PDA

View Full Version : Bad Lieutenant: Stranded in Featherston- Can Anyone Help? (URGENT!)

jazbug5
5th May 2005, 20:02
Okay, chaps.

This is worth a try at least.
Just got a call from Bad L. who is driving down towards Welly. Apparently his alternator (?) just crapped out. He is stuck in Featherston.
Is anyone nearby or does anyone know of a good mechanic who won't scalp us for some help...? Thanks people!

James Deuce
5th May 2005, 20:03
Okay, chaps.

This is worth a try at least.
Just got a call from Bad L. who is driving down towards Welly. Apparently his alternator (?) just crapped out. He is stuck in Featherston.
Is anyone nearby or does anyone know of a good mechanic who won't scalp us for some help...? Thanks people!

Give Stew at TSS a yell. He does pick ups.

0-4-569 3989

He may be there. I think he lives in the flat above the shop.

jazbug5
5th May 2005, 20:09
Bugger- just tried it, no reply.
Anyone have an after hours number they can PM me?
TSS are pretty good, usually, no?

Dafe
5th May 2005, 20:19
Awesome - Bad Lieutenant is town? Is he here for the funeral?
I wish I had a pickup or access to one! I take it he doesn't have AA then?

Dafe
5th May 2005, 20:21
If it's anything that can be fixed, I've got a reasonable tool collection and don't mind taking a ride over the hill.

jazbug5
5th May 2005, 20:31
I'm not sure if he'll be doing the funeral or not (particularly at this rate). He won't have his bike down here for another week.
His car battery and/or alternator are the problem. It's not charging properly, and he hasn't got enough juice. Spoke to a mechanic who thought that if a battery could be taken out by the AA (don't think he is a member... ARSE... but that then he'd be okay.
However, he tells me that as it's a Honda, he's fucked. They eat more, apparently. (Cue Honda cracks..)
If it was tools he needed he'd be okay.
The boot's bloody full of them!!!

Thanks Dafe, you're a diamond top geezer for that offer.

jazbug5
5th May 2005, 20:47
*bump*

jazbug5
5th May 2005, 20:57
Okay. Urgent stuff to do.

I wouldn't normally do this, but my number is 04******
If anyone has a brainwave can they call me? Will be awake until about 12.
No wierdo stalker calls, please.

James Deuce
5th May 2005, 21:18
Bugger- just tried it, no reply.
Anyone have an after hours number they can PM me?
TSS are pretty good, usually, no?

I just realised you meant his car. TSS are a bike shop. Sorry

Motu
5th May 2005, 21:25
He can buy a new battery and drive it flat,buy another battery and drive it flat....repeat.Expensive and time consuming.$250 - $300 for the alt repair.

jazbug5
6th May 2005, 00:40
Thanks heaps, guys- but he sorted it out himself in the end with the aid of a hammer. *phew*

Oh, and Jim- I think he actually can do cages too- but don't quote me. I seem to recall being told there's another side to the business related to breakdown pick ups etc, which is why I figgered it was worth a try...

badlieutenant
6th May 2005, 08:51
cheers for the responses people. Just before i gave up and decided Ill just goto sleep in the car I had a thought, "i know" I said to myself, "im a builder so Ill hit it with my hammer". needless to say it worked.
Probably the worst part of the whole evening was watching a couple of bikes leave town on thier back wheels and then hearing them thrash the shit out of them fot the next 3 minutes or so, soooo jealous as it was a nice night for ride.
As for the honda I beleive the brushes are worn. By smaking the pickup point I think it closed the distance just enough for them to work. And I blame WT. He mocked honda electrics and I laughed (only a little) when darrels suzuki died. I shouldnt have laughed :(
My night could have been so much worse, like it was for the driver that rolled thier car on the rima's :(
cheers again people :D

Ixion
6th May 2005, 08:56
cheers for the responses people. Just before i gave up and decided Ill just goto sleep in the car I had a thought, "i know" I said to myself, "im a builder so Ill hit it with my hammer". ..

Said it before. Most important tool in the mechanics tool kit A BLOODY BIG HAMMER. Most important word in the mechanics lexicon - "judicious"

F5 Dave
6th May 2005, 09:34
Any auto electrician shop should be able to match up the brushes. They cost about $4 for my old C20 Van. Pan Pacific on Old Hutt road for example

Motu
6th May 2005, 09:48
I was always a BMC man for years,with the stop start SU fuel pump.On the Morris Minor the passenger would boot the dash to start the pump up again.With one of my Landcrabs you could drive to Wellington without trouble,but around town the pump would stop sitting at the lights....and of course die in the middle of the intersection! A flick of the key got that one going again,you could do it on the move.

But on my Series II Oxford the pump was in the boot,so I kept a piece of 4x2 there and when it stopped someone would get out,open the boot and smack the pump with the 4x2,always a bit of humour at the lights.One day my wife rang and said the car had stopped....jeeez!....''well just smack the pump!'' - 'I've done that,but I broke it and the plastic bit on the end has fallen off!'' Bloody SU pumps,they just weren't built to take the tough life.

badlieutenant
6th May 2005, 10:53
I was always a BMC man for years,with the stop start SU fuel pump.On the Morris Minor the passenger would boot the dash to start the pump up again.With one of my Landcrabs you could drive to Wellington without trouble,but around town the pump would stop sitting at the lights....and of course die in the middle of the intersection! A flick of the key got that one going again,you could do it on the move.

But on my Series II Oxford the pump was in the boot,so I kept a piece of 4x2 there and when it stopped someone would get out,open the boot and smack the pump with the 4x2,always a bit of humour at the lights.One day my wife rang and said the car had stopped....jeeez!....''well just smack the pump!'' - 'I've done that,but I broke it and the plastic bit on the end has fallen off!'' Bloody SU pumps,they just weren't built to take the tough life.
lol no I wasnt that brutal! It is a jappa. I used a hammer and small punch :D Ive replaced the brushes before but I would have thought that they would last more than 100,000kms :(
hondas = poor mans BMW

Hitcher
6th May 2005, 18:23
Impressive toolbox! Amazing how well it took that RF900 to bits.

But what was actually required was an optometrist, rather than a mechanic...

badlieutenant
8th May 2005, 02:03
lucky for the rf I am myopic otherwise the hammer might have had to go have a look :D (no not really, lovely suzuki that)