PDA

View Full Version : Blood & Organ Donation

Slim
5th November 2003, 13:27
As motorcyclists, we participate in a high-risk pastime (or sport) and many of us have been, or will be, involved in accidents.

I got into donating blood whilst still at high school, although this lapsed when I left to go to work. Then RustyLee talked me into attending a BRONZ Blood Run in Auckland and I did many of them over the next few years.

I now donate platelets, which I can do every month, instead of every 3-6 months.

I also ticked the Organ Donator box when I got my drivers licence, and have made my family aware of my wishes and included this in my will, as family can veto the decision you've made on your drivers licence.

Do any of you lot donate? And how do you feel about organ donation?

Antallica
5th November 2003, 13:50
Well when I die I'm not going to use them anymore, might as well give someone else a 2nd chance of life.

*ticked donor box*

jrandom
5th November 2003, 13:54
Originally posted by Slim
how do you feel about organ donation?

The concept itself doesn't bother me, and certainly I'd like to help someone else out with any bits I've got no use for any more!

However I've always been a bit worried about the situation where my condition is marginal (carry on revival attempts? pull the plug?) and someone's in OT down the hall waiting for a nice fresh liver or wotnot... do I really want that consideration pressing on the minds of the people looking after me?

Now, this could just be silly paranoia of course. Maybe I've watched too many ER episodes. Anyone care to contribute some real-world knowledge or experience?

Firefight
5th November 2003, 14:03
Do any of you lot donate? And how do you feel about organ donation?

1) Yes.

2) I fully support the idea of donating organs, both my wife and I have our driver licenses ammended to indicate that, also our teenage daughters agree with the concept of donating organs.

It is a good idea to discuss this with your family, as Slim suggests,
having it noted on your drivers license does not automatically give the hospital the right to start chopping bits out and putting them in a jar for later use !

It will be interesting to see if this devlopes into a debate, as there are many cultural/religious feelings against the concept of blood/organ donating, I guess you have to feel comfortable in your self with the concept.

I have no problem with this !

firefight.

MadDuck
5th November 2003, 14:34
hhmmmm....I used to give blood every 6 months. Then some half arsed bereaucrat decided that anyone who spent time in the UK in the late 1980s or early 1990s could not donate anymore

Something to do with "Mad Cow Disease" (lmao a Madduck with Madcow disease).....wish I could get rid of this nervous twitch :gob:

Have Organ donor on licence at least. They can have anything salvagable...liver might be a bit shot and lungs proly not much good either

Lou Girardin
5th November 2003, 14:57
Having organ donor on your licence isn't sufficient, they need family consent too.
I often offer to donate an organ to my wife, she must be a different blood type, says no.
Lou

Coldkiwi
5th November 2003, 15:00
Yup, I'd love to be able to help someone else save their life if I've been unfortunate enough to loose mine.

I like donating blood. What can I say, I'm a sucker for free Afghans, Tim Tams and coffee! So long as I go to the Architecture school set up when it comes to Auck Uni, I get a wicked feed. My friends and I used to have races to get to the magical 440ml mark!! I felt sorry for the poor sods who didn't realise the wooden grabber actually helped speed the process up... some of them only processed 100mls in the time it took me to get laid down, punctured, drained and the compulsory 10 minute lie down!

Actually Slim, when you're giving some more blood make sure they take it out of your left arm so you can work that clutch hand as you pump the blood out! :)

For some reason though, the last few times I've had the donation reminder in the post I'm always fighting off a cold so I can't go. But I certainly support it. I may well need a heap of blood if I'm to survive a nasty motorcycle accident and I would feel much better about using someone elses if I know I've already done someone the same favor.

Jackrat
5th November 2003, 16:34
Yep Iv,e been donating blood for yonks,When I kick the bucket they can take anything they want but somehow I don,t think most of my bits are gonn,a be worth much,:o :D

riffer
5th November 2003, 19:29
1. I used to give blood between ages 18 and 30 (I'm 36) but I had a major lymphatic infection which took out my pancreas six years ago and since I'm now insulin-dependent diabetic because of this they won't take my blood anymore. Apparently too much insulin in your blood is not good for other people!

2. Yes, organ donor on my licence. If anything is left of me that can be used, then I'd like to think I can help someone else...

Big Dog
5th November 2003, 19:42
I used to donate but they won't let me any more because of my medication.

And I want my organ donation wishes included in a tattoo on my chest so no-one, repeat no-one can deny my wishes!

Andrew
5th November 2003, 20:02
1)I can't donate blood because i'm a pom, and i'm suppose to have mad cow disease.

2)I'm a donor on my license, shouldn't this not be allowed if I can't give blood?

Kickaha
5th November 2003, 20:04
Originally posted by Coldkiwi

I like donating blood. What can I say, I'm a sucker for free Afghans, Tim Tams and coffee!  

