and into Deliverance country. Bikers have gone missing in there for years at a stretch and emerged with strange desires usually involving sheep and root vegetables.

awa355
27th December 2009, 18:50
I have ridden Wanganui to Hunterville via Fordell recently. The road is in great nick. There's been a bit of resealing and that's been well swept.

There's one tricky intersection to watch out for. After turning LEFT onto the Turakina Valley road, be watchful for the RIGHT turn a couple of km later for the Taurimu Road. Miss that and you'll soon be off the tar and into Deliverance country. Bikers have gone missing in there for years at a stretch and emerged with strange desires usually involving sheep and root vegetables.

The sheep will be safe, I'm a roadside goat man myself. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. :clap:

ynot slow
30th December 2009, 08:59
Hawera camp ground has cabins(2 I think),Stratford has a huge backpackers signposted,was old hospital,turn left off main road as you enter Stratford (from Hawera)by motel on right.

Also if you want a motel/backpackers (Rembrandt) on main road into Hawera(South Rd)are good value $90 for 2(motel),and walking distance to town,shell garage 100mts away etc.

Gezza
30th December 2009, 15:10
Hi AWA35.You are more than welcome to spend the night at my place if you wish.Can give you a bed,a meal and a beer if you are keen??. About a couple of hundred yards from the Hawera roundabout.Mail me if you wish.
Gary

awa355
31st December 2009, 04:59
Hi AWA35.You are more than welcome to spend the night at my place if you wish.Can give you a bed,a meal and a beer if you are keen??. About a couple of hundred yards from the Hawera roundabout.Mail me if you wish.
Gary

Gary, That's a lovely offer, I appreciate it very much. Not sure at this stage when I can get down, Will be in contact prior to coming down. I have only ridden thru Taranaki a couple of times, and would like to take a couple of days to explore the side roads and towns around theTaranaki/Wanganui area. Cheers, Arthur

Gezza
31st December 2009, 15:00
Not a problem Arthur.We are going to coromandel 15-28 Jan for a spot of camping but maybe you are planning to take you trip before this?? .Keep me posted anyway.
Gary

awa355
1st January 2010, 14:51
Not a problem Arthur.We are going to coromandel 15-28 Jan for a spot of camping but maybe you are planning to take you trip before this?? .Keep me posted anyway.
Gary

Gary, It now appears that I cant get leave before March so will do the trip then. Will make contact before then and arrange to call in and say hello.

Gezza
2nd January 2010, 14:25
Ok Arthur.Might see you sometime in march then.
Gary