PDA

View Full Version : Honda VFR400 (NC30) Reveiw

Kwaka-Kid
3rd May 2005, 23:14
Well finally i threw it together! as short as i could i put to paper my story, and how i feel about the NC30's.

The NC30.

Introduction
My personal introduction to the NC30 was 2 years ago purchasing a NC30 framed/NC35 powered beast, to use as a racebike. Soon came an NC24 and later (9months ago) an NC30.

The 1992 VFR400 NC30 that I own is amazing to say the least. It came to me ex-Japan with 2,000km (hmm, bit hard to believe) as damaged-repairable. Had the Le-Mans 24hour single side headlight, lightweight fibreglass fairings, a few anodised bits, Earls Plot braided lines, and some pretty badly gummed up carburettors. After 3 months of hard work on the beast, repairing broken fairings, replacing bent handlebars, painting, and tweaking out, she was almost complete, all this still while commuting on it, and even taking it out for the odd weekend blast in its various stages.

I Found right from day 1, after cleaning out the carbs, she had pretty good power all round with a definite pickup over 7,000rpm of the 14,500rpm range given, and a further boost around 11,000rpm. Being a Honda, it has a silent, and smooth gearbox that just loves to be up-shifted without the clutch, every gear over 2<SUP>nd</SUP> just catching in perfectly without issue when done properly. With its Slipper Clutch from stock they don’t mind the harder down changes and thoughtless dumping of the clutch when the old mind is working overtime trying to keep some pace thru the favourite twisties.

Modifications
Despite the above, there is always room for improvement… so what have I done to make it better? Well listing in order of what I found to give the best results…

Carbon Fibre end can, 44mm ID straight thru, 450mm long
Wow, straight away the bike was freed up… breathing so much better and sounding so horny this is defiantly the first thing to do to your NC30!

Lifted Needles 1x 0.5mm washer under, Drilled slide holes to 2.5mm, air bleed screws half a turn out from stock, 116front 118rear main jets
Lifting the needles richend midrange to help rid the stock flat spot @ 5,500rpm, Drilling slide holes 0.5mm larger only makes the bike more responsive, air bleed screws was to lean out idle, as it was bogging with a blip of the throttle from idle. Main jets were stock for that year/Japan, however 1989 model has 110’s all around, yet engine/carbs are identical… ffice:smarttags" />Replaced stock paper element air filter with high-flow foam, removed snorkel, cut away plastic front flap of lower air box, removed under tank foam.
Foam let the bike breathe more with its free-flow muffler and carb bits, Snorkel had to be removed after chopping away plastic under shield, as the air was coming thru and running straight up the snorkel and pressurising the air box, leaving the bike coughing in 3<SUP>rd</SUP> gear and above at higher revs. Removing snorkel also let more air in, and gave the beast a beautiful induction howl…. The under tank sound deadening… well, it was to give more air area for the air box to suck air from… that and now you can hear the beast roar below you as you crack that throttle open above 7,000rpm!!!

Speedo Derestricted
No longer sits @ 180kmph, goes straight thru to redline in 6<SUP>th</SUP>, stock gearing says that’s 227.5kmph, gets there smoothly and I bet if I was game enough it would carry right thru to the rev limiter @ 15,600rpm – but I show mercy on the beast

Scott Oilier fitted
Well, this just means less to worry about and longer lasting chain/sprockets.

Ergonomics/Suspension
In short, they feel like a 250! Really skinny between the knees and have the most front end biased rider position of the 400’s, the wrists can get a little sore, though despite being 6foot I don’t find it a cramp as such, I really enjoy its riding position and can bare it for 3 hours at a time however stops every hour is always a good idea. NC30 stock suspension is all that is needed, thought the 89 model didn’t have adjustable rebound damping the Showa forks still work well, and 1992 onwards got the better remote reservoir rear shock, however again not a must as the earlier offers the same rebound damping adjustments though only 6 preload settings.

Brakes
What can be said? With twin discs on the front sporting Nissin 4-pot callipers each side, a well bled stock system with your taste of brake pads works a treat, however a set of braided lines will give you a slightly more rigid feel to those brakes which is helpful though not necessary if your pushing your NC hard.
The rear brake you ask? Well to be honest I personally don’t touch it unless its pouring with rain, however in my opinion it does its job fine, 2-pot single side calliper with its only problem being how close it is to the chain with the single side swing arm configuration, with my Scott oilier initially set too high oil wound up all over the rear disc.

