PDA

View Full Version : What have I done this time?

ReigN
11th January 2010, 23:58
Not too sure what I've done but upon going to start it tonight, I went to turn her over with the ignition however died before I could hit the choke. Proceeded to do the same as I normally do clutch, ignition but accidentally flicked/tapped the killswitch(dunno what i exactly did) but in doing that, it killed the headlight and now nothing happens upon going to start it (leaving stuck at my mates now, fuck!) question is have I blown a fuse seeing as the headlight is now not working? Or is it totally seperate to the problem I have? Dont like being stuck anyway and definitely don't wanna leave my bike anywhere that's not my home!!!

So the ignition won't start/turnover so I'm gathering I can't crash start it(made an attempt at that) i'm gathering this is simple but it's late and my brain is not frikkin working either. Tomorrow is another day, back to the limo dammit!

Cheers.

ReigN

birdhandler
12th January 2010, 17:42
all the usual simple stuff
side stand? Main fuse, Kill Switch may be jammed open

CookMySock
12th January 2010, 18:02
Kill switch shouldn't kill the headlight. Sounds like blown fuse. Change fuse, and if that fixes the problem, then try the same combination again and see if you can duplicate the fault. Document exactly what you do and post it here.

Steve

steve_t
12th January 2010, 18:03
+1 Kill switch issue - maybe a short like magicmonkey had http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/116344-Trying-to-work-out-a-previous-owner-s-wiring-(or-my-own-stupidity!)?p=1129598137

quickbuck
12th January 2010, 21:06
Sounds like you have popped your 30amp fuse (near the battery somewhere), but the question remains... Why?
All very well replacing fuses, but they blow for a reason (Usually a short, but always because too much current has gone down the wire), so you have to find that reason, satisfy yourself you have fixed it properly, and then replace the fuse and try again.

As Steve says though, could be a short in the Kill Switch.
These kill the engine by earthing out the live circuit to the frame... Not sure why it killed the headlight though.

motorbyclist
13th January 2010, 00:20
We all have three very simple questions you probably could've (should've) checked before posting:

is the fuse blown? don't ask us we aren't magic; Check the fuses in the fusebox under one of your seats (may be some elsewhere also)

is the bulb blown?

what bike is it? - this might be a common fault, we can't give accurate information without knowing what the bike is, and some of us can give very detailed instructions if we're familiar with the model

there's probably a few good reasons why a fuse might blow under those particular circumstances, depending on the bike's electrics. There should be a spare that would be enough to see you home, but beware if there IS a fault you might only get half way ;)

(oh, and ignition is different from the starter motor)

kwaka_crasher
21st January 2010, 02:01
Not too sure what I've done but upon going to start it tonight, I went to turn her over with the ignition however died before I could hit the choke.

You died before you could "hit the choke"? Fuck, that's a stroke of bad luck.

Hamish Carlson
21st January 2010, 10:51
You died before you could "hit the choke"? Fuck, that's a stroke of bad luck.

+1, hilarious

quickbuck
26th January 2010, 19:32
Not too sure what I've done but upon going to start it tonight, I went to turn her over with the ignition however died before I could hit the choke. Proceeded to do the same as I normally do clutch, ignition but accidentally flicked/tapped the killswitch(dunno what i exactly did) but in doing that, it killed the headlight and now nothing happens upon going to start it (leaving stuck at my mates now, fuck!) question is have I blown a fuse seeing as the headlight is now not working? Or is it totally seperate to the problem I have? Dont like being stuck anyway and definitely don't wanna leave my bike anywhere that's not my home!!!

So the ignition won't start/turnover so I'm gathering I can't crash start it(made an attempt at that) i'm gathering this is simple but it's late and my brain is not frikkin working either. Tomorrow is another day, back to the limo dammit!

Cheers.

ReigN

So, in the words of Oldrider...... Did you ever work out what was wrong?
Would be great to post what you found..... or words to that effect.

ReigN
29th January 2010, 13:56
To all: I think you for even replying to my hasty (and very stupid) post. Yes I have discovered I was a dumbass when I posted this late that night and was just in a hurry for an answer and without simply checking a couple of things the next day, wouldn't have needed to post. Makes it even worse was that I couldn't delete this in time!!! Fuck it, I have thus found that the ignition was poked, and had that replaced so am back on the road again (Took it back to RB as I had 3more days left on my warranty, too bad they replaced it with a 2nd hand unit, just happy to be back on the road). The iginition was correct term as I kept referring to it as the starter (or starter button thingy) all in all, thanks for all the input and I'm sure to check the rest of these before being a whiny, lazy bitch and posting up. Sorry all and thanks again for throwing up the suggestions for problem-solving, have learnt my lesson and will try things before getting ahead of myself, but am happliy back to riding and building up more confidence to sit my restricted hopefully in the next couple of weeks!!!

Cheers again and apologies.

ReigN.

KC - You're a funny carnt lmao ass

quickbuck
29th January 2010, 22:26
No worries really.
The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked... and all...

Glad you got it all working again.

Thanks for the replay.