PDA

View Full Version : Future of off-road sport in UK under threat

Bob
4th May 2005, 00:11
Over 180 off-road events, grass-track racing, trials, enduros and motocross, have been cancelled, thanks to the actions of the Department for Environment, Farming and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) and the EU. And the situation is set to get worse, with around 4,000 off-road motorcycle meetings threatened.

The introduction of the ‘Single Payment Scheme’ (SPS) has seen farmers forced to remove permission for off-road events to be held on their land, under threat of loss of vital government subsidies. DEFRA has told farmers they will not qualify for an EU farm payment if they allow their land to be used for motor sports.

The new farm subsidy scheme is called the Single Payment Scheme (SPS) and replaced the Common Agricultural Policy. The new scheme pays farmers for the land they own and not what they produce.

DEFRA’s actions are causing chaos. In Essex, the Dunmow and District Motorcycle Club had to cancel their annual scramble – which has been held since 1951 – after the landowner pulled out under threat of loss of subsidy. Club secretary Julian Sayer said he learned about the ruling on April 12 but delayed formally informing entrants for 10 days in the hope DEFRA would reverse their plans in that time. He was angry DEFRA officials had not informed anyone directly since the ruling was brought in on March 29.

He said: "It's ridiculous that the farmer had to phone DEFRA to confirm what we had told him. Just as the season is about to start they have dropped a bombshell with these guidance notes. Civil servants have been talking with the motorcycle sports governing body, the Auto Cycle Union, and telling them that the regulations were not supposed to prevent properly organised motorsport taking place on agricultural land. But when DEFRA were told that is exactly what has happened, they have refused to withdraw that clause in the regulations immediately which is something they could easily do overnight if they wanted to."

Dunmow and District Motorcycle Club has two other grass track events planned for June 19 and September 25 at Ugley . It is not yet known whether these will be able to take place.

DEFRA said the system was introduced to support and encourage agriculture. A spokesman said farmers may have to make a decision between the money they get from holding motorsport on their land and any the grants they may be eligible for.

MAG says the solution is simple, DEFRA should revise its guidelines to reflect the European Directive and the department must consult the governing bodies of the sport, the Autocycle Union (ACU), and the Land Access and Recreation Association (LARA), set up to co-ordinate the defense of motor sport and recreation.

MAG Director Of Public Affairs, Trevor Baird, says, “You can support your right to spectate by completing the online petition (http://www.petitiononline.com/som/) voicing your opposition to legislation that threatens the very heart of grassroots motorsport in Britain.”

Motu
4th May 2005, 07:41
Sounds like one of those good ideas that NZ will adopt soon,farmers are lining their pockets with all this motorsports going on.

idb
4th May 2005, 14:12
Can you explain the logic behind this? Why should allowing motorsport on your property be any concern to DEFRA?

Dunmow and District Motorcycle Club has two other grass track events planned for June 19 and September 25 at Ugley .
You mean there's actually a place called Ugley?
I wonder what the residents call themselves?

Ixion
4th May 2005, 14:21

You mean there's actually a place called Ugley?
I wonder what the residents call themselves?

Yes indeed , a charming village in England. Here is a link to the charming Ugley church (http://www.heuchurch.f9.co.uk/ugley.htm)

Ugley is also well known for its very active branch of the Womens' Institute. The Ugley Womens' Institute (No I'm *not* joking)

Storm
4th May 2005, 15:37
So much for it being a free country then. Bastards !!! :angry2: :angry2:

idb
4th May 2005, 16:00
Yes indeed , a charming village in England. Here is a link to the charming Ugley church (http://www.heuchurch.f9.co.uk/ugley.htm)

Ugley is also well known for its very active branch of the Womens' Institute. The Ugley Womens' Institute (No I'm *not* joking)
Leaving aside the potential for intentional puns, I imagine that the local paper has to be very careful with their headlines
"UGLEY TOWN COUNCIL DISCUSSES BUDGET"
"UGLEY FASHIONS ON PARADE"
"LOCAL BAR POPULAR HAUNT FOR UGLEY WOMEN" etc etc
No, it all seems to bizarre to be true.

