PDA

View Full Version : What pants should I buy?

SMOKEU
7th January 2010, 16:41
I have a budget of around $200 for a pair of riding pants. I don't want something that is going to be too hot and sweaty, it has to be breathable. I currenty have a pair of synthetic riding pants but they have the nasty habit of stripping the skin off the back of my legs after I wear them for more than about 30 minutes (without me crashing). What should I buy, and where (in Christchurch)?

p.dath
7th January 2010, 16:54
I have a budget of around $200 for a pair of riding pants. I don't want something that is going to be too hot and sweaty, it has to be breathable. I currenty have a pair of synthetic riding pants but they have the nasty habit of stripping the skin off the back of my legs after I wear them for more than about 30 minutes (without me crashing). What should I buy, and where (in Christchurch)?

What sort of riding do you do? On-road or off-road?

Do you predomiantly ride in summer only, or all year round?

SMOKEU
7th January 2010, 17:11
I ride on road all year round.

steve_t
7th January 2010, 17:40
It may be worth considering picking up some skins or other similar product that wicks the moisture away from your skin and allows you to continue wearing your current pants without stripping your skin off every time you ride :niceone:

SMOKEU
7th January 2010, 17:45
It may be worth considering picking up some skins or other similar product that wicks the moisture away from your skin and allows you to continue wearing your current pants without stripping your skin off every time you ride :niceone:

Good point, although my current pants are getting too small so I need bigger ones anyway.

peasea
7th January 2010, 18:21
Good point, although my current pants are getting too small so I need bigger ones anyway.

Your pants are getting too small? Have they shrunk or are you packing it on? Come on, be honest.

cs363
7th January 2010, 18:39

X 2 on that. You'd be amazed how good they work, I've got a similar product from Alpinestars 'Tech Race Summer Underwear' and I must admit I was a little sceptical at first, but boy do they make a difference under leathers on a hot day - no more pants sticking to your legs and arse. These ones also have some sort of treatment that spreads the heat over your body so you cool quicker as well. Good ones like these or Skins, Under Armour and other brands aren't cheap but they definitely work.

gunrunner
7th January 2010, 18:49

Not sure what you are after but check out

www.1tonne.co.nz

Reasonably priced and of excellent quality .

SMOKEU
7th January 2010, 21:32
Your pants are getting too small? Have they shrunk or are you packing it on? Come on, be honest.

I'm putting on weight, I'm trying to get fatter by the day.

hayd3n
7th January 2010, 21:58

pink ones :P

hayd3n
7th January 2010, 22:10
a good site to check out is
www.lincrabikewear.co.nz

p.dath
7th January 2010, 22:15
What about 1Tonne kevlar jeans? $120
http://www.1tonne.co.nz/index.php?page=listings&categoryid=11

And these Cordura pants are $140, and have front and rear vents:
http://www.1tonne.co.nz/index.php?page=listingDetails&prodid=27&sco=&categoryid=2

peasea
8th January 2010, 06:43
I'm putting on weight, I'm trying to get fatter by the day.

In that case I'd be looking for a Kevlar-lined 'stretch-n-grow'.

200BUSA
8th January 2010, 10:11

Im local CHCH come and see what i have in stock - maybe able to help. cheers. PM for details.

Jally Bean
8th January 2010, 13:25

Yikes, I have exactly the same dilemma - have been checking it out with the CHCH gals on their thread. I have been riding in my DriRiders with the liners zipped out but they just stick to me and make me totally uncomfy.
Tried on allsorts today and can't decide on what level of protection I'm happy with. Draggin seem quite good for just a quick commute but I think I want more proection for a long ride. Tried on some Kevlar jeans at Hamptons - have kevlar fabric round the bum and hips as well as kevlar shells in the knees. Not convinced they will fit over my boots through so going to go back tomorrow. Tried on some proper leathers too but haven't found any with a comfy fit - reckon they'll be too hot for what I want... Have tried polypro under my DriRiders thinking it would wick the moisture away and make everything more pleasant but didn't help much. Still looking - keep me posted with what you finally choose?
Thanks!

Jally Bean
8th January 2010, 13:28
Im local CHCH come and see what i have in stock - maybe able to help. cheers. PM for details.

Doh - I can't PM cos I'm too much of a newbie. Can you PM me with where I can find you. Thanks

slofox
8th January 2010, 13:29
I have a pair of Jet Leathers leather jeans that I no longer use. These have had six months wear only and are in mint condition. Would sell for $150. They'll fit a waist of about 87cm...maybe a bit more. PM me if interested.

Jally Bean
8th January 2010, 13:53
I have a budget of around $200 for a pair of riding pants... (in Christchurch)?

Sorry forgot to mention the Hamptons jeans I like the best so far are a bit more than that - $250 I think. :(

centaurus
8th January 2010, 13:59

There are quite a lot of synthetic pants outthere made to keep the water out that don't breathe at all. My first riding pants were like that. After 1/2h of riding it was getting unconfortable. I even tried using them as overpants (in cold weather) and after about 1h of riding, the jeans were almost wet because the riding pants were breathing at all and the normal body perspiration wasn't going anywhere. I can't tell you how bad it was when I took them dirt riding and I got really wet in the first river crossing - I stayed wet the whole day.

Few options that I have tried so far:
- draggin jeans: breathe, decent abrasion protection, you can always fit knee protectors on the inside for additional protection. However, at high speeds on naked bikes or in winter they tend to get chilly.
- leather pants with proper vents - best road protection, very good weather protection but if you ride below 50kph in full summer they can get pretty hot. At m-way speeds, even if it's really hot the vents will keep you cool and dry. Another up is that they mold to your shape so they become very confy after a couple of weeks. Mine have vents behind the knee and in the crotch and i wear them all year around. When it's winter I put thermals for long rides.
- i have friends that have breathable waterproof synthetics but I don't know a way of making sure they breathe before buying them.

cs363
8th January 2010, 16:48
- i have friends that have breathable waterproof synthetics but I don't know a way of making sure they breathe before buying them.

If it's Gore-Tex then you know beyond a doubt, outside of that my experience is that reputable branded stuff usually works but a lot of the el-cheapo stuff doesn't do what it says on the box, though of course there are exceptions. The beauty of KB is that there is a raft of folks out there that can give us real world consumer product tests.

3umph
8th January 2010, 22:23
Go and see Just Motorcycles in New Brighton. They have some good cheaper Jackets and Pants in ther at the moment...

Gee i hope you have not got any taller... and hows the CBR going?

SMOKEU
8th January 2010, 23:46
Go and see Just Motorcycles in New Brighton. They have some good cheaper Jackets and Pants in ther at the moment...

Gee i hope you have not got any taller... and hows the CBR going?

The CBR is going mint, almost done 24,000km. The fuel pump shat itself, and it was a mission to find another one for it (Honda wanted over $300 for a new one) so I fitted one designed for an old Mini. Other than that I haven't had any problems with it. All I need to do now is adjust the chain tension as it's a bit loose...

Mike Wilson
24th April 2010, 14:25
Hi, while I may be above your budget Jet Leathers make very nice Leather trousers which allow for breathing and are cut to your size, shape etc. We make sexy, practical pants to cover all the bases and our internal liner is designed to offer the wearer comfort, protection and absorbs sweat etc on hot Summer days or long rides. Check us out at jetleathers.com Good luck Mike Wilson