PDA

View Full Version : 54 year old ready for action again (1956 Puch)

neels
10th January 2010, 12:09
My RLA 125 finally has all it's attaching parts reattached :woohoo:

About 22 years ago for reasons long since forgotten I bought this thing for $120.

After a few unsuccessful attempts at getting the thing to run properly and due to a lack of a permanent garage in which to pull it apart it was parked in a shed and more or less forgotten.

It arrived at my garage one day when the owner of the shed in which it was residing was cleaning up to move, and since I actually owned the garage I decided to do something about it.

The thing was basically complete and running (badly), so after a quick test to check that everything still worked I stripped it to a bare frame and started working my way back up from there.

In the process of dismantlement I discovered that the reason it wouldn't run was that the muffler was inserted in the frame wrong, so the only escape for the exhaust was the rust holes in the header pipe. New exhaust header built, muffler inserted correctly and hopefully no more clouds of blue smoke from under the seat ;)

After much cleaning panelbeating and painting, and repairs to the rusty bits of the bodywork, the beast was reassembled. Other than new rings, wheel bearings and cables it consists of original parts except for the gearchange linkage which was worn out and the fuel tap that was missing. A new gear linkage was made from an Anglia throttle linkage, and an adapter and ball valve fitted as a fuel tap until last week when a brand new reproduction one turned up on trademe.

After a few issues with 50 year old electrics like starter button not working, relays shorted to ground, and a couple of voltage regulator issues leading to very bright then blown bulbs and the starter operating as soon as the battery was connected, it now starts and stops when you tell it to, charges it's battery and generally operates as advertised.

It has been out for a couple of test rides, I don't know if the fuel consumption is as advertised at 138mpg but I can confirm that it does it's rated top speed of 45mph.

Finally have the paperwork sorted for a bike with no known rego and no papers etc, so it's off to the vehicle inspection people this week and hopefully road legal again, then do something about the hellishly uncomfortable seats and I'll see you on the road.

neels
10th January 2010, 12:11
Pics as it was when delivered back..

neels
10th January 2010, 12:13
Clean shiny painted frame, camera ate the pictures of the reassembly process, and finally ready to roll.

scumdog
10th January 2010, 12:30
I love it when a project comes together, well done, it looks sharp.

FJRider
10th January 2010, 12:34
Well done ..... Looks good :2thumbsup

XRVrider
10th January 2010, 13:03
Nice work mate, well done. The feeing of saving something from the tip and repairing it with your own hands is pretty special, good on you for not giving up on it.

You gonna keep it and use it?

Edbear
10th January 2010, 13:04
Wot they said! Nice job! Hope you get many compliments whe you take it out!

neels
10th January 2010, 13:47
You gonna keep it and use it?
I didn't keep it for 20 odd years to get rid of it now. :laugh:

There's still a bit of work left to do, need to make new aluminium trims for the footboards, and the paint needs touching up in a few places after the odd bit of damage during reassembly, and from when I knocked the thing over in the garage the other day :doh: It looks good in a photo but it's by no means perfect, but it's near enough for a home garage job.

p.dath
10th January 2010, 13:52
Wow, what an effort! You did a great job.

oldguy
10th January 2010, 14:01
well done mate looks awesome:niceone: 1956 is a good year all the good stuff was made /built then, if I were striped back and rebuilt would i look as good?

Tone165
10th January 2010, 14:11
Good job, There's something special about a bike (or scooter) that you have restored yourself....

Enjoy!

Daffyd
10th January 2010, 14:23
Shit! That brings back memories! My older brother had one of those. He used to pillion me to & from school until he left to go to uni.
Found it was a bit slow for the Invers-Dunedin commute so upgraded to a lo-lite Morry Minor! (Not much faster, but comfier).

Awesome job, BTW.

nudemetalz
10th January 2010, 18:41
well done !!!! Awesome job !!!

toycollector10
20th January 2010, 15:28
Nice work. Now you will need a new project!

Genie
9th November 2010, 06:04
WOW, that is cooler than I'd imagined. Well done, awesome restoration....you must take me out for a pootle should I ever grace your fair town.

e-a-m-o-n
13th November 2010, 15:54
These are wicked bikes! I found one stashed under a house that im working on a few weeks ago, Looks in slightly worse shape than what yours did i think, but am gonna try and nab it off the boss and have a shot at restoration. will let you know how i get on/ask a few questions when i get stuck!

neels
13th November 2010, 17:39
These are wicked bikes! I found one stashed under a house that im working on a few weeks ago, Looks in slightly worse shape than what yours did i think, but am gonna try and nab it off the boss and have a shot at restoration. will let you know how i get on/ask a few questions when i get stuck!
Good luck. Anything you need to know just ask, I've had mine completely in bits except for the engine so should be able to help.