PDA

View Full Version : Help I have no idea! . . .

Str8 Jacket
3rd May 2005, 12:46
Hey ive just joined this site after being told about it by a mate yesterday. Basically im pretty ignorant about bikes and most things to do with them! All I know is that I want one! And I love being on them!

Ive pretty much sussed out how to go about getting my licence, but now I want to get advice about WHAT bike to get. I dont have my drivers licence and haven't driven a car for about 10 years - not that I know if that matter's or not?

Anyways I have had a few replys from some of the "guy's" in the new members forum and they have suggested that I ask the "ladies" what type of bikes you have, like, recommend etc, any help would be appreciated! :niceone:

MSTRS
3rd May 2005, 13:00
Hello Ms .....Fits. Just had a read in the newbies thread & I agree with Ixion. A GN250 is an ideal learners bike, cheap as chips, easy to onsell when you are ready to move up.

Str8 Jacket
3rd May 2005, 13:11
Hello Ms .....Fits. Just had a read in the newbies thread & I agree with Ixion. A GN250 is an ideal learners bike, cheap as chips, easy to onsell when you are ready to move up.

:niceone: Yep sounds like a GN250 it is then. How much are they worth? Am I best to buy brand new or second hand? Where to begin! :spudwhat:

White trash
3rd May 2005, 13:18
:niceone: Yep sounds like a GN250 it is then. How much are they worth? Am I best to buy brand new or second hand? Where to begin! :spudwhat:

Wellington Motorcycles, Kent Tce.

Brand new, $2999 + ORC.

Ask for White trash.

welcome to the site by the way, great place to meet new folks.

MSTRS
3rd May 2005, 13:19
New/Used your choice. A new one is about $3000 and used ones - who knows, luck of the day but they hold their price quite well as are so popular. Search TradeMe for a good $ guide.

Str8 Jacket
3rd May 2005, 13:29
Me thinks I'll be going for a new bike, that way when I fark it up (bin it) then I know that im the only one to blame!

MSTRS
3rd May 2005, 13:34
That's the attitude - go see WT at WMCC. Although, a few weeks on here & you might 'learn' that blaming some(one/thing) else is almost expected. :laugh:

Str8 Jacket
3rd May 2005, 13:36
Yea gonna go see W/T, he's a good guy . . :msn-wink:

White trash
3rd May 2005, 13:39
Yea gonna go see W/T, he's a good guy . . :msn-wink:

Dunno who the hell you've been speaking to, but they obviously know fuck all. :D

I'm spotting a connection actually.

Str8 Jacket
3rd May 2005, 13:42
I'm spotting a connection actually.

Well at least somethings connecting! Do you think you could get my brain to "connect"?

Ha, was it maybe my first post that said "My first ride ever was on a 1000CC over the Rimutaka's . . . maybe? :msn-wink:

surfchick
3rd May 2005, 16:16
i dont' know about the gn's- I would consider going 2nd hand to get something more grunty and risk any repairs and trashings on it. - my bike has has OK power for a 250, but to be honest- me like more. the GN seems a sound bet- but rrr consider the other options. i started from nought- likeing cruisers best, and now I've completely changed me mind. My bike is in-between the styles-refelcting my indecision...but not when i get off the 250cc restriction. things will be different then :devil2: :devil2: :devil2:

but really all bikes are cool. awesome that you're getting one. if your family is anything like mine they'll tell you you're a nut. which you probably are. :msn-wink:

MOTOXXX
3rd May 2005, 17:36
yea go the gn.
cheap to run, maintain and good to learn on.

imo i think bikes like the cbr250, zxr250 etc are too racey for someone who hasnt realy ridden before. the sitting position is quite aggressive for a learner.

Str8 Jacket
4th May 2005, 07:01
i dont' know about the gn's- I would consider going 2nd hand to get something more grunty and risk any repairs and trashings on it. - my bike has has OK power for a 250, but to be honest- me like more. the GN seems a sound bet- but rrr consider the other options. i started from nought- likeing cruisers best, and now I've completely changed me mind. My bike is in-between the styles-refelcting my indecision...but not when i get off the 250cc restriction. things will be different then :devil2: :devil2: :devil2:

but really all bikes are cool. awesome that you're getting one. if your family is anything like mine they'll tell you you're a nut. which you probably are. :msn-wink:

Yea, my mothers not too happy bout it, but then my old man told me that she used to pillion on the back of his bike up until she was 8 months pregnant with me! . . . So im just gonna remind her of that! :msn-wink:

Goin to have a look at GN's etc on Sat. Just having a look at training courses at the moment, basically I wanna get my licence within a coupla months and be on the road on my own bike by the end of the year!

