PDA

View Full Version : Brand new GS1000 for $3,699

scumdog
27th December 2009, 19:38
Ok, reading through old Yank Hot Rod mags and saw some of the prices, makes you wonder why the Yanks bothered with bikes, ie:

1977 Dodge Aspen with 360 V8 - base price $3752
1979 Kwaka KZ1000St - $3,599

!980 Turbo Cobra Mustang $6,954 (top-of-the-line)
1980 Suzuki GS 1000GT $3,699

Cars ain't that foar away from the bikes price-wise eh?

breakaway
27th December 2009, 20:23
Because cars can't get you off like bikes do.

pete376403
27th December 2009, 22:35
Ok, reading through old Yank Hot Rod mags and saw some of the prices, makes you wonder why the Yanks bothered with bikes, ie:

1977 Dodge Aspen with 360 V8 - base price $3752

What did the price rise to once you put enough options into it to make a half-way decent car?
Base = drum brakes, three on the tree, two barrel carb, no air, no audio, vinyl bench seats, no seat belts, no...

Motu
27th December 2009, 22:52
Base = drum brakes, three on the tree, two barrel carb, no air, no audio, vinyl bench seats, no seat belts, no...

That was the Deluxe model for the NZ market.

jeffs
27th December 2009, 22:56
Cars ain't that far away from the bikes price-wise eh?

Unlike American cars, they pay more for things that can go around corners.

dipshit
28th December 2009, 08:12
They must of had very high import levy rates on imported vehicles.

nallac
28th December 2009, 08:21

imported bikes, thanks to a certain Milwaukee brand...amongst others

scumdog
28th December 2009, 08:30
imported bikes, thanks to a certain Milwaukee brand...amongst others

Yeah, jumped from 4% to 49.4 % for over 750cc (I think) tax until about 1981.

scumdog
28th December 2009, 08:32
What did the price rise to once you put enough options into it to make a half-way decent car?

Not like bikes at all eh...:msn-wink:

I wonder who DOES buy all the bling and bolt-on go-fast stuff for bikes then??

At the end of the day it is still a close call price-wise between bike and car.

scumdog
28th December 2009, 08:34

But they CAN carry your mate, a pair of hot sheilas, a few boxes of piss and keep you out of the rain....

FJRider
28th December 2009, 08:46
But they CAN carry your mate, a pair of hot sheilas, a few boxes of piss and keep you out of the rain....

And the Gun-rack is easier to fit to the car/pick-up ... :headbang:

marine0089
28th December 2009, 17:36
And the Gun-rack is easier to fit to the car/pick-up ... :headbang:

Dunno, this looks pretty easy http://www.cabelas.com/p-0005954520281a.shtml

Grahameeboy
28th December 2009, 17:42

Harking back to the old days are ya SD

HenryDorsetCase
28th December 2009, 18:36
Not like bikes at all eh...:msn-wink:

I wonder who DOES buy all the bling and bolt-on go-fast stuff for bikes then??

At the end of the day it is still a close call price-wise between bike and car.

It still is. To replace our car with the current equivalent model is around $36k. that gets you a brand new Impreza wagon, 2 l auto, with their full time AWD system, five seats, airbags for Africa, air conditioning and a three year 100000km warranty.

$36 gets you a mid-model brand new HD big block, or a tricked out FX, or a base mode Ducati 1098, or 1.4 CBR1000RR's. (I think they're around $22k), or a Triumph T Bird and some bling (a fair bit of bling) or a rocket III or other stuff I cant do maths for because I am too full of Xmas leftovers.

Buying a bike, any bike, is because you want a bike, and you're prepared to live with the high cost, and the other disadvantages.

I too have been reading old bike mags and the one that caught my eye was a VFR1000R for $6k in 1992. Theres one on tard me that the guy cant get $5k for so that says something (probably something about VFR1000Rs)

R6_kid
29th December 2009, 13:44

No, but having a 1980 Turbo Cobra Mustang would pull way more chicks than a GS1000GT, and then the chicks can get you off way better than bikes do. But you wouldn't know about that would you?

Grubber
29th December 2009, 13:50

They did...and still do. Think they subsidize local made too. Probably not a good option seeing what the big car builders are up to over there at the moment.

scumdog
29th December 2009, 13:53
They did...and still do. Think they subsidize local made too. Probably not a good option seeing what the big car builders are up to over there at the moment.

The pro-Harley levy dropped off in the mid 80's or thereabouts, somebody else out there may be able to be more precise.

Ford is doing OK - their boss had put plans into place for these fiscal eventualities, GM and and Chrysler did not, hence they needed to be bailed out by the Gov't.

Grubber
29th December 2009, 13:57
The pro-Harley levy dropped off in the mid 80's or thereabouts, somebody else out there may be bale to be more precise.

Ford is doing OK - their boss had put plans into place for these fiscal eventualities, GM and and Chrysler did not, hence they needed to be bailed out by the Gov't.

Early 80's huh. Ok so that's been gone for a while then! Bet they would like it back right about now though. Heard that Ford were doing the job ok. Maybe if they changed to a more environmentally sound vehicle that was a bit more equipped for the times they would have still been ok ya think?

Pixie
30th December 2009, 18:01
I paid $4800 for a GS 1000E in '81-'82 from Coleman's

danchop
30th December 2009, 21:13
things do go up and down strangely,i remember paying $150 an hour for my first hooker back in the late eighties and now i can get the same hour for $60 with so much more variety

HenryDorsetCase
30th December 2009, 21:33
things do go up and down strangely,i remember paying $150 an hour for my first hooker back in the late eighties and now i can get the same hour for $60 with so much more variety

Yeah, but its the same chick, right?

AllanB
30th December 2009, 22:28
Yeah, but its the same chick, right?

He'll be easy to spot going into the knocking shop - he'll be the guy with the plank tied across his arse........

AllanB
30th December 2009, 22:32
The pro-Harley levy dropped off in the mid 80's or thereabouts, somebody else out there may be able to be more precise.

The Japanese got around it very quickly by setting up factories in the US - thus they were 'US made'.

I purchased a new Kawasaki in 1983 that was a ex USA (1982) model. There was a bit of that with Kawasaki back then with overstocked US build bike - ship them to NZ and 'special' them.

Not unlike Suzuki does now with some models.