PDA

View Full Version : Gah and Franz's Taupo Endurance race 2009

NinjaBoy
9th January 2010, 21:07
I had been looking forward to the Taupo Endurance race and had put in a lot of planning and preparation for this event. I was sharing the 3 hour ride with Franz Schuler. Everything was going to plan until the week before when I unexpectedly caught the Flu. Despite my best efforts to rest up it got a lot worse before it got better and I spent the 7 days before the race in bed. However, by Boxing day I had recovered enough to save Franz from doing the race solo, arriving in Taupo, with family in tow, on Saturday afternoon.

Practice
Race day was warm and dry but overcast. The track however was initially very cold and slippery keeping laptimes down but by the second practice we were feeling confident.
We utilised the practice/qualifying sessions to scrub-in the new tyres, do some practise rider changes, practise refuelling and try out Franz’s ‘flashy’ new pit board. There was a small drama with our quick filler but some last minute modifications (involving hammers and banging) by the team quickly solved this.

Franz rode the qualifying sessions putting us 16th on the grid of 32 starters. Happy with our laptimes and qualifying position we had an hour to relax before the race start at 2pm.

Race
All too soon we were being called to the start line for the LeMans style start. After posing for some group photos, I lined up on the pit wall for the start.

A quick flag drop and we sprinted in full leathers to our bikes. Some panicked fumbling with the key and nearly tipping the bike over as I got my leg over, I was off! (the start line)

The first corner was crowded and for the first 2-3 laps I was at sprint race pace reeling in a hard charging Stevie Gregg before settling into a comfortable pace for the remainder of my session.
Nicki was on the pit board and it seemed like a long wait for the 10min mark. For a large part of the session I was mostly riding alone except for passing the occasional back marker half way through the session. Despite this the bike was pulling strongly, no brake fade like last year and the new clutch spec worked a treat. Still recovering from the Flu I was worried about stamina but eventually the board came out to pit and I gladly made the exit to pitlane.

The team were ready and waiting. Everyone knew their job and a flawless rider change and refuel was done. The roar of the engine revs as Franz powered out of the pits (at the pitlane speed limit  ) summed up the buzz of a good pit stop. Combined with the large crowd watching from above the pit garages and the frenzy of activity in pitlane, the buzzing atmosphere was like nothing I had experienced at any other race meet.

After the previous week’s Flu I was shattered from my session and looking forward to a rest before going out for my final ride. Meanwhile Franz was quickly getting into the groove and was maintaining a good consistent pace. He was obviously very confident in the bike’s setup attacking the corners with more speed and putting in more passes.

Soon we were setting up for another rider change and a splash of fuel. Again it was a flawless pit stop and I was able to rejoin the race without pausing for a gap in the field. Feeling more relaxed and energised, I tagged onto the back of another rider and got a good tow for most of the session. Having a pitboard was new for me but it proved invaluable in planning out the session pace and took away the need to think about when to pit. The session was uneventful but groups were beginning to form which luckily did more to maintain my pace than slow me down. None too soon I was signalled to pit.

This pit stop again went like clockwork but the team had pulled me in early as they were worried about the life of the rear tyre. An eager Drew Mair was ready and waiting with a socket in hand but we made the call to keep the same tyre. The time saved proved invaluable and while Franz was beginning to experience sliding, watching him carve up the now noticeably crowded field it didn’t seem to slow him down.

Back in the pits I made the effort to try and catch what the announcer was saying hoping to get a clue as to our position. By chance I managed to hear my name and the 8th position we were in. With only 10 mins left I watched anxiously from the pit wall with Nicki, willing Franz to go just a little faster and make another pass. Finally, although a little earlier than our reckoning, the white flag came out and finally the chequered as we finished in 8th in the field of 28 finishers. Where was the wheelie across the start/finish Franz??

Franz and I are really happy with our final position, especially considering the calibre of the field, but this result could not have been achieved without the team work of our pit crew: John and Malcolm on the fuel can, Dallas for keeping the bike upright during the rider change and Nicki for timekeeping, setting up the pit board and generally keeping the boys in line.

Of course this years racing would not have been possible without the support of my sponsors: Metzeler tyres, Maxima Oils, TripleZee Cycles Dyno tuning and Botany Honda.

A big thanks also goes to Chris Lawrence and Andy Scrivener for running such a well organised event. Bring on next year !!

Pussy
9th January 2010, 21:13
Awesome effort by you and Franz, Gah!
Put me down for pit duties next year! :niceone:

Tony.OK
9th January 2010, 21:46
Great read Gah................congrats to you, Frenchy and team!

Biggles08
10th January 2010, 07:56
Great write up dude!!! It was a blast for sure....I like the way you described the pit changes...like nothing else! I expect this event to become bigger and bigger! Really good riding and congrats on the end results!

Clivoris
10th January 2010, 19:11
Excellent report Mr Ninja. Well done to you all on the result.

