PDA

View Full Version : Bus lanes / lane splitting

oldfart
4th May 2005, 19:46
Saw an article that appears in the Monday Herald on roading issues around Auckland. This has appeared as a debate in previous threads & I don't know if there was ever a definitive answer given as opposed to plenty of personal opinions.
1/ It is legal for bikes to use bus lanes around the city, but not on the motorways.
2/ It is legal to lane split on all roads as long as the traffic is stationary.

John
4th May 2005, 19:49
Put it this way if the cop wants to then they will ping you for it - there is no solid hard written law for either its bloody pathetic.

Waylander
4th May 2005, 19:53
Just a loophole that they leave for revinue gathering. Funny how they pic on us bikers...:mad: :angry2:

Matt Bleck
4th May 2005, 20:37
Just a loophole that they leave for revinue gathering. Funny how they pic on us bikers...:mad: :angry2:

A cage lane-splitting :eek:

LED
4th May 2005, 23:58
As a head master said years ago............rules are there to be broken.........and then followed up with ...do the crime, do the time............just get amongst it old boy, what are the chances?!!!!!

johnsf1980
5th May 2005, 07:08
Ive always wondered about this when I see bikers driving on the flush median down Tamaki drive.

Is that legal? Id like to do it myself.... it sure beats being stuck in traffic for ages!

bugjuice
5th May 2005, 09:16
do a search and you'll get a squillion threads come up.. from those, try making your own conclusion!!

ManDownUnder
5th May 2005, 11:22
Saw an article that appears in the Monday Herald on roading issues around Auckland. This has appeared as a debate in previous threads & I don't know if there was ever a definitive answer given as opposed to plenty of personal opinions.
1/ It is legal for bikes to use bus lanes around the city, but not on the motorways.
2/ It is legal to lane split on all roads as long as the traffic is stationary.

Answers
1/ yes in the city unless bikes are specifically excluded (i.e. it says buses only)

Yes on the motorways - see previous conditions

2) Strictly speaking no. Being reasonably in own lane is a requirment of the law (spuddy - how is this phrased again?) and passing on the left is a no no

More details stolen from http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=10869
===
Quote:
Bus lanes

Can I cycle in a bus lane?
Yes, you can, unless specifically excluded by signs.

Who has priority – cyclists or buses?
A bus lane is treated as a shared facility, which means no-one has priority – but the law says that neither should impede the other unnecessarily.

Doesn’t letting cyclists use bus lanes endanger them even further?
No, because they are separated from the majority of the traffic and, therefore, are more visible to other motorists.

If buses have to stop in a bus lane to pick up or let off passengers, won’t they be obstructing cyclists when they do so?
Yes. In this case, cyclists can decide whether they want to wait behind the bus, or carefully pass the bus on the right-hand side.

Can motorcycles use bus lanes?
Yes, unless specifically excluded by signs.

How do I know it’s a bus lane?
The words BUS LANE will be marked on the road, indicating the lane is for this purpose.

Can taxis use bus lanes?
No, not unless the local council has specifically created a lane for use by buses and taxis.

Can I use a bus lane on the weekend, when there’s hardly any buses about?
Generally, no. However, in some cases councils may designate lanes as bus lanes during specific time periods (eg peak hours) and other vehicles may be able to use the lane outside these hours. If this is the case, signs will indicate the time period in which the lane operates as a bus lane.
===

I had seom fun with Transit regarding the "Buses Only" not being a specific exclusion to bikes, and likewise a sign that said

Bus Lane, 6:30am - 9:30am, Buses Only (did it mean the 6:30am-9:30 am meant it is not a bus lane outside those hours, did it mean buses only inside those hours, or a combination of the two?))

===
MDU I am sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you on your query regarding bus lane signs.

The Road User Rule defines a bus lane as "means a lane reserved by a marking or sign installed at the start of the lane and at each point at which the lane resumes after an intersection for the use of (a) buses, and (b) cycles and motorcycles (unless either or both are specifically excluded by the sign)."

A Bus Lane sign is in the form of symbol of a bus above the word LANE. When the lane is available only for buses the sign takes the form of a symbol of a bus with the word ONLY. Similarly the road marking used is BUS LANE or BUS ONLY respectively. These signs and markings are defined in the Land Transport Rule: Traffic Control Devices 2004. While it might be argued a bus from which cycles and motorcycles have been excluded might be more explicitly stated (eg BUS LANE, CYCLES AND MOTORCYCLES EXCLUDED) you will be aware of the need to keep signs as simple yet as clear as they can be made. It is considered the BUS ONLY message provides both the simplicity and clarity required.

The lanes in Auckland City are largely Bus Lanes (although I understand there are some small section of lanes which are exclusively for buses). The lanes on the motorways are exclusively for buses during the periods described. At other times these are 'emergency stopping lanes' and may then only be used for the purposes of stopping in an emergency ie not as a normal lane.

The use of the lanes are defined by road controlling authority bylaws and this may include the time they apply and the classes of vehicles to which they apply. The authority is Auckland City Council in the case of Auckland City, and Transit New Zealand for state highways - ie motorways. Once applied the Road User Rules defines road user obligations in regard to their use. Thus unless you are driving a vehicle of the class defines you may not drive along the lane nor may you park and you may only cross them if turning or moving into a car park on the other side of the lane.

I hope this clarifies the situation for you. Once again I apologise for the delay in replying.

R A (Bob) Gibson
Senior Engineer

Clockwork
5th May 2005, 16:23
Passing on the left of another vehicle is permited if you are in another lane OR
the vehicle your are passing is indicating an intention to turn right
OR
the vehicle your are passing is stationary

The regulations are quoted here.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=10838

Re-riding along a flush median. (2.7-b iii) prohibits this.

Gremlin
6th May 2005, 00:03
yep, no overtaking on the median strip.

I had a mate (in a loaner cage) who was sitting on a strip, stupid 4wd comes along and decides to overtake other cars on the median strip. Ran into the back of the car, screwed the car all the way to the B pillar...

Good rule that :niceone: if only it worked...