PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Navman?

blossomsowner
19th January 2010, 18:37
Hi. i am considering getting a navman or equivalent device for the car. But i would like to be able to plug into the bike and use there as well.
Obviously i would want in helmet speakers to hear the damn instructions. wireless.

does anyone know if any of the gps devices available have this capability or any other cunning way of making it work.

bear in mind to keep replies in non-geek speak so i have a chance of understanding.
cheers

steve_t
19th January 2010, 19:01
Search "Zumo" for Garmin Zumo. You'll need a bluetooth headset or speakers of some sort :niceone:

banditrider
20th January 2010, 18:56
Yep, get a Zumo. Then you'll need a bluetooth headset for ya helmet. You will get a car mount as well as a number of bike mounting options in the Zumo box though.

blossomsowner
20th January 2010, 19:06
thanks for that , will try it soon

Phreak
21st January 2010, 03:15
IMO the Zumo is way overpriced! Yeah, sure, it is waterproof... but the display is tiny! You are better off searching TradeMe for something a little more to your liking, as well as a waterproof cover (readily available for the 4.3" display units).

I just bought a 5" unit, fitted it to my H-frame with a custom mount, wrapped it in a custom made waterproof cover, now I'm saving my pennies for a Nolan N103 helmet with Bluetooth speakers. Several reviews claim they are the best on the market - pricey though...

Trust me, this way may seem like more effort, but you'll end up spending less than you would on a Zumo.

Just my opinion though!

LBD
21st January 2010, 05:26
Any one have any blue tooth speakers that can be fitted to a helmet that they would recomend?

banditrider
21st January 2010, 06:18
IMO the Zumo is way overpriced! Yeah, sure, it is waterproof... but the display is tiny! You are better off searching TradeMe for something a little more to your liking, as well as a waterproof cover (readily available for the 4.3" display units).

I reckon the display size is about right - it's only there for directions not watch a movie. Also, although the Zumo is expensive you get a lot in the box that you won't get with a cheapie - all the mounting options for a start, and you don't need that cover. Then there's Mapsource which is damn handy. A mate went the cheap way but couldn't read his screen under the waterproof cover - went out and bought a Zumo...But if you're on a budget, go for it...

Any one have any blue tooth speakers that can be fitted to a helmet that they would recomend?

When you find some (and they've got a decent battery life) let me know...

pritch
21st January 2010, 06:25
Can't recommend it yet, but Santa delivered a Parrot SK4000 and I'm still in the process of setting it up. At the moment I need more volume so as to be able to hear the instructions clearly.
Haven't had time to play since I went back to work...

NZsarge
21st January 2010, 06:49
I've been wondering along the lines of a Garmin Zumo 550 OR the Nuvi 500 which is also waterproof but does'nt come with the required motorcycle mounting hardware, at $500ish it's shitloads cheaper the the Zumo 550 but it does'nt have bluetooth, I think I can live without it and save $600 odd dollars...

BoristheBiter
21st January 2010, 07:45
I've been wondering along the lines of a Garmin Zumo 550 OR the Nuvi 500 which is also waterproof but does'nt come with the required motorcycle mounting hardware, at $500ish it's shitloads cheaper the the Zumo 550 but it does'nt have bluetooth, I think I can live without it and save $600 odd dollars...

I have the Nuvi 500 and have no proplems at all. i just put it in my tank bag, but you can get custom mounts from Ram solutions.
never worried about bluetooth as you just look at the screen and with it turned up i can hear it over the bike (at low speed) and the battery life is around 4 hrs at full spec and about 8 at low power so no need to plug it into the bike.
the reson i went Garmin is because of the abiltiy to take it everywhere and still have the correct maps (cheap at Garmin), although the directions need a bit of work (sent me down the new bus lane).

NZsarge
21st January 2010, 07:54
I have the Nuvi 500 and have no proplems at all.

Good to hear, cheers.

DEVVIL
21st January 2010, 07:59

The Nuvi 500 works well for me no blue tooth but the car mount attachés to my screen (with a safety wire)
Just need to sort out the power for the grand challenge 1600ks 24hrs.back roads
The power seems to run long enough for most rides
You can get bike mounts off ebay not to expensive but I prefer the have mine upfront between roan and dials
I think I would shit my pants if I was ridding along and some chick started to talk to me out of nowhere (blue tooth n103)
All you need to know is how far to the next turn.
Good luck.

NZsarge
21st January 2010, 09:16
The Nuvi 500 works well for me no blue tooth but the car mount attachés to my screen (with a safety wire)
All you need to know is how far to the next turn.
Good luck.

Yeah the only issue will be the mounting of it, must be able to sort something out eh...

DEVVIL
21st January 2010, 10:20
Yeah the only issue will be the mounting of it, must be able to sort something out eh...

Have seen some small givi type bags that have a clear screen ideal for cell gps $30 -$50 at motomail (straps to handle bars)
Have seen a tread on here of a guy who made a disk that bolted to the steering head and the gps stuck to that
If you find a good way of mounting it please post it as alot of riders have same issue
Thanks Andrew

BoristheBiter
21st January 2010, 10:33
Have seen some small givi type bags that have a clear screen ideal for cell gps $30 -$50 at motomail (straps to handle bars)
Have seen a tread on here of a guy who made a disk that bolted to the steering head and the gps stuck to that
If you find a good way of mounting it please post it as alot of riders have same issue
Thanks Andrew

http://www.ramsolutions.co.nz/
these guys seem to have all the bits to fit anywhere on the bike.

slofox
21st January 2010, 11:08

I use a Blueant Interphone - not the latest model, the mono version. Works OK but there are very few GPS units that will connect with it. It seems to do phones only but I am led to believe the Zumo will speak to it...

banditrider
21st January 2010, 18:46
Not an expert on bluetooth but apparently the trick with the zumo is to pair the phone to the gps and then the gps to the headset.

