PDA

View Full Version : Bucket Newbie

TheMoose
9th January 2010, 09:44
I'm keen to go Bucket Racing (Auckland based so will be Mt Wellington). All my research keeps leading me to an FXR, they are pricey but it gets me out there immediately, no searching and build work to do (I'm not very mechanical). I am therefore leaning towards geting an FXR so that I can get out on the track straight away and start learning some track craft, with a long term goal to building something more interesting. As I am 6ft 4 and around 100 kg I am drawn to the Motocross frames for the height, with a new Loncin 150 motor. Haven't seen any buckets of this config, there would be some suspension work required. I will never be that competitive so from a motor perspective more interested in reliability than outright power.

speedpro
9th January 2010, 09:50
John, the guy that runs the meetings, has a FXR "club bike". If you ask nicely I'm sure he will let you have a ride. It makes all the right noises and goes OK.

Scotty595
9th January 2010, 11:37
John, the guy that runs the meetings, has a FXR "club bike". If you ask nicely I'm sure he will let you have a ride. It makes all the right noises and goes OK.

Yeah head down to mt wellington next meet and have a talk to some of the guys. I did it last meet and got to go out on the club bike. Went well and was good for a first bucket to ride on (cept when you crash it:whistle:)

Still all good though :p

Trudes
9th January 2010, 12:17
Welcome to your new obsession and get ready to kiss all your spare time and money away.... But all in the name of the bestest fun!!!!:D

Kendog
10th January 2010, 04:37
Your description is the same as I wanted to do when I got into buckets just over a year ago, I am also not mechanical and just wanted a reliable bike to race with.
I put a Loncin into a RG250 frame. The engine is great, but was not the best for the frame and I never felt comfortable riding the bike the way it was set up.

Overall I spent the same $ as buying a FXR, and still wanted to spend more money to try change the set up. I was just not happy with the bike so in the end I decided to just get an FXR.
In hindsight I would have been better racing wise to get an FXR to start with, but I am happy with what I did because I have learnt so much mechanically about bikes.

So, if you really just want a bike to race, the FXR is a pretty good choice. There are cheaper options, but unless you are good mechanically the initial cheapness can be a false economy.

jasonu
10th January 2010, 06:45
Go to the next meeting, ride Johns FXR and anytihing else you can get your hands on, 2 stroke and four. Figure what suits you best and find one to buy. Ask around at the race meeting, there is almost always something for sale. Buy a ready built racer. You can never build one yourself for less than what you will pay for a ready built machine. Get the best and most modern bike you can afford. Don't buy a pile of shit, you will never be happy with a dunger and this will cost you lots more in the long run as others have said. Remember to factor in rideing gear into your budget, you won't be allowed to ride without it nor should you.

Buckets4Me
13th January 2010, 17:33
Turn up come down and have a look
if you have gear then there will be a bike some where to ride
may even bring a spare smoker for you to try out (dont buy an fxr get a 2 stroke)

na buy the FXR as they are an easy bike to learn on and get going (also they are the bike to have at the moment)
$2000 is a good budget for a bike (you may not spend that to begin with but you will in the end)
the fxr falls into that catagory with out much work neaded
anything els is cheaper but needs more $ and time work put into it

Buckets4Me
13th January 2010, 17:34
Turn up come down and have a look
if you have gear then there will be a bike some where to ride
may even bring a spare smoker for you to try out (dont buy an fxr get a 2 stroke)

na buy the FXR as they are an easy bike to learn on and get going (also they are the bike to have at the moment)
$2000 is a good budget for a bike (you may not spend that to begin with but you will in the end)
the fxr falls into that catagory with out much work neaded
anything els is cheaper but needs more $ and time work put into it