James Deuce
4th May 2005, 07:32
I wish more people were that honest.

Maximus
4th May 2005, 08:22
I wish more people were that honest.

Mate, are you sure "she's" a female . . . :shifty: . . . If so (no offence meant) but Str8 Jacket, you'd be one of the first (women) to admit this!! (waits for retort)

Str8 Jacket
4th May 2005, 10:46
Mate, are you sure "she's" a female . . . :shifty: . . . If so (no offence meant) but Str8 Jacket, you'd be one of the first (women) to admit this!! (waits for retort)

haha, yep I'm pretty sure im a female . . . . and yes, I have to admit, most of the time I really don't have a clue! :whistle:

Maximus
4th May 2005, 10:54
haha, yep I'm pretty sure im a female . . . . and yes, I have to admit, most of the time I really don't have a clue! :whistle:

riiiiighto then, I'll take ya word for that! Rep point coming your way - I'm amazed?!

Str8 Jacket
4th May 2005, 13:02
riiiiighto then, I'll take ya word for that! Rep point coming your way - I'm amazed?!

Yea, well what can I say :whistle:

Maximus
4th May 2005, 13:47
Yea, well what can I say :whistle:

Well if your a women, then I'd say you'd have loads to say!! :eyepoke:

Str8 Jacket
4th May 2005, 14:07

Mate!! You don't know the half of it! Im constantly in trouble for my big mouth, just cant help it sometimes . . . .!!

Storm
4th May 2005, 15:40
Mate!! You don't know the half of it! Im constantly in trouble for my big mouth, just cant help it sometimes . . . .!!

And now you've found the perfect place to spout anything and everything to the world. Your happiness is complete

Maximus
4th May 2005, 15:40

. . . . Don't be so hard on yourself, some guy's like big mouths! :whistle:

jazbug5
4th May 2005, 16:50
. . . . Don't be so hard on yourself, some guy's like big mouths! :whistle:

Strange, that, when small mouths ought to suit them so much better..?

Slipstream
4th May 2005, 16:53

Yeah, especially about the use of plurals :whistle:

(Don't worry Hitcher...I caught the feind this time...I got ya back buddy :niceone: )

Str8 Jacket
5th May 2005, 07:00

:killingme . . . great minds . . . . huh! :whistle:

Beemer
5th May 2005, 09:50
Whatever you end up getting, make sure you feel comfortable on it - in other words, make sure you can touch the ground! I have no idea how tall you are, but I'm 5'1" and I found a lot of bikes were too tall for me. I started off on a Suzuki RG150 and it was great for my confidence because it was nice and low and skinny - and pretty light too. I moved up to a BMW F650CS after three years but now have that on the market as I've bought a Suzuki SG350 (aka Goose) - light, skinny and so much fun to ride I keep thinking I'm going to get nicked for having an obscene amount of fun! In fact I think I'll wheel it out of the garage right now and go for a ride!

Sounds like you're in Wellington, so I'd contact WIMA if I were you - the girls there were so helpful when I first started riding (last century!) and if you want to talk to someone who has ridden just about every bike there is, ask for Loopy.

I don't know which guy at WMC is referred to as White Trash (and I'm not going to get into a slanging match by suggesting which one it should be!), but I've always found Pete very helpful. Unlike Steve Dumdum who told me once that some people should never be on bikes... and he sells Harleys...

Str8 Jacket
5th May 2005, 10:03
Whatever you end up getting, make sure you feel comfortable on it - in other words, make sure you can touch the ground! I have no idea how tall you are, but I'm 5'1" and I found a lot of bikes were too tall for me. I started off on a Suzuki RG150 and it was great for my confidence because it was nice and low and skinny - and pretty light too. I moved up to a BMW F650CS after three years but now have that on the market as I've bought a Suzuki SG350 (aka Goose) - light, skinny and so much fun to ride I keep thinking I'm going to get nicked for having an obscene amount of fun! In fact I think I'll wheel it out of the garage right now and go for a ride!

Sounds like you're in Wellington, so I'd contact WIMA if I were you - the girls there were so helpful when I first started riding (last century!) and if you want to talk to someone who has ridden just about every bike there is, ask for Loopy.

I don't know which guy at WMC is referred to as White Trash (and I'm not going to get into a slanging match by suggesting which one it should be!), but I've always found Pete very helpful. Unlike Steve Dumdum who told me once that some people should never be on bikes... and he sells Harleys...

Thanks for the info :niceone: . I (kinda) know white trash through people i've met, he seems sweet as to me, and if he's willing to help me buy a bike then thats sweet too!
I'm 5.3ish and have definately decided on a GN250, sat on a few of my mates bikes over the last few weeks or so and that would have to be the best so far. Gonna go have a looksie on Sat tho just to be sure.

