PDA

View Full Version : Speed cameras in Arizona to be scrapped?

miSTa
12th January 2010, 23:11
Came across this interesting little article in a pull-out section of today's Press.

Thaeos
13th January 2010, 02:40
I'm guessing the same doesn't apply here, i.e. ignore a fine in the mail and then you don't have to pay.. Also that's exactly what speed camera's are, just more revenue gathering.

cold comfort
13th January 2010, 05:21
Came across this interesting little article in a pull-out section of today's Press.

Very interesting. Civil disobedience is sadly unknown here in the land of the sheep. The real (unmanipulated) stats are in the public domain in the US so cannot be used as a justification for highway robbery

peasea
13th January 2010, 06:16
I'm guessing the same doesn't apply here, i.e. ignore a fine in the mail and then you don't have to pay.. Also that's exactly what speed camera's are, just more revenue gathering.

I've tried ignoring tickets that arrive in the mail, they just get more expensive. It doesn't work in NZ because they powers that be are hell bent on emptying your wallet and do so with great gusto. It's a pity they don't persue 'real' crim's with the same enthusiasm.

Scuba_Steve
13th January 2010, 07:44
Hell if we could get NZ to start ignoring them & finally a ban on speed traps, we could make NZ a safer place for all motorists, unfortunitly most NZers are too scared of the "powers" to challenge them... The drawback of our "relaxed" nation i guess.

pzkpfw
13th January 2010, 07:51
Bah. Driving down the motorway on Sunday behind a car doing about 100 km/hr. (In a 100 km/hr zone).

Suddenly he sees a camera van and steps on his brakes - down to 90 km/hr.

(Didn't hit him of course, following distance and all that, but did have to "avoid" him.)

That camera van did nothing to add to my safety.

p.dath
13th January 2010, 08:34
I don't think you can claim as a defence that you did not receive a ticket in the mail in NZ. As I understand it, we have some law or precedence that if it was posted to the correct address then it is considered to have been received.

CookMySock
13th January 2010, 09:31
I don't think you can claim as a defence that you did not receive a ticket in the mail in NZ. As I understand it, we have some law or precedence that if it was posted to the correct address then it is considered to have been received.Yup. If the arazonians wanted to write a new law to fix it they would.

Steve

Thaeos
13th January 2010, 16:32
What about other states in the US? I was surprised that they had only recently been introduced to Arizona. I know they are all over the UK, but from what I've read in the US red light cameras are pretty common but general speeding cameras just aren't used.

Swoop
13th January 2010, 19:23
Arizona is a fantastic place! Loads of weirdo's and freaks who are heavily armed.
Brilliant place. :yes:

ManDownUnder
14th January 2010, 08:13
Arizona is a fantastic place! Loads of weirdo's and freaks who are heavily armed.
Brilliant place. :yes:

swap "heavily armed" for "stoned" and you just described Waiheke...

jaykay
15th January 2010, 08:17
I don't think you can claim as a defence that you did not receive a ticket in the mail in NZ. As I understand it, we have some law or precedence that if it was posted to the correct address then it is considered to have been received.

The law is framed in such a way that either no reply or a late reply leads to a Notice of Fine - it is then up to the Ministry of Justice to try and collect it. - and it's this enforcement part that appears to be in a mess, leading to delays that are measured in years rather than months.

If more people were sensible and went about challenging every ticket it could lead to police using discretion and safer roads.

Some years ago I did pay two tickets (mistake). Since then I have worked out how to frustrate the system, and the the police have withdrawn three (two camera, one stopped) - and one I got given for 112k in November 2008 appears to have vanished into a black hole. Friend of mine was stopped on Waitangi Day 2007, (115k), requested a hearing, police said he was too late, Notice of Fine and........total silence.

The system would have to change if enough people argued - look what happened to the television tax.