PDA

View Full Version : Good bike roads map...

magicmonkey
6th January 2010, 08:52
I had a read of the thread about an iPhone app (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/116352-iPhone-iPod-touch-app-for-bikers-Greatest-Road) which has a map of good bike roads and lamented my lack of an iPhone (not for the first time!) I thought it would be good to have a google maps page I could put a few decent roads on so I trotted off and made that. Then I thought 'hey, why not let everyone on there...'

So, I've popped a couple of roads around Welly on a google map and opened it up to everyone to edit, I intended to add a few landmarks in case of something dangerous/interesting that wasn't an actual ride but might affect one (road works, places the police tend to hang out with camera's etc.) but I haven't got around to that yet as I only set it up before going to work.

Anyway, here's the link, if you want to add anything to it then feel free :)
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=105320956386882467521.00047c6f7e444ee06efef

steve_t
6th January 2010, 11:34
Good thread. Once routes are verified, someone can probably add the routes to the Wiki :niceone:

magicmonkey
6th January 2010, 11:40
If it takes off and people add a decent amount of road s to it with some decent descriptions on there then I'll pop it on the wiki. I'm pretty sure you can insert a google map straight into the wiki although that may be a mod rather than a standard feature (I'd have to hassle the mods about it I suppose but shouldn't be a big deal...)

centaurus
6th January 2010, 12:06
A while ago there was a thread with people's favourite bike roads in NZ. I actually saved most of them on my google maps, along with their comments.

You can find them here: http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?hl=en&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&view=map

I made them public so you should be able to see them. Some try the link and let me know if it's working (you need to be logged in google maps to access them but If I login as me, I would see them anyway). If anybody know.

James Deuce
6th January 2010, 12:08
http://kiwiridermagazine.blogspot.com/2009/12/vote-for-nzs-best-road.html

From my perspective it's any road that doesn't have another soul on it.

steve_t
6th January 2010, 12:51
From my perspective it's any road that doesn't have another soul on it.

Agree!

10 chars

Pedrostt500
7th January 2010, 18:31
Pick up a copy of Kiwi Maps, North Island Complete Drivers Atlas, and South Island Complete Drivers Atlas, both have indexed country roads, so good for finding your way around, in the sticks, being a map book no fear of the battery going flat or loosing reception.

magicmonkey
7th January 2010, 20:51
Pick up a copy of Kiwi Maps, North Island Complete Drivers Atlas, and South Island Complete Drivers Atlas, both have indexed country roads, so good for finding your way around, in the sticks, being a map book no fear of the battery going flat or loosing reception.

While I'd use a paper map over a GPS any day of the week, that isn't really what the idea behind this was. I'm more hoping to get a collection of roads which are good to ride that people from all over the country can access and then use their paper maps to get to, more a directory that a map I suppose...

magicmonkey
7th January 2010, 20:52

While I'd use a paper map over a GPS any day of the week, that isn't really what the idea behind this was. I'm more hoping to get a collection of roads which are good to ride that people from all over the country can access and then use their paper maps to get to; more a directory that a map I suppose...

centaurus
14th January 2010, 13:11
I've just bought a book called: "NZ Motorcycle Atlas" that seems to have most (if not all) of the great riding roads in NZ, with description and fuel points for each, even split between gravel and seal sections. I will be using it in Feb when I do my 2 weeks holiday touring the North Island and I can give you a feedback on its accuracy if anybody is interested.

Quasi
14th January 2010, 15:41
I have got "great Escapes - Motorcycle touring in NZ" it seems rather simple and doesnt really tell you much about the roads or the route. I wouldnt recommend.