Maximus
5th May 2005, 10:40

:killingme
Ouch, :bash: shot down. Damn it the "ladies" here are smart!

FROSTY
6th May 2005, 02:32
The gnooo is a bloody good beginners bike.
Y amight wanna concider the alternatives first before jumping in.
The srv is a nice little V twin and yamaha also do a sr250 which seems pretty robust.
I'm not saying don't buy a GN just look at all ya options first

Sutage
6th May 2005, 10:24
Id reccomend the SR250, i got one 2 days ago and have no problems riding around, the clutch is real forgiving, it doesnt lurch and throw you off, and deals pretty good with the abuse im giving it while learning.

Never ride another bike proper but it seems to be ok speed wise, goes like 70k real easy in just 4th gear and a bit of throttle, taking it out tomorrow so will get back to you with a topish speed.

very nice to ride, comfortable, looks good, ya id reccomend it, cheap too, i paid 1700 for mine and its in pretty good condition, surfchick has a srV too, she loves it

Waylander
6th May 2005, 11:31
sr250? What about a XV250:2thumbsup Good bikes them just ask Crashe.

Virago
6th May 2005, 19:14
sr250? What about a XV250:2thumbsup Good bikes them just ask Crashe.
I have to agree, the XV250 is great for the shorty learners. Very low seat, very low centre of gravity, and even better it looks and sounds like a bigger cruiser. A bit pricey though, $7K new, but they really hold their value (10 year old ones sell for $4500 - $5000.

If you're happy looking like a commuter or a learner, get a GN250 or SR250, but if you want to cruuuuuuuise, and look real cooooooool, the XV is the ultimate learner. :ride:

Waylander
6th May 2005, 19:24
I have to agree, the XV250 is great for the shorty learners. Very low seat, very low centre of gravity, and even better it looks and sounds like a bigger cruiser. A bit pricey though, $7K new, but they really hold their value (10 year old ones sell for $4500 - $5000.

If you're happy looking like a commuter or a learner, get a GN250 or SR250, but if you want to cruuuuuuuise, and look real cooooooool, the XV is the ultimate learner. :ride:
Lol you also get a V-twin wich I don't think you can get from any other 250 cruiser. Is that you're other bike there V=V? Or perhaps the misses?

Virago
6th May 2005, 20:14
Lol you also get a V-twin wich I don't think you can get from any other 250 cruiser. Is that you're other bike there V=V? Or perhaps the misses?
I wish........

I'm working on getting the other half "off my back" and out on her own, I even got her to try an XV250 for size - she likes it! Alas, she prefers to waste our money on trivials like food, power, etc.

Waylander
6th May 2005, 20:46
Just did a quik scan in the way that I do when I'm slightly bored and came up with these.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-26142310.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-26175382.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-26555027.htm

So you can get them for relativly cheaper than new price.

surfchick
6th May 2005, 21:48
i like the super gran one. screen's pretty rad- looks in purrrfect nic.

zadok
7th May 2005, 11:35
Considered a Honda VTR250? Nice looking bike and is a good handler and got a bit of grunt, apparently.

http://www.hondamotorcycles.com.au/motorcycle+range/road/entry/default.htm

surfchick
8th May 2005, 08:30
v-twin's good- i like mine. check out the srx250. i like them too- axion put us ones with srv250's on to it and we didn't know about it and a few of us are thinking I QUITE LIKE THAT. there's a pic of it in the srv250 thread

Str8 Jacket
9th May 2005, 07:21
Hey thanks for the suggestions and advice. Im just waiting to find out today if im gonna get the $$ I need, then I'll have my licence by the end of next month and a brand new GN250 asap! :niceone:

T.I.E
9th May 2005, 07:36
gpx just like the vtr maybe too high off the ground, but they have a bit more pick up and can handle sitting at 100kph all day long.
i have had 3 gn250's great little bikes, perfect for around town communiting, cheap to run too.
single 250 are (i think) robust.
twin 250's would be able to maintain a higher speed.
and 4 cyclinder 250's not a learners thing.
good luck and have fun.

Str8 Jacket
9th May 2005, 10:39
Well the finance companies just been in touch with me. They approved my loan!! The only problem is the guy I spoke to @ the shop said they wouldn't have any GN's for about 6 weeks. But I guess that'll give me enuf time to fail my learners licence test a few times before my bike arrives!!
Im booked in for a learn to ride course on the 21st, which is then followed by my Basic Handling Course, so then all I have to do is get my learners licence within 6 weeks (or so) I'm stoked!