Me to,been doing it for around 25 years off and on,normally every three months,as for organ donation once I'm dead they can hack whatever bits they want out of me.

Whole blood is all they will let me donate and they earmark it all for babypacks for ICU.

wkid_one
5th November 2003, 20:05
Donate blood every 12 weeks. Not a donor tho/

curious george
5th November 2003, 20:29
I work on the liver transplant team at Auckland hospital, so I can honestly say your donations are hugely appreciated by the reciepients.
(Not necessarly me if I means getting up at 0200 hrs to do the swap though!)

We do Liver, kidneys (x2) and sometimes Greenlane want the heart, lungs and sometimes cornea.
Not always all of it, and sometimes prople only want to donate certain bits.
Ther are strict criteria about the circumstances to make you elligible for donation, it's a fairly involved and controlled process, not a hit squad who trawl for the unluckies!!!

Hey, JR, if you are injured dying, and there may be a 1:10000000 chance you make it, we will throw the kitchen sink at you to stop that. Who ever you are. Prime minister, drunk driver, your mother or even kiwi biker!:2thumbsup

When we sit down at look at what we've used on major trauma, it's amazing.
My record is 67 units of blood products. In 2 hrs. + we recycle the old blood.

I really feel for the family who after the bad news have to decide if they want their loved one to donate.
Some don't, despite donors wishes, and that's fine.
Whatever the choice, it's not something I would wish on my worst enemy.

/on a lighter note, :) keep riding!:rockon:

Sorry if the above was a bit mutch, lond day today:o

MadDuck
5th November 2003, 20:34
Yeah Lou

I know licence is not enough. BUT if anyone does have concerns on this issue there is a thing called an "Enduring Power of Attorney"

I have one. It means I have chosen a very very close member of my family to have the final say on what happens to me should the worst case scenario happen. That person has the power to agree to the doctors wish to pull the plug and honour my wishes.

And the doctors dont make that decision lightly ...I know from experience!

Yeah ok it is money for jam for the lawyers but I have peace of mind ... sorry but I digress - but Mad Cows do that :p

Damn I hope one of you has my blood type since i am banned from donating now. Meant I could go get that tatto I always wanted though :2thumbsup

SPman
6th November 2003, 06:43
Organ donor and used to donate blood. Now I'm a bit slack and have a Psychlogical hangup about it (I think) - had a bad reaction to one session!

I dont think the medical services are as bad as that Monty Python sketch about organ donors in "The meaning of Life" - where they came to get the guys liver when he was doing the dishes or something......:D

bluninja
6th November 2003, 08:57
I'm not however an organ donor by choice, I thought cannibalism was illegal anyway. If we are really prepared to extend human lives by using cast off meat, then what's the problem with cross species donation? or GE modified animals that produce 'human' organs? There would be a predictable, available supply, without waiting for people to die.

I have no problem with donating from myself those things that can be replaced, or that I can survive without...though it seems that being a mad cow pom I can't donate blood in NZ.

BTW are you really dead when your body parts are alive and working in other bodies? Do you cease to exist when your bio computer shuts down permanently? If people have souls, at what point does the soul become freed from it's mortal existance? Maybe it's a shot at physical immortality of sorts.

I guess to have a debate you need an opposing view...

TTFN

Sharkey
6th November 2003, 09:16
I gave blood once. I don't like needles, so it took along time to get the guts, and then half way through the room started spinning, and I began giggling like a 13 year old, and then the nurse pulled the needle out. That was 7 years ago, and I've been too scared to go back. I had accupuncture once, and that almost made me faint. I still feel nausous thinking about it. What a blouse.

I am a parts donor though. So are my folks and sister, so hopefully our wishes should be followed through.

I am a Christian and have no religious problem with the idea giving bits of me away once I'm dead. In terms of bluninja's comments, I believe the spirit is freed from the physical body when God wants it to be so, and if He wants it freed then you're physically dead, and if He doesn't then you're not, and there is nothing much anyone can do about it.

That should put the cat amongst the pigeons.

bluninja
6th November 2003, 09:43
Thanks Sharkey....interesting that within some groups calling themselves christians there are those that won't accept blood donations (Jehovahs Witnesses) because of their take on a certain scripture that says it's wrong to drink blood; and the reason that christians historically were buried was because of scripture that said (aproximately) that on judgement day all the dead would rise. Please don't take this as an attack, it's merely an observation to show how religous beliefs can be different within the (nominally) same group.

If one were truly to believe that our death is pre-ordained and there is nothing we can do to alter that time; then medicine, science, blood and organ donation would seem an irrelevence. The time our spirit/soul spends in the physical world is but a moment compared to eternity...what's an extra few days/months/years of physical life against eternity.