Frenchy
10th January 2010, 22:41
WOW mate thats all i can say!! it was a TOTAL blast and i enjoyed shearing it with you! I'd also like to thank John, Malcom, Dallas and Nicki.... THANKS!! they made the pits easy indeed! Gah did a lot of planning and had the bike set up well that made things very easy and enjoyable for me :) one of the biggest highlights of it all for me was just after the race finished and all the riders pulled in to the pits! it was like we had all just one!! there were smiles ever were you looked! Thanks again Gah for letting me share this with you.

Deano
11th January 2010, 08:51
Having not been there myself :( it was great to read your report Gah.

Great result too, well done guys !

ajturbo
11th January 2010, 10:09
so glad i didn't have to watch you from the hospital again!!!!....sorry didn't get to chat.. you were always busy when i walked past...

discodan
11th January 2010, 12:45
Well done you guys, that's an awsome result in a very competitive field :niceone:

wharfy
11th January 2010, 17:34
Good stuff Gah, great read AND result !!

DVS 69
26th January 2010, 08:15
Great fun alright i had a ball watching and helping out, i'll be keen again next year :-)

roadracingoldfart
26th January 2010, 19:27
WOW mate thats all i can say!! it was a TOTAL blast and i enjoyed shearing it with you! I'd also like to thank John, Malcom, Dallas and Nicki.... THANKS!! they made the pits easy indeed! Gah did a lot of planning and had the bike set up well that made things very easy and enjoyable for me :) one of the biggest highlights of it all for me was just after the race finished and all the riders pulled in to the pits! it was like we had all just one!! there were smiles ever were you looked! Thanks again Gah for letting me share this with you.

I agree , the crews all lining the pits clapping and the crowd above clapping made the pit entry quite an emotional time for everybody. I saw a heap of man hugs. It was very clear a few good recalls of the day will be in many riders memories for a long time to come. Well done Gah and Frenchy , the crew looked good and the riding was brilliant for a new pairing of riders.

Paul.

racer40
28th January 2010, 16:13
great read Gah, thanks for the compliments on the meeting. we will have transponders next year to help, and probably let the feildgo to 35, already lots trying to enter. Chris

NinjaBoy
28th January 2010, 21:12
great read Gah, thanks for the compliments on the meeting. we will have transponders next year to help, and probably let the feildgo to 35, already lots trying to enter. Chris

Yes it's definitely the race event I look forward to each year. The use of transponders and a real time TV display will definitely be an improvement. The scheduling of the race on the TRRS practice day was also a good move.

Sounds like I better get organised with my entry soon :)

Mental Trousers
2nd February 2010, 17:40
Good effort lads :niceone:

I think your pit crew needs to go on a diet though. They're nowhere near the fit, healthy benchmark set by your time keeper :bleh:

Pussy
2nd February 2010, 17:44
Good effort lads :niceone:

I think your pit crew needs to go on a diet though. They're nowhere near the fit, healthy benchmark set by your time keeper :bleh:

Fair enough.... next time you're here for a roast.... you are getting a lentil (singular) and a lettuce leaf..... while I tuck in to a dead pigs leg!

Mental Trousers
2nd February 2010, 18:04
Easy big fella, that's getting a bit nasty. After all, cows fart heaps because they're vegetarians and you don't want me letting loose now do ya.

scrivy
2nd February 2010, 19:51
while I tuck in to a dead pigs leg!

er...... hopefully not 2 legs (spread), I know what you Taranakites get up to......... :sick:

Pussy
2nd February 2010, 19:59
er...... hopefully not 2 legs (spread), I know what you Taranakites get up to......... :sick:

You've DEFINITELY been hanging round with sidecar bob for TOOOOO long, scrivy!

DVS 69
3rd February 2010, 09:56
Ahahahahahahahaha ................................... Our bellies are all paid for aye pussy :-) We wont blow away :-)

Pussy
3rd February 2010, 20:26
Ahahahahahahahaha ................................... Our bellies are all paid for aye pussy :-) We wont blow away :-)

We ought to be proud of the fact that we beat anorexia, mate! :niceone:

Frenchy
4th February 2010, 07:37
We ought to be proud of the fact that we beat anorexia, mate! :niceone:

maybe you skinny buggers should do the enduro too then??

DVS 69
4th February 2010, 10:38
Id be keen, we can use your bike pussy ............. Need the xtra cc's to haul our asses. Oh an that would make a great tee shirt. Frenchy i still got your umbrella (its safe an sound) been meaning to drop it off. Maybe ill drop it off tomorrow an have a friday drink with ya ............

Pussy
4th February 2010, 16:37
Id be keen, we can use your bike pussy ............. Need the xtra cc's to haul our asses. Oh an that would make a great tee shirt.

You never know.... could be a plan! :niceone:

Mental Trousers
4th February 2010, 17:12
You never know.... could be a plan! :niceone:

Mate, if you call it Team Lard Arse I'll join haha.