PDA

View Full Version : RG150 Regulator Rectifier

Hoggy
21st January 2010, 19:47
Hi my regulator rectifier has died I've all ready replaced this onces does anyone out there know of someone or some way of making these up. There's a place in the states but I was hoping for closer to home.

hmmmnz
22nd January 2010, 15:13
you can use any 3 phase reg/rec from any other bike, there is no need to use one from a rg150,
if you don't want to have the trouble again, then buy a mosfet type reg, they are more expensive, but you'll never have another one pop,
you can find FH010 from the new kawasakis and the fh080 on the newer hondas and yamahas

basically if the reg number starts with fh then its a mosfet type, and not the old scr dump type,

if you are desperate for a rg150 reg i think i have one in my spares box

CookMySock
22nd January 2010, 17:08
Do these newer MOSFET reg/rect work quite differently than the old shunt types?

Steve

hmmmnz
23rd January 2010, 08:19
yeah completely differently, they don't dump excess electricity as heat, thus they don't get hot themselves and don't burn out :D
plus there output is a smoother dc as well :D so the battery doesnt have to act as a partial rectifier,
hopefully you'd get better battery life from that... but im not sure, i can only assume

CookMySock
23rd January 2010, 10:22
So are they are switching regulator or something? I can't find any reading material except the old SCR types. I can't see why they couldn't be switched-mode - it's only 80V or so. The largest part would be the inductor.

The SCR reg actually shorts the winding completely, forcing it to dissapate all its output as heat in the winding itself. A rather brutal approach I would say, but it seems to have worked all this time bar the burned out stators we hear about all the time. The only voltage dropped across the regulator is the short-circuit voltage (probably quite small) or the resistance presented to the load during the time that its' resistance is decaying during the switch-down time (no device can switch in no time at all.)

Steve

hmmmnz
23rd January 2010, 17:17
http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%20FH012AA%20Regulator%20upgrade%20kit.h tm

CookMySock
23rd January 2010, 17:32
http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%20FH012AA%20Regulator%20upgrade%20kit.h tmLook at the circuit diagram - this is still a shunt regulator, just like the old style. The reason why it is so low-heat, will be the fast switching time and the low on-resistance of the MOSFET in comparison to the SCR. Other than that, its still the same old technology.

I wonder why there's no modern switching regulator.

Steve

TripleZee Dyno
23rd January 2010, 19:22
Look at the circuit diagram - this is still a shunt regulator, just like the old style. The reason why it is so low-heat, will be the fast switching time and the low on-resistance of the MOSFET in comparison to the SCR. Other than that, its still the same old technology.

I wonder why there's no modern switching regulator.

Steve
Actually a series regulator. Theyreplace the diodes with mosfets. The diodes are what get hot in the normal cirrcuit eg 20 A @ 1.5v is 30w whereas the mosfet at 20a is only abot 5 w. In this particular circuit they have only replaced one half of each diode pair so the regulator would still dissapate around 15w at 20A. They work well though. cheers