I respect anyone's choice to donate (or not). As part of my choice not to donate organs the flipside is that I also choose not to be a recipient. I hope never to be in the position of requiring someone else's body parts (as would most people), but at least I won't be filling space on an ever lengthening queue.

TTFN

Sharkey
6th November 2003, 10:00
I certainly do not take your comments as an attack. You are dead right that there is lots of interpretation about certain aspects of the bible. BTW, most Christians would say that Jehovahs Witnesses are NOT Christian.

Don't take my comemnts about preordainment as meaning we should be fatalistic and take things lying down. God gave us brains to develop safe and hygenic surgical practices, and the ability to perform transplants. Therefore I don't have a problem using such facilities should the need arise.

bluninja
6th November 2003, 10:39
Sharkey, those same brains also produce cloning, nuclear weapons, biological weapons, and GE. Just because things are scientifically possible does not mean that we should accept and use the resulting technology.

I guess I have some hangups with preordination and fatalism. Both to me mean that I do not have a true choice. If my life, choices, and actions are preordained then however I act is according to a script no matter what my perceptions of my reality might be. Poor old Judas Escariot; he got pretty hammered on his pre-ordination.

As a christian you may say that JWs aren't christian, but that is they way they are described in many 'factual' texts available in the public library....their origins being based on a medieval christian movement.

I wonder, if transplants weren't possible...or illegal, would there be more drive and resources put towards finding cures than there is presently. Whilst many people are accepting of organ transplant, at what point are transplants unacceptable? If a brain transplant were possible, would it be ok to donate a whole body?

TTFN

Marmoot
6th November 2003, 11:07
I wish I have the gut....I hate needles. And, to top it off, I have low blood pressure. I really wish I can donate and face the needle tho'....

And, in respect to give a check mark on donating in license, I'm just afraid the LTSA will mark you up and will lurk around the corner when they need organs, then ram you when you pass by. Of course, as I have said previously....I'm just a paranoid.

And, on the light of religion, here's a Catholic point of view: God knows all do not mean he pre-ordains everything. Hence the word "free-will". Since, the concept of love cannot be forced, and you cannot love someone unless you have the choice to hate as well, then humans are given free-will to choose his own future. It's a whole complex concept (and mumbo-jumbo to some), hence we call it the mystery of faith. In short sentence: human brain is not large enough to understand, the same as a dog will not be able to understand a trigonometric equation no matter how long it tries to learn.
But anyway, I hope that gives some idea on why there is evil and there are humans that choose to do bad (inventing GE, etc) instead of good. It's because it is not preordained. God knows the future, but he will not allow himself to prevent the bad from happening, otherwise the whole concept of freewill would be negated, and so is the concept of love.

Oh, yeah. Jehova's Witness is not a taken as Christian. In fact, they do not believe Christ is God.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a little bit, slim.

P.S.
I have a feeling I will get some flame.....

Sharkey
6th November 2003, 13:39
You know, it really is interesting that someone's family has the ability to override a clearly stated intention. If you have ticked the donor box then what right do other people have to override that. In all other respects a dirvers licence is a leagal document.

Slim
6th November 2003, 14:34
Sharkey - it's not really, when you consider that it's a spur-of-the-moment tick of a box, without any real psychological or official check that you're in the right state of mind to be making that kind of decision. Especially if you made that decision when you were 15, as I did.

I'm not going to partake in the religious debate, because it all seems illogical to me, but I'm surprised that we haven't had any input from the Maori point of view yet.

Gixxer
6th November 2003, 16:47
any input from the Maori point of view yet.

Sorry slim I have been busy. interesting thread but.

1st thing 1st, I thought Christians believe that Jesus Christ was the son of god not God?

I used to give blood when I was at high school I just got too lazy.

As for donating my organs, yeah all for it, just have not got around to doing anything about it yet, the missus knows I want to donate and I know she will respect my wishes.

had this debate with my family who disagreed with me.told them that if something I have can help some young maori child who is suffering, then they are welcome to it.. might get put in some kid that becomes an all  black, that would be cool.

wari
6th November 2003, 16:51
This must be a sign ... I went for a walk and saw the blood donor bus down the road ... and now this thread ... sooo you get coffee and a bikie eh ?

Slim
6th November 2003, 17:06
Originally posted by wari
This must be a sign ... I went for a walk and saw the blood donor bus down the road ... and now this thread ... sooo you get coffee and a bikie eh ?
Did I not tell you that I was psychic too??? :D

You can have a cuppa tea, a coffee or orange juice and as many bikkies as you can get down yer gob. :p

duckman
7th November 2003, 09:54
Just out of interest - Can anybody tell me how long blood will last. does it need to be stored under certain conditions i.e. cold, vaccuum. ??

Can you give blood and get it stored for your own use ??

