PDA

View Full Version : Fuse keeps blowing...

road king
10th January 2010, 11:24
help!!!!

my horn, indicators and stop light are all on the same fuse. the horn wont work at all, left indicator works fine and right indicator just makes the clicking sound like normal but no light flashes, not even the one on the dash, then after about 3 or 4 clicks, the fuse blows!!!!!

the bike is a 1990 honda vfr750 (RC36)

CookMySock
10th January 2010, 11:33
Ok you most likely have a short to ground in the RHS indicator wiring. It's probably around the indicator itself where the wiring goes through some metal part. The insulation will have rubbed through.

Start at the front indicator, and give the indicator wiring a firm tug and then try another fuse and see if its going now. If that doesn't work, try the same with the rear indicator.

Eventually you will dislodge the fault - showing you what region the problem is. Now leave the indicators running and carefully nudge the wiring look until a spark leaps out at you.. And you will have found the problem.

Don't just ride off after you have dislodged the fault, or else it will strand you in the middle of nowhere.

Good luck.

Steve

bogan
10th January 2010, 11:39
If theres no easily visible damage to wiring as DB suggests (be my first guess too) I got a voltmeter we can prolly use to sort it out, PM me if you want help

road king
10th January 2010, 11:57
Ok you most likely have a short to ground in the RHS indicator wiring. It's probably around the indicator itself where the wiring goes through some metal part. The insulation will have rubbed through.

Start at the front indicator, and give the indicator wiring a firm tug and then try another fuse and see if its going now. If that doesn't work, try the same with the rear indicator.

Eventually you will dislodge the fault - showing you what region the problem is. Now leave the indicators running and carefully nudge the wiring look until a spark leaps out at you.. And you will have found the problem.

Don't just ride off after you have dislodged the fault, or else it will strand you in the middle of nowhere.

Good luck.

Steve

cheers for that steve, indicator fixed, fuse not blowing anymore. horn still not working though :wacko: any ideas? I've traced the wire from the horn to the switch and cant find anything wrong there

zahria
10th January 2010, 11:58
Did the horn stop working at the same time the indicators started playing up?

road king
10th January 2010, 12:07
Did the horn stop working at the same time the indicators started playing up?

yep.......

CookMySock
10th January 2010, 12:13
indicator fixed, fuse not blowing anymore. horn still not working though :wacko: any ideas? I've traced the wire from the horn to the switch and cant find anything wrong thereThat was fast. Well done.

Have you tried the horn with the engine running? If the battery is just a little low the horn won't work at all. They are shitty little bitches like that.

Failing that, check for voltage at the horn and follow it back to the relay or handlebar switch. If it happened at the same time as the indicator fault, it is likely to be related and in the same area.

Steve

gatch
10th January 2010, 19:13
I had a similar problem, indicators, brake light and instrument lights, also the ignition on the nc30 runs on the same circuit. Went on a ride with some of the locals and I blew a stack of fuses. Turned out to be that the signal wire on my rear brake had melted onto the exhaust, so every time I touched the brake, the wire would short and zap, another fuse..

quickbuck
11th January 2010, 19:26
yep.......

To be honest, I find the best way to fault find a horn is to fit another one... They fill up with all manner of gunk!
If none available, test the circuit using a bulb...

road king
11th January 2010, 19:28
To be honest, I find the bast way to fault find a horn is to fit another one... They fill up with all manner of gunk!
If none available, test the circuit using a bulb...

was thinking that, might be a good excuse to get a real loud one!!!

road king
13th January 2010, 12:48
finally got around to checking the horn, disconnected it and hooked up a light, push the button and it went, so try plugging the horn back in and it works again.:brick: i had tried jiggling the wires previously, obviously not hard enough

cheers to all for your help and advice. my bike is in tip top condition once again:Punk:

quickbuck
13th January 2010, 12:58
finally got around to checking the horn, disconnected it and hooked up a light, push the button and it went, so try plugging the horn back in and it works again.:brick: i had tried jiggling the wires previously, obviously not hard enough

cheers to all for your help and advice. my bike is in tip top condition once again:Punk:

Ahhh, the old corrosion under one of the contacts trick.... Disconnect, and reconnet, and what do ya know....

Glad she is all sorted.

CookMySock
13th January 2010, 15:38
Ahhh, the old corrosion under one of the contacts trick.... Disconnect, and reconnet, and what do ya know....Sometimes its the bit inside that just needs a nudge, coz it has this little mechanical vibrator thing that buzzes hardcore falt-out against its little tin-lid thing which makes all the racket. Theres a little pair of contacts that makes it all go, and because of the nature of the thing, those contacts arc and wear out. Usually, there is a screw and locknut adjustment on the outside of the horn, so give this a twiddle while holding your finger on the horn button and tune it for maximum disruption. Or just bang it with the hammer - does the same thing.

Steve