In Closing…
It’s been 9 months, and 23,000km… She religiously gets an oil change every 3,000km using only Putoline DX4 (semi synthetic 10/40w oil), gets used every single day of the week, commuting, sport riding, and weekend track days… it gets the lot. The question I ask is why would you want more? It does the lot, really well in my opinion, I cant ride a 600 thru my favourite twisties in the top tenth of its rev range so don’t get the same buzz… these things take the punishment and in return give you the feeling you are your favourite WSBK rider!

Sensei
3rd May 2005, 23:33
Have owned 2 VFR's 1st was a NC21 180 firing, Great bike Exrace bike of
Alan De Lautours Castrol 6 hr winner . Then broUght 1990 NC30 which had been fully restored Excellent machine but had the 360 deg firing which I felt was not as torquey as the 180 deg or as much top end handled very nice for such a light bike . Got about to flighty over 160k . still loved the sound of a V4 ringing its head off :Punk:

sAsLEX
4th May 2005, 12:58
yeah they are pretty cool bikes, mine has had a bit of the KK/Westie touch with the Filter being Foamed and the snorkel and sound proofing removed.

Will hopefully be dressing mine in some fairings soon to take away my rangi bike appearence!

SPORK
4th May 2005, 16:37
Hey, nice write up! Good plan. I want one once I can ride good...

Slipstream
4th May 2005, 16:45
The NC30.

In Closing…
The question I ask is why would you want more? It does the lot, really well in my opinion, I cant ride a 600 thru my favourite twisties in the top tenth of its rev range so don’t get the same buzz… these things take the punishment and in return give you the feeling you are your favourite WSBK rider!

Sooooo...you got 2 of these beasties dontcha?
Are you making a sugestion that you and any KB friend can go for blats round the track togetha :Punk: Now that's what I call NC30 dedicated :niceone:

Two Smoker
4th May 2005, 20:40
Wicked write up Logo!!! I really enjoyed riding your VFR since it had so much more mid range punch than my ZXR400...

Kwaka-Kid
4th May 2005, 23:06
cheers!

SS - watchu on about? thats how it IS.. other ones shades!

and yeah TS, despite lack of carb balancing at present on this beast it does have one of the cleanest midranges of the VFR's ive ridden, though still minor minor murmur around 5,500rpm, almost zero... maybe a little more to-tooing with needles :D

justsomeguy
4th May 2005, 23:20
bloody hell....... now I'm all confused again...... I was dreaming of a ZXR400 as my next bike in 10 months/years/decades/centuries.......
Now seeing that the VFR is more real road suitable than the ZXR I've got to alter my perception again....... :no: :no: :no:

Kwaka-Kid
4th May 2005, 23:50
haha! damn straight boy!

To be honest the VFR is more road suited in the way of midrange power, sounds better:P, softer suspension

yet, has more aggressive riding position/lower bars then ZXR...

and unfortunatley harder to work on then inline 4....

Although 360degree firing order... more traction... Sooo many pros/cons dude :S

Shade
5th May 2005, 11:41
VFR's rock.

Or is that the brainwashed Shade talking? :) :)

All seriousness, they are really awesome bikes. Love the unique sound, and once set up right aka KK's bikes, they ride like they are on rails. They inspire confidence and just want to be cranked over.

Love em!

Good right up brother, my last night of afternoons tonight, so will catch up with you tomorrow aiiiight.

FROSTY
5th May 2005, 11:51
Great write up KK. :Punk:
It was rather Um "interesting' to note that your 400 was definitely not down on power on my zxr at pukie despite mine having some fairly dramatic changes.
It was definitely as fast in a straight line as both the zxr and the SV.
Lets face it the back straight of pukie is all about raw HP and you were not slower than me there.
Now sensei I understand how you can mash ya way down the box with such abandon when I don't dare -MUTTER MUTTER friggin slipper clutch mutter grumble mutter

2_SL0
7th May 2005, 16:25
Excellent write up dude, the bike looks great. :2thumbsup