Please don't flame me for being selfish (as I do give blood), but as a rider, and therefore high risk individual, I was wondering about putting some red aside for my own use.

Sharkey
7th November 2003, 10:14
Sharkey - it's not really, when you consider that it's a spur-of-the-moment tick of a box, without any real psychological or official check that you're in the right state of mind to be making that kind of decision. Especially if you made that decision when you were 15, as I did.

Fair point. But it does seem to me that many of us here feel pretty strongly about the issue. And in terms of the psychological issue, are family members who are likely to be slightly incoherent with grief in a better psychological state to make these sorts of decisions?

And Gixxer, Jesus made it pretty clear to the Jews that he was God in the flesh. Believing that fact is basically the crux of Christianity. The trinity is very confusing, and I find the whole concept numbs my brain.

Coldkiwi
7th November 2003, 11:33
perhaps the only solid answer on organ donation is to talk about it openly with your family and let them know your wishes... or give someone power of attorney.

I agree with sharkey. Jesus was God's Son but was also God incarnate on earth, and yeah, its a mind bender... leaves the intricacies of the plot in matrix for dead!

wari
7th November 2003, 12:18
This must be a sign ... I went for a walk and saw the blood donor bus down the road ... and now this thread ...

Update on the sign ... bus has moved ... a new sign is born and unto us , no bikkies were given.

Sharkey
7th November 2003, 12:35
a new sign is born and unto us , no bikkies were given.

Haha LOL. Very clever.

Speaking of the Matrix, CK, has anyone seen Revolutions?:Offtopic:

Marmoot
7th November 2003, 14:29
heh, the concept of attorney's power is more brain numbing.....and it tends to leave you pennyless :p
I'm thinking of not making any will. Let the vultures sort it out themselves:2thumbsup

bluninja
7th November 2003, 15:18
Originally posted by Sharkey
Speaking of the Matrix, CK, has anyone seen Revolutions?:Offtopic:

Yes....probably the weakest of the trilogy IMHO, but still good.

TTFN

Motoracer
7th November 2003, 15:22
Originally posted by bluninja
Yes....probably the weakest of the trilogy IMHO, but still good.

TTFN

Really?? and its suppose to be the most expensive movie ever isn't it. Or so I have heard.

wari
7th November 2003, 15:29
BUT ... do they donate blood ??

Otherwise

Slim
7th November 2003, 17:28
Originally posted by duckman
Just out of interest - Can anybody tell me how long blood will last. does it need to be stored under certain conditions i.e. cold, vaccuum. ??

Can you give blood and get it stored for your own use ??
I know that you can get blood taken before major planned surgery, just in case.

Check out http://www.nzblood.co.nz for the answer to your other questions, and many more. :) But from me

Big Dog
7th November 2003, 19:47
Anyone know if a tattoo stating donation intentions and medical stat's would be legal and binding. Can't tell my family. The only family I got is morally opposed to my decision.:o

Mum thinks I ought to be buried whole, preferably without a autopsy she's opposed to that too. She used to be a nurse but still doesn't know any better.

My partner knows my wishes but my mum can be a bit of a bully.

bluninja
7th November 2003, 19:57
BigDog, don't think the tattoo thing would work. If you really want it sorted then you need a legal doco......they've got no record of your state of mind at the time you had the tattoo done, or whether you've changed your mind since.

TTFN

Redstar
7th November 2003, 20:21
like many I have potentially Mad cow desease ?
actually I have doner on my licence and as for my wife well her attitude is I'll have your pension and insurance and they can have all your bits! like some have hardly been used like your brain and stuff I reckon the old boy is the most under utilised but that another story.
but as for liver and kindeys well I dont think they would exactly be bargain material and as for hair well I have heaps just not in the wanted places:gob:
so I dont care what they do with me when I dead my ashes will be in an ern that will be used for a receptical for otherthings as they see fit.
If reincarnation is a happening thing I will come back as a traffic cop anyway or a fly same diff whatever.
if anyone wants any of my parts now make an offer I have two of most things in working order. funny how you only get one tounge nose and penis? why is that?

Slim
7th November 2003, 20:43
I've just fired off an e-mail to my mother, sister & brother telling them my wishes, and left a message for my father to call me too.

Shall be interesting to see the response. :shit:

Big Dog
7th November 2003, 20:46
Originally posted by Redstar
funny how you only get one tounge nose and penis? why is that?
What your mother never gave you the line about "you have two ears for listening and one mouth for talking so you can listen twice as much as you talk"?

As to penises ... I only have one and that has got me in enough trouble!:2thumbsup

wari
8th November 2003, 07:42
I wonder if you ucan get your tattoos grafted off and made into a lampshade when you die?? ... something to leave the kids eh?... an heirloom of sorts.

