PDA

View Full Version : How do I change my registration to Jan-Mar?

McTavish
21st January 2010, 09:46
With the ACC charges going up I can only afford to register my VFR for 3 months each year......and I want these to be January to March. Currently the registration expires at the end of January. If I put it on hold for a year, can I then re-register say next December to cover the period Jan-Mar 2011?

I have asked LTNZ, but they didn't answer the question......and for some unknown reason they put my registration on hold for 6 months. I don't feel like trying to get sense out of them, as I suspect they don't understand English!

Perhaps someone knows the answer?

MyGSXF
21st January 2010, 09:53
Fill out an MR27 "Application to change expiry date" On this form you can register a vehicle for up to 15 months from date of application!! I licenced my car yesterday for 6 months with this form, then will go in at the end of June just before fees are set to rise.. & register it for 15 months.. at the old rego prices, thus getting another 6 months rego at the old price! ;)

bogan
21st January 2010, 10:06
yeh thats doable, i just did the same with a car

centaurus
21st January 2010, 10:26
You can put the rego on hold for a minimum of 3 months at a time. You don't need to put it on hold for 6 months or a whole year.

McTavish
21st January 2010, 17:58
Thanks for that! I will do as you say.

jaykay
25th January 2010, 07:59
It's easiest to always put registration on hold for a year, back rego only becomes payable if the same registered owner tries to buy more rego within three months of it expiring.

If you do feel compelled to buy more rego within the three months, transfer the registered owner into someone else's name - and there is no backdating.

Guzza Bugger
8th March 2010, 15:43
With the ACC charges going up I can only afford to register my VFR for 3 months each year......and I want these to be January to March. Currently the registration expires at the end of January. If I put it on hold for a year, can I then re-register say next December to cover the period Jan-Mar 2011?

I have asked LTNZ, but they didn't answer the question......and for some unknown reason they put my registration on hold for 6 months. I don't feel like trying to get sense out of them, as I suspect they don't understand English!

Perhaps someone knows the answer?

Changing Rego.
Put your bike on hold as isby LTNZA,then get another rego sticker with a later date for expiry,off another vehicle ,cut this so as to match up with your original,about halfway bottom of the diagonal,match up then put togehter the two halves.
Leave on hold for three months then you can register when you like ,I have done this and been looked at by the law whos eyesite not to good.
However you are breaking the law and would cost you $150,if caught..
Well worth the risk I say,however keep up the warrent as without this would be another $150 if caught.
Happy Riding::shifty:

DougieNZ
9th March 2010, 10:49
I'll bet some decent money you DIDN'T talk to LTNZ or LTNZA...

peasea
10th March 2010, 18:22
Changing Rego.
Put your bike on hold as isby LTNZA,then get another rego sticker with a later date for expiry,off another vehicle ,cut this so as to match up with your original,about halfway bottom of the diagonal,match up then put togehter the two halves.
Leave on hold for three months then you can register when you like ,I have done this and been looked at by the law whos eyesite not to good.
However you are breaking the law and would cost you $150,if caught..
Well worth the risk I say,however keep up the warrent as without this would be another $150 if caught.
Happy Riding::shifty:

Only works if they don't get on the blower. Expired rego is usually sussed out before they even stop you. However, your suggestion to take a chance has my full support. I think though that a fine for an expired WOF is $200, not $150 and I would also support running a current WOF coz safety is paramount, paperwork just sucks.