MSTRS
9th May 2005, 11:03
To paraphrase an old saying....a time for everything and everything in it's own time. Good onya

Str8 Jacket
9th May 2005, 11:10
To paraphrase an old saying....a time for everything and everything in it's own time. Good onya

Thanks man. Im pretty impatient usually, but I guess 6 weeks will go by fast enuf! Im just stoked that I can finally turn a dream into reality - Im practically bouncing around the office today, doubt they'll get much work outta me today!

surfchick
9th May 2005, 13:36
man 6 weeks will be torture-
i couldn't stand wating 2 days for it not to be sunday so i could buy mine.
good luck makin it through the MONTH & a-HALF waiting period...

roxy
9th May 2005, 14:02
six weeks does seem like a long time, hope it goes fast for you so you can be get out there. :ride:

Str8 Jacket
9th May 2005, 14:04
man 6 weeks will be torture-
i couldn't stand wating 2 days for it not to be sunday so i could buy mine.
good luck makin it through the MONTH & a-HALF waiting period...

Yea I know, :brick: BUT at least I know it's actually going to happen now! :D
And knowing I have yet to get my licence helps to . . .

Sorry Slipstream, looks like I wont have (my bike) it by Queens Birthday, but there's always another time :yes:

Beemer
9th May 2005, 14:37
Six weeks, luxury! When I bought the Beemer I had to wait something like four months for it to arrive from Germany! As for the Goose, I put a deposit on it in the middle of March but only waited two weeks to go back up to Rotorua and collect it because I couldn't wait to have it ready to ride!

Good luck with the Learn to Ride and Basic Handling courses, you'll pass no sweat and then all of a sudden your bike will be here and you won't know yourself!

Maximus
9th May 2005, 14:52
Thanks man. Im pretty impatient usually, but I guess 6 weeks will go by fast enuf! Im just stoked that I can finally turn a dream into reality - Im practically bouncing around the office today, doubt they'll get much work outta me today!

:D That's the attitude!! You'll be up and riding in no time, just you wait! :msn-wink:

surfchick
10th May 2005, 15:20
Six weeks, luxury! When I bought the Beemer I had to wait something like four months for it to arrive from Germany! !

that's a never going to work for me!! wasn't born with an iota of patience. dat's why i switched to bikes...

i like dos geese by da way. look pretty sharp & zippy. bit saucier dan the beemer?

Maximus
11th May 2005, 10:33
that's a never going to work for me!! wasn't born with an iota of patience. dat's why i switched to bikes...

I'm starting to think that MOST woman have no patience . . . :msn-wink:

However, 6 weeks, that seems kinda long for a GN250 (imo). Str8 Jacket, have you asked at other shops etc? . . . I'd be questioning this length of time . .

Beemer
11th May 2005, 14:34
You're not wrong about the Goose Surfchick, it's pretty damn cool! I miss the upright riding position of the Beemer (and the heated grips, ABS and comfortable seat!) but the Goose is just so much fun to ride. It makes me feel like a teenager again! (Don't tell my husband, he'd say I'm way too old to be fooling around with a teenager!) The Goose loves corners and because it has a DR350 engine, it sounds a lot nicer than the BMW - that, unfortunately, sounds like a sewing machine.

And, from another post, surfing is fine - if you can swim, I can't!

Str8 Jacket
12th May 2005, 14:00
Im stoked, my brand new GN250 will be arriving in approx 5 weeks, that'll give me enough time to get my licence etc, so im stoked!!

Anyone in Wellys come for a ride with a "learner" round the end of June? Need someone to "show me the ropes" . . . :Punk:

btw - I can't start a new thread for some reason?!?!

Maximus
17th May 2005, 08:23
Anyone seen or heard from St8 Jacket, she hasn't been on here for awhile. If you read this Str8 Jacket pm me (back), I have that info you wanted! . . . :msn-wink:

hondacmx450
17th May 2005, 10:20
good on you for turning to the two wheeled side of life and a gn well thay r the longest made bike 13 or 15 years i think i think evry one has had or riden on thay r good to learn on and thay will teach you too and not to much to fix if opps my foot sliped and it just fell over evry ones done it :killingme :Punk: :killingme

froggyfrenchman
9th August 2005, 17:54

$3000 brand spanking with mag wheels or $800 upward for 2nd hand. have heard the new 1s are quite prone to rust in the frame... Gnwas my 1st road bike, nd nw my fiancee is learning on 1. unbeatable as a learner bike!

Good luck and happy motorbiking :ride:

GN1NiteStnd
29th August 2005, 09:59
^^
Yip im learning on one.
And its been great so far.
Havent had a big off yet, and im probably due...