I think I'll put it in my will .

:cool:

Jackrat
8th November 2003, 09:03
Yeah I read a story about a guy that did that,his family skined him after death an had em, framed.Hitler was supposed to be pretty good at it too,I don,t think his subjects had much say in it but. :(

Big Dog
9th November 2003, 17:05
I have seen framed tattoos in FHM Magazine and Ed Gein used to make lampshades table cloths etc out of his victims so while it may be a little morbid it is possible.

georgedubyabush
9th November 2003, 19:44
Anyone see the program on plasticisation (or whatever) on Discovery channel?

When you die all skin and connective tissue is removed, and water is withdrawn and replaced with polymer (?). You basically become a big plastic anatomical sculpture for Medical schools etc.

Big in Germany apparantly

Sharkey
10th November 2003, 06:28
Ahh those Germans.

I know my folks want to give themselves to the med school, but their wishes amy not be granted. Like most things in the public service there is a waiting list to give yourself to medical science. Too many people wanting the governments services. Does seem somehow backwards though.

Gixxer
10th November 2003, 09:41
Originally posted by Sharkey
And Gixxer, Jesus made it pretty clear to the Jews that he was God in the flesh. Believing that fact is basically the crux of Christianity. The trinity is very confusing, and I find the whole concept numbs my brain.

Ah ha, never knew that, hear all this stuff about jesus christ son of god? so what is the deal with the JW, I looked on the net but could not find anything about what they believe. and are they the ones with the 'only the first 10,000 peps go to heaven' seems to me that it is a waste of time following that religon as you aint going to heaven.

confirmed with the missus on my wishes to donate.

Sharkey
10th November 2003, 11:50
Originally posted by Gixxer
so what is the deal with the JW

The biggie is that they deny that Jesus is God. They base this on a passage in the bible emphasising Jesus humanity, while ignoring the many scriptures claiming his God-ness. It is difficult to comprehend, but the Bible makes it quite clear that Jesus was all man and all God. Tricky mental gymnastics for us mortals.

Also, you're right. JW's believe in the doctrine of 144,000 in heaven. This comes from a passage talking about 12000 people from each of the 12 tribes of Israel - 12 x 12000 = 144000. I understand that when membership of their organisation exceeded this number thay faced a quandry which they solved by saying that 144 000 people would go to heaven, but the rest would exist on a perfect, re-created earth. There are some rather hilarious illustrations of this place in some of their literature.

I found some convuluted and difficult to understand information rebutting JW doctrine at http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/jwbeliefs.htm

duckman
10th November 2003, 12:30
waa waa waa waa waa *screeching of brakes* *doors slamming*

Open up!! it's the :Offtopic: Police.

Goddess of Goof
19th November 2003, 00:21
hey most posts seem to be in favour of it all.

I'm totally spooked by the subject and honestly admit, I hate the thought. Gave blood once, as I have a blood-type they always seem to need. It was an awful feeling - I felt something more was taken than simply my blood. Organs ? Nah, can't bear to think about it - I mean, its totally against Nature isn't it?

I read about a woman who had a transplant of something from a young guy, she was a health nut and mostly vegetarian. And after a few months, she felt this huge longing for a meat pie and a coca cola. She just HAD to go and eat some, and did, and hated it, but still did. There was that guy in Australia, who had someone's hand transplanted, and eventually asked for it to be removed, he felt so wrong.

And that article in the New Zealand Herald  last week about the face transplants freaked me out. I was horrified. I mean, what if the transplanted persons face felt like foreign tissue to you, and you hated it, and could feel the spiritual presence of the other person in your facial skin? Worse, it would be irreversible........ and you would have someone else's diploid chromosomes and dna living off you forever.

spooky.              wrong.                   "shudder"                              :beer:

Goddess of Goof
19th November 2003, 00:34
:D

....... and my avatar proudly proclaims "Toughness is a quality of the Mind"

well, obviously I'm not tough enough on this subject....:argh:

:D

Gixxer
21st November 2003, 11:14
I saw that thing on face transplants, pretty freaky, what is the world coming too.

stiill, i could end up with some real good looking guys face, could be a bonus.

aff-man
21st November 2003, 11:29
Or a bad looking womans :Oops: :gob: :eek:

riffer
21st November 2003, 12:35
The big trouble is, they could stick a beautiful face over my ugly old bone structure.

Probably still look the same. :argh:

Slim
27th July 2004, 13:30
I'm off to give Platelets again. Thought I'd bump this up to the top for further comment.

