PDA

View Full Version : Points - CDI conversion

sidwyz
13th January 2010, 11:00
Ok bike is a Honda Gl145

I am currently running points, there is one wire (black / white) from the a/c generator? (according to my workshop maual) to the points, condenser and coil.

I brought some parts from a xr200 I beleive, as in photos below.
I have not got the CDI box as yet,

1: what CDI box would be best? I have been led to beleive there are some with/without a rev limit or different curves.

2: are these some of parts enough to do the job? or would I need a CDI specific coil?

3: so how do I wire all this up? :rolleyes:

Any help muchly appreciated. :clap:

craisin
13th January 2010, 11:17
well i would find a wiring diagram off an xr200 and work it out from there

craisin
13th January 2010, 11:31
Ive bumped a thread in the electrics forum that has heaps of wiring diagrams.

you may have been better to post in the electrics section as there are others that could help

CookMySock
13th January 2010, 15:45
what CDI box would be best?This one.
http://www.sportdevices.com/ignition/ignition.htm

Steve

sidwyz
14th January 2010, 14:05
Ive bumped a thread in the electrics forum that has heaps of wiring diagrams.

Cheers I had a look and think im well sorted on the wiring side now,

Just need to know if I need a CDI specific coil or my old points n condensor coil will do the trick?

Also can I just run it off the same wire from the AC generator as runs the points now?

marsheng
14th January 2010, 15:58
I think the magnetos are also different. The CDI magneto produces about 300 volts for the CDI unit. I don't think the 145 does that. If the 145 will run without the battery it may work. Be careful, but the magnetos all look the same but they are mm different. I know as I have broken the magneto casing when the wrong magneto was fitted.

Use the points as they are easy to adjust.

craisin
29th January 2010, 23:13
yep Im sure you will need the coil that went with the CDI

ive had a few chinese clones and I used a bigger honda coil but it cut out at high revs
so I had to put the original back on

kyle64
18th June 2010, 13:35
Hi re: GL145 CDI conversion I own an 1988 GL145 which I have all ready converted to CDI From an 1982 Honda XL 125 and it works fine i have no rev limit at all! just what carb & exaust gives! You have some of the parts you need but Not all!
I see you are auckland based! if you need my Help Come to Hamilton to PROUDLOCK cycles in frankton Hamilton And i will Give you All the info and parts to Get you started! You can Ring or Text me on 0273681338. Or Email me on kyle02196@yahoo.com Ps the points ac generater & CDI ac generater are different!!!

CookMySock
18th June 2010, 14:38
@Kyle64, Thats a damn fine first post! Welcome to KB. :niceone:

Steve