PDA

View Full Version : Jan 5th 2010

Maha
22nd January 2010, 13:47
Thats the day I had my very last cigarette.
I spent most of the day prior reading the Allen Carr book 'Easy Way To Stop Smoking'

One thing I did find weird was, I lit a smoke while reading the book on day two (he says to keep smoking while reading the book) but only had three drags on it and stubbed it out. Then couldn't sit next to the ashtray because it smelled disgusting. I wont credit the book with the absolute reason that I stopped, but will say, I am sure it helped. I was never a huge smoker anyway and had stopped 20 years ago for six years.

So two and a bit weeks down the track and I feel fine, no drama at all about wanting a smoke. In fact, there is still the best part of a two full packets here in the house, which I intend to give away.

Thanks to SARGE for sending the book up, I know it has helped others to give smoking away, even my lovely wife, who stopped smoking the day before I did...

Mark.

FlangMasterJ
22nd January 2010, 14:25
Congratulations. Feeling better?

Fatt Max
22nd January 2010, 14:25
Good onya mate,

I gave up in 2004 after smoking for 20 years. It aint easy but stick with it mate.

The most amazing thing I experienced was after giving up for 4 weeks or so, me and Mrs Max went for a curry. Well, the old taste buds had returned and it tasted fecking great, much better than before.

I also found hangovers were less severe and I stopped getting daily headaches. The money side is a given, all that extra cash to spend on pies.

I never knock smokers for being smokers as I remember how much enjoyment I used to get out of it, but I am certainly happier and healthier for giving it away. Put it like this, my Trailwalk team did a 42km walk 2 weeks ago and we are doing a 50km walk on Sunday, no way that would happen if I was still on the tabs.

As for weight control, wouldnt know, have always been a fat bastard.....

So me old trout n toolbox, good the fuck on you and the missus for giving up. Just keep telling yourself you are a non smoker cos that is what you are now.

Oh, and dont bother with those nicotene patches by the way, they are fucking hard to light.

Nice one

Mikkel
22nd January 2010, 14:52
Thats the day I had my very last cigarette.
I spent most of the day prior reading the Allen Carr book 'Easy Way To Stop Smoking'

One thing I did find weird was, I lit a smoke while reading the book on day two (he says to keep smoking while reading the book) but only had three drags on it and stubbed it out. Then couldn't sit next to the ashtray because it smelled disgusting. I wont credit the book with the absolute reason that I stopped, but will say, I am sure it helped. I was never a huge smoker anyway and had stopped 20 years ago for six years.

Good on ya! :2thumbsup

In fact, there is still the best part of a two full packets here in the house, which I intend to give away.

Just chuck them out mate... :yes:

-df-
22nd January 2010, 15:05
Well done!

I've just given up last week myself...after trying many times cold turkey I finally rang the quiteline and got some patches and gum...so far has made it so much easier, I just wish I had tried patches before.

Still feel like one every once in a while (like when I leave work, or after a big meal), but the patches seem to remove the craving for a ciggy, which I find the hard part to ignore.

Maha
22nd January 2010, 15:11
What a watse of money throwing them out Mikkel, that would be like giving up drinking at tipping the Appletons down the drain, na I would rather the cigarettes I dont need/want anymore go to someone who could use them.

As Fatt Max pointed out...I am a non smoker, I dont look or think differently about those who do smoke. I once smoked but not anymore.
There are some parts of the Book that I dont agree with but would suggest to anyone who wants to be a non smoker to read it.

No I cant say that I feel any better, the coughing has gone so thats a plus, and so has the nicotine addiction, thats a plus plus!

Maha
22nd January 2010, 15:18
Well done!

I've just given up last week myself...after trying many times cold turkey I finally rang the quiteline and got some patches and gum...so far has made it so much easier, I just wish I had tried patches before.

Still feel like one every once in a while (like when I leave work, or after a big meal), but the patches seem to remove the craving for a ciggy, which I find the hard part to ignore.

Good on you and all the best with the patches.
Now im no expert on the subject, but it has been said that giving up using patches is not the best way, you are still suppyling your body with nicotine which is what you need to stop doing.

Yip I also''think'' of a smoke when I would normally have had one, but my mind says no, and I dont have one or feel like one.
Its a weird feeling, well it was at first not now.

