PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha MT01

Cajun
3rd May 2005, 22:04
Okay i took this bike for a quick spin on sunday avo

First thing you notice is the huge engine, in a small frame, and its unqiue styleing, some people love it other hates it, personally i find it pretty nice looking.

Thumb the started and you are greeted with a nice loud sound out of the stock exhusts(amzed these go thru the sound nazi's)

I was very dispointed with the 1670cc engine over all 90ish hp, with 150nm of torque, so the specs read, i don't know where they got that reading from, giving the bike a nice big handful in 2nd(5 speed box), and i waited and waited, with the amount of torque on tape you would expect a nice kick in the pants or simlar, but i have felt better pulling power out of vtr which only has 95ish nm of torque. Saw close to twice the legal speed limit <cough>controled closed roads <cough>

Handleing felt pretty good, not sportsbike area, pretty nimble none the less, it handled it 240kg(dry weight) pretty well, didn't feel high.

Seat height felt high, with a widish seat, it will not suit the small folk.
This bike is selling for $25000 or so i have heard, it is not on yamaha, nz aussie, or us site, but is on the yamaha europe site, with a wide range of yamaha extras you can buy for it.

Over all i give this bike a 6.5/10(motor feeling lack of torque really let it down)

idb
4th May 2005, 00:59
Your experience reads very similarly to a magazine review I read a few weeks ago Cajun.
Interesting bike, reasonably agile, but seemed to run out of puff pretty early.
Overall performance rather disappointing.

StoneChucker
4th May 2005, 18:21
Hence the name... "Empty One" :killingme

Zapf
4th May 2005, 19:22
ermm... sell my 750 and get a super duke! :laugh:

Biff
16th May 2005, 11:57
A lovely looking bike though. Shame it has no guts.

Fart
16th May 2005, 14:44
Will the MT01 be a good bike for around town? I am thinking of getting a bike to get around places and my current cbr600rr for weekends.

James Deuce
16th May 2005, 14:47
Will the MT01 be a good bike for around town? I am thinking of getting a bike to get around places and my current cbr600rr for weekends.
I reckon!

Sounds like my ideal garage. MT-01, R6, Road Warrior.

Eurodave
16th May 2005, 15:16
Sounds to me like a mufflergutectomy , K&N filter & a chip ala Buell would help liberate a bit more stomp, this thing should be able to pull treestumps with that amount of ccs & potential torque. Should be heaps of fun to ride then,short shifting to surf that big phat torque curve!! I LOVE BIG V-TWINS!!!

Lou Girardin
16th May 2005, 15:22
How can a modern sporty type Jap bike weigh 240 kg's?
This is taking nostalgia too far.

badlieutenant
16th May 2005, 15:25
Hence the name... "Empty One" :killingme
he just cant help him self :D