PDA

View Full Version : Triumph Street Triple vs Honda Super Blackbird - impressions so far

Blackbird
12th January 2010, 16:32
Many KB'ers will have seen the previous post about looking for something to replace my beloved Blackbird. I've now covered just over 2500 km on the Street Triple. It should have been a bigger distance but Jennie's hip replacement in late November meant that I've had other priorities until recently:rolleyes:.

However, even in 2500 km, it's been an interesting (and entertaining) exercise comparing 2 bikes which are so different, both in capacity and functionality.

If you're interested in the comparison, it's here: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/.

Cheers,

Geoff

Hitcher
12th January 2010, 20:04
A most interesting read. I understand much of what you've written having "progressed" from an FJR1300 to a Shiver. I also agree with your assessment of Dunlop Qualifiers.

Headbanger
12th January 2010, 20:54
Very cool.

I was going to write up a 3 week review of my Speed Triple, but when I wrote that on the open road at legal speeds its about as exciting as sitting on a kayak on a trailer behind a transit van I figured I wouldn't bother, especially as the next sentence was about the sweet spot for cruising at 170km/h.....

IdunBrokdItAgin
13th January 2010, 09:18
Very cool.

I was going to write up a 3 week review of my Speed Triple, but when I wrote that on the open road at legal speeds its about as exciting as sitting on a kayak on a trailer behind a transit van I figured I wouldn't bother, especially as the next sentence was about the sweet spot for cruising at 170km/h.....

LMAO - great quick review of the speed.

pritch
15th January 2010, 20:19
Blackbird might be well pleased with this then...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/Bike/Bike-of-the-Year/

Blackbird
15th January 2010, 21:40
Hmmm..... didn't we choose well! Thanks for that!

Jerms
15th January 2010, 22:49
Great read. I really like the look of the Triple but wasn't allowed to spend the money on one for my second ever motorbike...I'm not sure if it would have been a "safe" step up from a 250cc cruiser either! I'm happy with the CBR600F at the moment but am still very keen to try one out in the near future. I may have to start saving now if I enjoy the same "must have one NOW" opinion.

IdunBrokdItAgin
16th January 2010, 14:47
Great read. I really like the look of the Triple but wasn't allowed to spend the money on one for my second ever motorbike...I'm not sure if it would have been a "safe" step up from a 250cc cruiser either! I'm happy with the CBR600F at the moment but am still very keen to try one out in the near future. I may have to start saving now if I enjoy the same "must have one NOW" opinion.

The street is, surprisingly, a really good step up bike. I moved up from a 250 hornet to it. Good handling and a linear torque curve means that it is fairly forgiving and you shouldn't get into too much trouble with it. The hooligan tendencies of the bike tend to appear at the upper revs.

This dual personality is why I think it gets rated so highly - it's easy to live with but still fun when you want it to be.

IdunBrokdItAgin
16th January 2010, 15:07
Many KB'ers will have seen the previous post about looking for something to replace my beloved Blackbird. I've now covered just over 2500 km on the Street Triple. It should have been a bigger distance but Jennie's hip replacement in late November meant that I've had other priorities until recently:rolleyes:.

However, even in 2500 km, it's been an interesting (and entertaining) exercise comparing 2 bikes which are so different, both in capacity and functionality.

If you're interested in the comparison, it's here: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/.

Cheers,

Geoff

Good write up there Blackbird. I fully agree with the part about unloading the back wheel under hard braking. One of the qurks of the bike I have learnt to understand. This must happen a lot more often with the" R"s and their upgraded brakes.

On the reverse though, this is one of things I like best about the street. It just feels like that even under medium throttle the front of the bike raises up slightly making the steering extremely light and quick. It's a bit of a rocking horse when it comes down to it!

Plans wise - I've just ordered a rad guard and stomp grips for it. New sprockets and chain will also be here once the UK thaws out. Stomp grips may help keep the back down slightly under hard braking due to stopping the rider moving forward - I'll let you know once I have tried them out.

As you can probably tell - I'm still enjoying the bike immensely after three months, and see this bike as a long term keeper.