idb
4th May 2005, 16:00

Leaving aside the potential for intentional puns, I imagine that the local paper has to be very careful with their headlines
"UGLEY FASHIONS ON DISPLAY"
No, it all seems too bizarre to be true.

idb
4th May 2005, 16:07

"UGLEY FASHIONS ON PARADE"
No, it all seems too bizarre to be true.

idb
4th May 2005, 16:17
Oooops!
I was obviously pretty proud of that post.
Sorry about that.

jazbug5
4th May 2005, 16:17
Er.. is it me, or is everyone posting triply at the moment..?
Either that, or someone spiked my tea...

idb
4th May 2005, 18:26
Er.. is it me, or is everyone posting triply at the moment..?
Either that, or someone spiked my tea...
Yeah, sorry about that.
Nothin' was happenin' so I just kept right on clickin' that "Submit Reply" buttn'.

Biff
5th May 2005, 10:00
Can you explain the logic behind this?

I 'guess' it's because British farmers receive enourmous kick backs form the European parliment for growing nothing. That's right - nothing, zilch, zero, niet.

So - if the farmer then makes money by other means on his field, he looses this charitable donation courtesy of European tax payers. This is common practice throughout Europe.

I've a mate back in the UK that rakes in hundreds of thousands of pounds each year by growing nothing and having no livestock on his land whatsoever. He simply has to keep his land in such a state that it could be used for something if needed. Bonkers!

Bob
6th May 2005, 00:05
I 'guess' it's because British farmers receive enourmous kick backs form the European parliment for growing nothing. That's right - nothing, zilch, zero, niet.

So - if the farmer then makes money by other means on his field, he looses this charitable donation courtesy of European tax payers. This is common practice throughout Europe.

I've a mate back in the UK that rakes in hundreds of thousands of pounds each year by growing nothing and having no livestock on his land whatsoever. He simply has to keep his land in such a state that it could be used for something if needed. Bonkers!

Madness, isn't it? The new law encourages farmers to buy up land... and not use it. At least the old subsidies were based on food production - not perfect as it meant overfarming, but better than the replacement law.

idb
6th May 2005, 00:27
Madness, isn't it? The new law encourages farmers to buy up land... and not use it. At least the old subsidies were based on food production - not perfect as it meant overfarming, but better than the replacement law.
Are people buying properties just to collect the subsidies?
Can you make a living from it?

Bob
10th May 2005, 00:42
The Motor Cycle Industry Association (MCIA) has donated £10,000 to a campaign to persuade the Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) to change its new rules for farmland subsidies, which are acting as an effective ban against off-road motorsport.

The European regulation does not prohibit motorsport, but DEFRA has taken a national decision to stop these payments if agricultural land is used, even temporarily, for any form of motorsport.

Coldkiwi
10th May 2005, 13:11
meddling buggers. good to hear the MCIA is picking up its sword for battle!

Bob
18th May 2005, 05:31
DEFRA (The Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) has backed down on the issue of off-road sport and the farmland Single Payment Scheme (SPS) subsidies.

On behalf of the MCI and other motorsport groups, the Land Access and Recreational Association (LARA) had commenced legal action against DEFRA on May 13th. Within a few hours of papers being issued, DEFRA opted to change the SPS rules in line with demands from the industry and motorsport lobby.

Lord Bach, Minister for Sustainable Farming and Food, said: "DEFRA received a number of representations from motor sport interests following the issue of new guidance on 29 March.

"Having considered these, I am happy to announce the publication of updated guidance which now provides for motor sports to take place on up to 28 days during farmers' 10-month eligibility period on land used in support of 2005 Single Payment claims. Guidance for 2006 and beyond will be reviewed in the light of experience of this first year of the Single Payment Scheme."

To everyone that put their name to the petition against the new rules, well done for doing your bit to help.

Motu
18th May 2005, 07:58
Phew! Close shave there.....