:doctor:

Mongoose
27th July 2004, 14:49
Is it not one of thiose moral things, we do have morals, dont we??, that as a biker you are in one of the catagories most likely to need a blood transfusion there fore we should all give blood.Thats my logic in being a regular blood donor anyways :scooter:

vifferman
27th July 2004, 15:08
Is it not one of thiose moral things, we do have morals, dont we??, that as a biker you are in one of the catagories most likely to need a blood transfusion there fore we should all give blood.Thats my logic in being a regular blood donor anyways :scooter:Good logic, that, Mongoose, and it's what first made me decide to be a donor, after being scraped off the road for the first time, back on Christmas Day 1975. (Word of caution: never choose Christmas day as a day to smash yourself up - the hospital staff seem to take it as a personal affront.)

It did take a few years before I actually got around to donating blood, but I've been a semi-regular supplier and donated many gallons since the firstest time (which I still remember. Not fondly. Even though it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined. And not too bad given the nursey was practising on me. Even though she stuck the needle right through the vein and out the other side, my arm didn't develop TOO bad a haematoma. And I found the pain bearable....)

Must be about time I actually got some blood back, given that I've banked heaps and never collected even the interest on it...:shifty:

Firefight
27th July 2004, 15:21
:first: Good on you Slim, for refreshing this post, my views already recorded eariler in the thread, however I had a nice father daughter moment two weeks ago, my youngest daughter (also a KBer) and I gave together, it was her first donation.she had been nagging me for two years to do it, her choice.

Firefight. :) :)

Devil
27th July 2004, 16:29
I dont like needles at all (Tattoo ones are ok though :P) so I dont give blood. But people can take what they want on the event of my death.

KATWYN
27th July 2004, 16:41
some groups calling themselves christians there are those that won't accept blood donations (Jehovahs Witnesses) because of their take on a certain scripture that says it's wrong to drink blood; ;

Yawn, I don't want to get into religeous discussion but will add my 2 c worth
on the blood & organ issue. (*whispers so Zed can't hear* )

I am a Jehovahs Witness so won't have blood if I have an accident - so i'm
probably screwed as far as that goes (joke).

Witnesses will do ANYTHING possible using whatever medical technology
is available to stay alive. A saline expander works great so i'm aware, but
it is the surgeons experience at non blood surgery that has the biggest effect if you are lucky to get one that does it :first:

I have organ donation on my licence though. Cos I can donate organs that
don't require blood in surgery - I think??

Ms Piggy
27th July 2004, 17:41
Is it not one of thiose moral things, we do have morals, dont we??, that as a biker you are in one of the catagories most likely to need a blood transfusion there fore we should all give blood.Thats my logic in being a regular blood donor anyways :scooter:

Yeah I agree with ya Mongoose. I'm a blood donor when I can be and an organ domor as well. Heck I aint gonna need them when I'm gone! :)

Coldkiwi
27th July 2004, 17:54
Yawn, I don't want to get into religeous discussion but will add my 2 c worth
on the blood & organ issue. (*whispers so Zed can't hear* )

I am a Jehovahs Witness so won't have blood if I have an accident - so i'm
probably screwed as far as that goes (joke).

Witnesses will do ANYTHING possible using whatever medical technology
is available to stay alive. A saline expander works great so i'm aware, but
it is the surgeons experience at non blood surgery that has the biggest effect if you are lucky to get one that does it :first:

I have organ donation on my licence though. Cos I can donate organs that

Hey Katwyn. I'm a little confused as to how you manage your beliefs in event of an accident that might render you unconcious and unable to tell the doctor what you want. Is there some process the emergency crew have to go through to find out if doing an emergency blood transfusion is ok with you without actually asking you or will they just go ahead and do it? I would think there would be a very small percentage of occurances where this might be an issue but if you were unconcious, how would they know?
.. but if its ok to have a blood transfusion to save your life if you didn't know it was happening.... errr... well, i think we'll need to move it to the religious banter thread!

KATWYN
27th July 2004, 21:04
Hey Katwyn. I'm a little confused as to how you manage your beliefs in event of an accident that might render you unconcious and unable to tell the doctor what you want. .. but if its ok to have a blood transfusion to save your life if you didn't know it was happening.... errr... well, i think we'll need to move it to the religious banter thread!

You carry a card around with your drivers licence that says "NO BLOOD"
with your signature on, its recognised as a legal document. I have to admit
it is scary, but then again blood isn't the perfect life saver either (ie) a
person can take a lot longer to recover after a transfusion than not, also if
blood is put into your body at the wrong temperature you can go into shock
as well as are exposed to infections (no I'M NOT talking hiv, just standard
infections that can cause complications afterwards)

But in the event of the other things you mentioned ...who knows half the
time I haven't got my card with me.......so no doubt I will go to hell for that.
( :laugh: i'm only joking) seeing as we witnesses are hard out nutcase
extremists.

