PDA

View Full Version : YDS-3 picture..

nudemetalz
1st January 2010, 22:35
I was going through some old pics and I found one of my old man on a Yamaha YDS-3 (by the looks) going around a racetrack, most likely Ruapuna.
Not the clearest, sorry. Would put it at 1969'ish as I believe he had one of those before he bought the Mach-111.

Just thought I'd share.

RDjase
2nd January 2010, 20:22
I was going through some old pics and I found one of my old man on a Yamaha YDS-3 (by the looks) going around a racetrack, most likely Ruapuna.
Not the clearest, sorry. Would put it at 1969'ish as I believe he had one of those before he bought the Mach-111.

Just thought I'd share.

Cool ! Its always good to see classic Stroker Yams on the track, A mate has got a TR2 in his shed and I am trying really hard to get it to a track day, or even better pre 72 jnr race.

robinm
5th January 2010, 08:57
How about this one, another 250cc Yamaha, same track (Ruapuna), different decade. It is me on my old TZ250A, the TZ that Randy Mamola left here in NZ after crashing it badly at Wanganui on boxing day '74 or '75, not sure on the exact year. Photo taken in 1980 on the fast left hander coming on to the front straight. ( old track of course.)

nudemetalz
5th January 2010, 10:24
Don't ya just love old pics :niceone:

SPman
6th January 2010, 15:32
Ahhh - the YDS3, with it's soulful moaning exhaust noise. The bike that proved to me all bikes didn't have to sound like an industrial engine!

nudemetalz
8th January 2010, 09:43
And one of the best looking pre '70 Japanese bikes.

roogazza
10th January 2010, 08:54
The round tank badge would suggest a 64 model Nude. I had one and then the 66 after that. Gaz.

nudemetalz
10th January 2010, 09:51
Hey Gaz, thanks for that info.
If that's the case ,then the '64 would be one of the first of the '3s as I think the YDS2's came out in 1963.

And from what I remember my old man telling me, those old Yam's had the oil pump geared to the clutch (as I think Suzuki T20's did too). So, revving the bike in gear wasn't recommended as no oil to the engine/crankshaft...

roogazza
12th January 2010, 10:36
Hey Gaz, thanks for that info.
If that's the case ,then the '64 would be one of the first of the '3s as I think the YDS2's came out in 1963.

And from what I remember my old man telling me, those old Yam's had the oil pump geared to the clutch (as I think Suzuki T20's did too). So, revving the bike in gear wasn't recommended as no oil to the engine/crankshaft...
Probably right ? I think the YDS2s' were pre mix ? The clutches weren't the best, not advised to stay too long at lights with it pulled in. It was a grabby thing, on the end of the crank from memory. The T20 was different and didn't suffer those niggles.
Let me know if you hear of a good YDS3 , been looking for years, or a 305 YM1 rarer still. gaz.

nudemetalz
12th January 2010, 10:45
Sheez, I find either of those...it'll end in my garage first, Gaz ;)