Gubb
22nd January 2010, 15:23
10 points to you Maha.

Mom
22nd January 2010, 15:30
I have been frankly amazed at how easy it has been to stop smoking. No cravings, no real withdrawal, and unbelievably I have actually lost weight since I smoked my last smoke. There is no good time to do it, I stopped just before returning to work to what I knew was going to be a very stressful time, handled it no worries. I am carrying an injury that prevents me from getting around properly and is very frustrating to boot and that has not made me feel like starting to smoke again. Infact I can not think of one single thing that would convince me to start smoking.

I was a 25+ a day smoker who had smoked for 35 years and I stopped. Benefits so far, I dont cough. I dont snore. I had a weird metallic taste in my mouth for the first couple of weeks but that has gone.

Tink
22nd January 2010, 15:34
I have been frankly amazed at how easy it has been to stop smoking. No cravings, no real withdrawal, and unbelievably I have actually lost weight since I smoked my last smoke. There is no good time to do it, I stopped just before returning to work to what I knew was going to be a very stressful time, handled it no worries. I am carrying an injury that prevents me from getting around properly and is very frustrating to boot and that has not made me feel like starting to smoke again. Infact I can not think of one single thing that would convince me to start smoking.

I was a 25+ a day smoker who had smoked for 35 years and I stopped. Benefits so far, I dont cough. I dont snore. I had a weird metallic taste in my mouth for the first couple of weeks but that has gone.

Mom you just made my day reading that.... ! Proud of you... shucks

rachprice
22nd January 2010, 15:45
Good on you and all the best with the patches.
Now im no expert on the subject, but it has been said that giving up using patches is not the best way, you are still suppyling your body with nicotine which is what you need to stop doing.

Yip I also''think'' of a smoke when I would normally have had one, but my mind says no, and I dont have one or feel like one.
Its a weird feeling, well it was at first not now.

I think it depends on the person, some people do better cold turkey, others need to wean themselves off it....everyone is different!

Maha
22nd January 2010, 16:25
I think it depends on the person, some people do better cold turkey, others need to wean themselves off it....everyone is different!

Agreed, my first crack at it was 'cold turkey'....I gave up the day my first daughter was born.
It was real easy from what I remember, two weeks later I went to a Public Bar for a jug of beer knowing that the Bar would be full of smoke.
Didn't bother me.

This time round, I slowed down over two days. There has not been a craving, theres been a thought, but no craving for Nicotine.
What works for some wont work for others, I get that.

Fatt Max
22nd January 2010, 16:45

Blardy good onya mate, great effort....

Hey, it is a hard habit to kick but that's all it is now, a habit.

Keep it up, proud of you guys

Tell you what, I'll cook you one of my special curries to celebrate in a few weeks, then you will know what your taste buds are for (as well as your botty I suppose)

Respect

Mom
22nd January 2010, 16:56
Tell you what, I'll cook you one of my special curries to celebrate in a few weeks, then you will know what your taste buds are for (as well as your botty I suppose)

Respect

See now, I have a bit of a fondness for the hot stuff, though I have to say curries are friggen hard to recover from. I made a chilli chicken dish one night with a bit of help from a friend. Somehow we worked out that 5 teaspoons of dry chilli equalled one fresh one. Wine played no part in this mathmatical genius either for the record *fingers crossed behind back as I type* . So the recipie called for 5 fresh chiilies, we like it hot, you do the maths! 25 teaspoons of dry, crushed chillies! OMG! :gob: I was stirring the wok, cooking the chicken and my eyes were watering, my nose was running! Holey sheeit! That is when I wondered if the maths might be wrong :pinch: We ate it!

Headbanger
22nd January 2010, 17:19
Been three or four years since I decided to stop smoking, Cold turkey after 17 years of 25 winnie reds a day, Found it easy, Being a lazy bastard I'm good at not doing things.

Funny enough I feel no different, food has always tasted like food. Ive always been fat, Never made me cough. Though hangovers are much easier without 2 packs of cancer in my lungs.

boomer
22nd January 2010, 18:07
well done both.. :clap:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/32315-Bruce-Boomer-caught-smoking?highlight=%2Bboomer+smoking

Alan carr http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/60962-I-smoked-my-last-cigarette?p=1295019#post1295019 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/60962-I-smoked-my-last-cigarette?p=1295019#post1295019)

Genie
22nd January 2010, 18:29
weeeeeheeeeee,

How absolutely super!!!