Most of us on the odd occassion can be quite normal you know, we even
ride motorcycles on a Saturday morning, we don't always stick our foot in your front door :) .

maybe
27th July 2004, 21:31
I do not donate blood but my organs are up for the taking its on my licence and the family are aware.

jrandom
27th July 2004, 22:23
I am a Jehovahs Witness so won't have blood if I have an accident

Me too. Didn't realise you were as well, Katwyn. We'll have to catch up sometime.

Now you all have a nice convenient label to slap on me the next time I contribute to the Religious Ravings thread...

Cos I can donate organs that

Well, it does come down to whatever you think and feel in the end, doesn't it... anyway, the 'blood' principle can't really affect organ donation, can it. Since organs aren't blood.

Is anyone interested in an explanation of why Jehovah's Witnesses don't accept blood transfusions? I could probably rouse myself to make a few posts on the topic.

Also, this prompted me to have a poke back through the Religious Ravings thread, and I note that Zed has made some rather incorrect assertions about JW doctrine and beliefs which I didn't notice at the time.

I guess I'd better head back over and start it all up again with a bit of refutation. This has now got personal, y'all...

MadDuck
27th July 2004, 22:45
Crikey does it really matter about our religious ....or non religious beliefs?

If I fell off the scoot (god forbid) then I for one would hope that what is left goes to help someone else to live a good and healthy life. If they can scrape up what is left that is.

I think I have mentioned before I have a "living will" which means in the worst case scenario a relative that knows my wishes decides.

---> religous ravings that way please :confused2

**waits for fallout**

jrandom
27th July 2004, 22:48

Not on a biking forum it doesn't :p

Except in the Religious Ravings thread...

If I fell off the scoot (god forbid) then I for one would hope that what is left goes to help someone else to live a good and healthy life. If they can scrape up what is left that is.

I think most of us would agree with that.

**waits for fallout**

Er... rant! Rave! Blither blither blither!

:kick:

MadDuck
27th July 2004, 22:56
Blither?

WTF...lmao

KATWYN
28th July 2004, 08:51
Me too. Didn't realise you were as well, Katwyn. We'll have to catch up sometime.

Now you all have a nice convenient label to slap on me the next time I contribute to the Religious Ravings thread...

That makes two of us huh? I came out of the closet breifly in the religeous
thread but stayed out of it after that cos I didn't wanna hijack Zeds
thread- tempting though it was.

jrandom
28th July 2004, 09:27
That makes two of us huh? I came out of the closet breifly in the religeous
thread but stayed out of it after that cos I didn't wanna hijack Zeds
thread. Hubby and I have been inactive for a while.

I don't consider myself to be in any closets! Although, goodness knows, one is more likely to receive opprobrium today for holding religious beliefs than for being homosexual. Sad, innit.

I wouldn't normally use an online biking forum to talk religion. I think it's a bit impolite. But since we have the SpankMe-sanctioned Religious Ravings thread, it's all on... and anyway, I don't think that reasoned discussion on relevant topics constitutes a hijack of Zed's thread.

Don't think I'll have time to contribute today at work, though. I might get a chance late tonight.

Slim
28th July 2004, 09:48
:first: Good on you Slim, for refreshing this post, my views already recorded eariler in the thread, however I had a nice father daughter moment two weeks ago, my youngest daughter (also a KBer) and I gave together, it was her first donation.she had been nagging me for two years to do it, her choice.
That's fantastic. :) Nice to see your daughter is persistent. ;) Does the Fire Service promote blood donation at all? Just curious.

I survived the anti-coagulants, and only had 7 cycles on the machine (down from the 9 I had to do for my first one!) and normal service has resumed this morning. And got offered cheese on crackers for a nice change. :) Looking forward to them offering a glass of red wine with them at some future stage! ;) :apint:

Firefight
28th July 2004, 09:57
That's fantastic. :) Nice to see your daughter is persistent. ;) Does the Fire Service promote blood donation at all? Just curious.

I survived the anti-coagulants, and only had 7 cycles on the machine (down from the 9 I had to do for my first one!) and normal service has resumed this morning. And got offered cheese on crackers for a nice change. :) Looking forward to them offering a glass of red wine with them at some future stage! ;) :apint:.

Yes all fire services promote blood donation, however it is still the individual choice, and normally you are not allowed to donate while on an operational duty(for obvoius reasons) We got fresh muffins as well as the normal bickys
when we went , my daughter was really made to feel welcome, made the whole thing a :cool: experience for her.

F/F

KATWYN
28th July 2004, 11:54
I don't think that reasoned discussion on relevant topics constitutes a hijack of Zed's thread.

True. It was mighty tempting though. Anyway I am not going to use the
"R" word on this blood thread....will catch up with you in the "other" thread
JR. Look out Zed, here I come :devil2:

Mongoose
28th July 2004, 12:06

Yes all fire services promote blood donation, however it is still the individual choice, and normally you are not allowed to donate while on an operational duty(for obvoius reasons) We got fresh muffins as well as the normal bickys
when we went , my daughter was really made to feel welcome, made the whole thing a :cool: experience for her.