Re cheaper units vs the Zumo: just remember the price of the zumo includes all the mounting stuff (although I bought a stem mount from ram solutions as well) whereas you're going to have to but this. You still may come out better off but I'd be thinking Zumo 550's should be getting cheaper with the launch of the 660...

BoristheBiter
21st January 2010, 20:23
Not an expert on bluetooth but apparently the trick with the zumo is to pair the phone to the gps and then the gps to the headset.

Re cheaper units vs the Zumo: just remember the price of the zumo includes all the mounting stuff (although I bought a stem mount from ram solutions as well) whereas you're going to have to but this. You still may come out better off but I'd be thinking Zumo 550's should be getting cheaper with the launch of the 660...

never really looked at the Zumo because of the small screen and i wanted something i could use in the car aswell, didn't look at the blue tooth thing ether.
if it wasn't for wanting it waterproof i would have got the new series navman.

DEVVIL
1st February 2010, 20:47
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-garmin-nuvi-500-series-cradle-ram-hol-ga32u-videos.html?youtube=q79P4fcVGBk

DEVVIL
1st February 2010, 20:59
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-cradle-plate-motorcycle-mount-bolt-ram-b-174u-videos.html?youtube=9xVN6oYECYo

DEVVIL
1st February 2010, 21:11
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-cradle-plate-motorcycle-mount-bolt-ram-b-174u-videos.html?youtube=TdMtjnG5KUk

Blossom
14th June 2010, 16:44
I have the Nuvi 500 and have no proplems at all. i just put it in my tank bag, but you can get custom mounts from Ram solutions.
never worried about bluetooth as you just look at the screen and with it turned up i can hear it over the bike (at low speed) and the battery life is around 4 hrs at full spec and about 8 at low power so no need to plug it into the bike.
the reson i went Garmin is because of the abiltiy to take it everywhere and still have the correct maps (cheap at Garmin), although the directions need a bit of work (sent me down the new bus lane).

Thanks to you all for your replys by the way.. Blossomsowner and I are still looking for a gps to suit us. The thing he didn't mention and I realise now should have is that I am hearing impaired and cannot hear the speaker on any gps tried thus far. Ergo has to be able to hook into a wireless headset. I really dont care about the size of the screen to be honest. and am nearly pulling my hair out trying to get information about bluetooth capabilitys from the suppliers of Navman, tomtom or any of the generic brands. Which I note noone has recommended.
So still looking. and wondering if I am the only human who wants to be able to hear a gps unit. lol

slofox
14th June 2010, 17:42
Thanks to you all for your replys by the way.. Blossomsowner and I are still looking for a gps to suit us. The thing he didn't mention and I realise now should have is that I am hearing impaired and cannot hear the speaker on any gps tried thus far. Ergo has to be able to hook into a wireless headset. I really dont care about the size of the screen to be honest. and am nearly pulling my hair out trying to get information about bluetooth capabilitys from the suppliers of Navman, tomtom or any of the generic brands. Which I note noone has recommended.
So still looking. and wondering if I am the only human who wants to be able to hear a gps unit. lol

I had a similar problem getting information about blue tooth connectivity - nobody knew diddly squat.

You might look at the new(ish) Strike Genius. Evidently a bike oriented GPS unit. Plenty of info on the net if you goggle it...

BoristheBiter
14th June 2010, 17:53

If thats the case i would go for the new Navman.

Blossom
15th June 2010, 15:36
If thats the case i would go for the new Navman.

new Navman. and which model exactly would this be. I just spoke to Navman on the phone and they said they didn't do one that could pair up with a wireless headset. Only bluetooth via phone, which is for phone calls, not the gps instructions?
However.. I have been told TomTom Rider might be a go. So looking into that atm. will also look into the stricke genius too thanks slofox

BoristheBiter
15th June 2010, 15:51
new Navman. and which model exactly would this be. I just spoke to Navman on the phone and they said they didn't do one that could pair up with a wireless headset. Only bluetooth via phone, which is for phone calls, not the gps instructions?
However.. I have been told TomTom Rider might be a go. So looking into that atm. will also look into the stricke genius too thanks slofox

Ok Sorry, I thought it had a bluetooth sender aswell. didn't know it was only a reciver.

Although in saying that after a few months i turned the sound off.

geoffm
23rd June 2010, 20:59
I reckon the display size is about right - it's only there for directions not watch a movie. Also, although the Zumo is expensive you get a lot in the box that you won't get with a cheapie - all the mounting options for a start, and you don't need that cover. Then there's Mapsource which is damn handy. A mate went the cheap way but couldn't read his screen under the waterproof cover - went out and bought a Zumo...But if you're on a budget, go for it...

When you find some (and they've got a decent battery life) let me know...

You know Mpsource is free? Go to the open source NZ maps site (free maps, updated every fortnight) - the main reason to buy a Garmin. have a look at:
http://gwprojects.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4844&highlight=#4844
http://nzopengps.org/
http://gpsunderground.com/forums/
for all sorts of goodies

glyder
25th June 2010, 15:08
As for the bluetooth, i was looking round for one and found this one to be the best (ran out of cash and did not get it lol)
PARROT SK4000
Bluetooth hands-free kit for motorbikes and scooters

http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/motorcycle-kits/parrot-sk4000