5th January 2010, 20:46
So I kindof misread the warning label on my battery when I charged it up

I read it as
"REMOVE CAPS WHEN CHARGING"

but actually it says
"NEVER FILL WITH WATER, NEVER
REMOVE CAPS WHEN CHARGING
NEVER DO SOMETHING ELSE.."

it had charged for about 2 hours before I took the caps off, (gas was escaping from them, it was bubbling) they were off for maybe 30mins before I put it back in the bike and rode it for 90mins

so. why not?
I can see stuff on the net about not doing it. but I dont know why or what damage has been done.

220 Ohms
5th January 2010, 21:33
Thats a strange one, I have always removed the caps when charging a battery and never had any issues.
The batteries have a vent anyway so I guess all it is doing is making it slightly easier for any gas to escape. Maybe it is to stop numpties from spilling acid on themselves after taking the caps off.

pyrocam
5th January 2010, 21:40
This battery doesnt have a vent or anything, I was looking for the hose to reattach but it doesnt exist on this bike or battery. weird indeed (from the batteries I've seen anyway)

maybe its not acid, maybe gel I dont know. looks like this http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/productprofile.asp?ProductGroupID=2046
not that brand though.

steve_t
5th January 2010, 21:50
I think the safety warning is there cos the bubbles are releasing hydrogen gas which is highly combustible (read explosive). I've seen a car battery explode but not a bike one. Not sure how much gas would be made.... probably not enough that would require taking the caps off I guess

CookMySock
6th January 2010, 08:17
It's a sealed battery. If you open it you will bugger the seals and then it won't go upside down without dripping - so now no more biking upside down. :Oops:

Steve

vifferman
6th January 2010, 08:40
It should be OK, but at most it may have lost a wee bit of moisture. If the plates isnide are all covered, don't worry about it. Otherwise add a very small amount of distilled water, close it up, and don't do it again! :Pokey:

bsasuper
6th January 2010, 16:46
You dont add anything if the construction is absorbant matt

Hamish Carlson
20th January 2010, 09:17
Known as an unserviceable battery, normally with a serviceable battery you leave the caps off for the initial charge, after filling with acid, to let the H2 out, as more than usual will come off Pb plates as initial reaction begins. With a sealed battery the H2 and 0 react with each other more readily creating a less loss environment. In theory taking the caps off let the battery lose more gas than usual, taking some of the reaction out of the environment so to speak, Wouldn't lose sleep over it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealed_lead_acid_batteries