F/F

Both my son and daughter have come on down to watch Dad give blood fior a few years now and so far they seem to think its a piece of the proverbial and will do it once they are of age. Personaly I think they enjoy the biccy and drink they get afterwards.

Firefight
28th July 2004, 15:48
Both my son and daughter have come on down to watch Dad give blood fior a few years now and so far they seem to think its a piece of the proverbial and will do it once they are of age. Personaly I think they enjoy the biccy and drink they get afterwards.

and of course being a Scot, I am always on the look out for somewhere to feed the kids for free. :crazy:

F/F

curious george
28th July 2004, 18:52

I think I have mentioned before I have a "living will" which means in the worst case scenario a relative that knows my wishes decides.

---> religous ravings that way please :confused2

**waits for fallout**
Hey MadDuck, I think I saw you at puke on Sat?
I've had a few dealings with JW's over the years, some accepting of blood,and products, some refused.
It's a (hopefully) well thought out and evaluated decision, and respected as such. You don't want blood? you dont get it.
It's been a bit hair raising, knowing something that would save a life is sitting in a fridge, just down the hall, but thankfully, I've not ever seen it go that wrong before.
I think it's fine to refuse on religous grounds,or even because 'I just don't want it'.
Each to their own and all that, just so long as it's not to be feared or confused with the misinformation of getting 'dirty blood' or random toxic reaction.
Obviously, it is possible to get the wrong blood, or have a bad reaction, but the blood bank work hard to make it as safe as possible, one of the best in the world I am told, (yes, they did work there! ;) )
It's not something given lightly, as many people have died from being given the wrong blood, but as medicines go, it's saved innumerable more.
Children are a different matter, but we won't go there!!!
Anyway, best of never having never needing it, eh?
See ya at puke next time!

curious george
28th July 2004, 18:54
and of course being a Scot, I am always on the look out for somewhere to feed the kids for free. :crazy:

F/F
Heehee. They do have some yummy bikkies don't they! Mmmmmmmmm and just juice.

MadDuck
29th July 2004, 21:05
Hey MadDuck, I think I saw you at puke on Sat?
I've had a few dealings with JW's over the years, some accepting of blood,and products, some refused.
See ya at puke next time!

Hi Curious
Ummm yes that was me mooching around at Pukekohe - god I love watching you guys race. And watch out cos I am going to get fast enough to take on at least the slowest of you :)
I have no problem whatsoever with peoples religious beliefs but I am a practical kinda gal. I have spent too much time in and out of A&E watching people suffer who could have been saved with the consent of an organ doner (no I am not a nurse).
Heck if I am bleeding to death on the side of the road...just for the record! I dont care what it takes to keep me alive within reason. I wanna ride another day.

Slim
30th July 2004, 10:59
What are the chances New Zealand could organise something like this:

Bikers v's Cops (http://www.mccofnsw.org.au/cgi-bin/printable.pl?id=87)

Mongoose
30th July 2004, 11:03

F/F

Umm, you KNEW I was a Scot too? :Punk:

riffer
30th July 2004, 11:13
I gave blood from the ages of 18 until 30.

At the age of 30 I suffered from a nasty infection of the lymphatic system, resulting with a fair propertion of my lymph nodes on my right hand side having to be removed.

An interesting side effect of this infection was the overloading of my pancreas, which apparently was going to give out anyway, as type 2 diabetes runs in my family.

So I now have type 1 diabetes instead but with an added complication of type 2 diabertes (insulin resistance) to complicate things. This apparently will only get worse as I get older. yippee (not).

Anyway, because of the amount of insulin I have to take, this makes me now unsuitable for blood donation.

I would love to continue donating, but they won't have me :(

Slim
25th January 2005, 11:15
It's been a while since this thread floated to the top, and with all the threads on crashes & offs lately ..... ;)

I had a call during the week before Xmas to come in & donate platelets, but due to shifts wasn't able to. Feeling a little guilty about that and moving to the Bay of Plenty where I'm not sure if they're setup to take platelets, I've just rung now & been talked into going in tomorrow! They're desperate! :shit:

I might boing up the thread about the Honda donation ride too ...

FlyingDutchMan
25th January 2005, 12:26
Given blood since I was old enough (last 9 years or so). Next due to give in 2 weeks. They only let me give blood for the ICU babies which means I'm only allowed to go in on a monday or thursday morning. As for my organs, they can go ahead and take em.

inlinefour
25th January 2005, 13:12
As a reciever of someones blood during surgery I like to give what I can. I also think that NZ should automatically make all those with a licience a donor unless instructed otherwise...