PDA

View Full Version : Str8's Road Trip/Race Spectaculaaaaaar!

Str8 Jacket
31st December 2009, 08:15
Me and Malcolm headed up to Wanganui on Xmas day to get him all scrutineered and ready to go for his first Cemetery Circuit. Spent that day running around in circles and then a lovely quiet night sleeping (in the van) in the pits. Malcolm rode extremely well on Boxing Day but I will let him tell that story...

We left Wanga's before the racing ended as we had to get to Taupo. Got to Taupo at 8 and set up the tent and had a few beers. The next morning we were up bright and early and got both the bikes through scrutineering with no issues (thanks Katman). I had been looking forward to this for months and was feeling really relaxed. Riding in SS150's, I put no expectations on myself this time and just wanted to; go hard, have fun and learn how to push myself a bit more!

I was told by someone that the first day which was practice was also qualifying as well and furthermore that they would only time certain laps. So naturally I went out there and went a bit harder than I would ever have on a track I didnt know! I had only done Taupo once before and that was the long track. So while I was moving pretty fast around the track, I did not for one moment expect to come round the corner onto the extension and see what looked like barrels right in front of me, on either side of the track. So I slam on the brakes until I get close enough to see the track. I dont think I go that corner right the whole time!

Anyway, turns out that qualifying was the next day.....

Malcolm and I walked the track early morning and he helped me out with lines and braking etc. The extension bit of the track looked alot less scary!

Qualifying:

I got out there and had an absolute blast until I blew my head gasket...

I qualified 18th. That was a mix of classics and ss150's.

RACE 1

I was feeling a little nervous and was hoping that my head gasket would hold up. Anyway I got a pretty good start and managed to go form the back of the grid to finish 5th. My best finish ever!

RACE 2

It had rained a bit and I was hoping that the track would be wet and slippery and it was!! I got an awesome start getting into 4th position with Sam Vanoosteram (sp?) behind me. The track was slippery as hell and I was sliding through every corner in the infield. I knew that I would either have an awesome race or an awesome bin. Then they red flagged us so we had to restart. Damn it!!

Start 2:

The track had totally dried and I got a bit of a stink start but was sitting in 5th again. I was having a blast at one point I came out of turn 1 a bit hot and had a huge moment. The bike went mental and I got slapped out of seat and it snapped a few times, I was thinking "wow, my first highside. Wonder if it'll hurt" and then my bike setteled and I kept going. I was bit weary of turn 1 for awhile and started gently easing the throttle on coming out of there. Then, on the 2nd to last lap I got a Jason and Max sandwich between corners 4 and 5 where I would not keep up with Max I did only just manage to get past Jason and hold him of to place 6th.

What an awesome event, we're going next year. See ya'll there!! :D

Pussy
31st December 2009, 08:20
Good on ya, Hels! You looked to be having a ball! :niceone:

yungatart
31st December 2009, 09:29
Good on ya, Hels! You looked to be having a ball! :niceone:

She certainly did....that wet track didn't look like it bothered her at all!
Well done, girl, good to catch up with you again!

Trudes
31st December 2009, 15:49
You were looking good Helsy!!!:niceone:

Kendog
1st January 2010, 09:10
It was cool fun watching you racing out there.
You look totally different to the first time I saw you in SS, much more relaxed and way quicker. Bring on another year of racing :2thumbsup

Number One
1st January 2010, 09:33
Good stuff chick :2thumbsup

Sully One
1st January 2010, 12:31
You DA man aunty Hels ;)

Str8 Jacket
2nd January 2010, 14:48
She certainly did....that wet track didn't look like it bothered her at all!
Well done, girl, good to catch up with you again!

Yeah, I was surprised at how relaxed I was while I was sliding. It was the most fun I have had on the track for ages!

Thanks all for your comments. Im looking forward to this years racing! :D

rustys
3rd January 2010, 15:09
Hey Hels, you had a great weekend, love to see you enjoying yourself so much, keep it up girl, see you soon.

Duke girl
5th January 2010, 07:09
Helen every time you go out onto the Race track you seem to be getting quicker & quicker and more & more comfident which is great to see.
Thanks heaps for all of the encouragement and information you gave me before I went out onto the track which was so much appreciated, just a pity I couldn't keep up with you but hopefully with plenty of practise I will 1 day be where you are today with your Racing.
Keep it up Hels, and Goodluck to you for the up and coming Series.

Str8 Jacket
7th January 2010, 13:37
No probs Skeeeepy, awesome to see you out there doing it! Dont you go getting too quick this year though, eh! ;)