I read his book at the beginning of last year, had three attempts to stop last year and think...actually know, that the third time worked. So much of what he says makes sense. Once I crossed over to 2010 as a non-smoking I had this feeling of really being a non-smoker.

Well done both of you. You shall both smell nicer, your hands will smell nicer.

A wee word of warning, be careful when you dinrk, you get drunk so much faster. Can't quite understand it but you do. Three of us down here have all stopped and we all get pissed a lot quicker. Bit nasty really.

Oh be so proud of yourselves, I just hit the two month mark yesterday, got my bike, what an awesome reward.

Pussy
22nd January 2010, 18:41
After reading this, I've got this urge to whip outside for a durry..... back soon!

Kiwi Graham
22nd January 2010, 19:07
Good on ya you two for giving up. Did it myself 21 years ago and havent looked back.
Re the mathermatical error and the curry.............pop a toilet role in the fridge next time......................you will thank me one day. ;)

Mikkel
22nd January 2010, 22:05
What a watse of money throwing them out Mikkel, that would be like giving up drinking at tipping the Appletons down the drain, na I would rather the cigarettes I dont need/want anymore go to someone who could use them.

The real waste of money was buying them, I'd say. ;) (And a fair comparison would be to pour out a rack of lion red or whatever, Appleton's Estate is more akin to a nice cuban cigar... :yes:)

Don't get me wrong... but, if I stopped drinking alcohol I'd probably dump the stockpile into the drain rather than poison someone else with it. But then again, that'll never happen... I think :scratch:

Anyway, just make sure you give those ciggies to some beginner who hasn't developed any tolerance to nicotine. At least then someone's going to get a woozie out of them!

Mikkel
22nd January 2010, 22:05

The real waste of money was buying them, I'd say. ;) (And a fair comparison would be to pour out a rack of lion red or whatever, Appleton's Estate is more akin to a nice cuban cigar... :yes:)

Don't get me wrong... but, if I stopped drinking alcohol I'd probably dump the stockpile into the drain rather than poison someone else with it. But then again, that'll never happen... I think :scratch:

Anyway, just make sure you give those ciggies to some beginner who hasn't developed any tolerance to nicotine. At least then someone's going to get a woozie out of them!

Katman
22nd January 2010, 22:34
I had a weird metallic taste in my mouth for the first couple of weeks.

Thanks Anne, but we don't really need to know what you two get up to in the bedroom now that you both have to find other things to do with your hands.

Skyryder
23rd January 2010, 17:19
Always good to see someone get off the ciggies. Trick is to stay off. Many go back after they have 'kicked ' the habit. Often wondered why this is. All that hard work for nothing. I tend to call myself an ex smoker as against a non smoker................on the basis that once a smoker always a smoker.

Skyryder

Laava
23rd January 2010, 17:27
Well done! I struggled with it big time so fully appreciate how hard it can be!

Maha
23rd January 2010, 17:33

Well Al, I passed on the two left over packets this morning, there was a chick there smoking, it smelled pretty good to be honest but, I didnt feel like a smoke, not at all.
At Auckland airport this afternoon, smokers outside, yeah then it smelled like shit.
Thats the way it goes really, sometimes the smoke drift smells ok, somethime not, but I never feel the urge to light up....weird.

Headbanger
23rd January 2010, 17:46
I tend to call myself an ex smoker as against a non smoker................on the basis that once a smoker always a smoker.
Skyryder

I consider myself a smoker who has made the decision not to smoke, Its been a number of years and I still get cravings, though nothing strong.

If I started to smoke again it would be due to the fact I'm a smoker who has decided to smoke. I don't like to try and put down life decisions to weakness, rather stupidity. I have little time for people who claim they were too weak to stop themselves from doing something, Its a cop out.

Mom
23rd January 2010, 18:07
Always good to see someone get off the ciggies. Trick is to stay off. Many go back after they have 'kicked ' the habit. Often wondered why this is. All that hard work for nothing. I tend to call myself an ex smoker as against a non smoker................on the basis that once a smoker always a smoker.
Skyryder

Early days for me to be a wank non-smoker but...

Stopping smoking has simply been the easiest thing I have ever done. I am not an ex smoker at all, I used to smoke, now I dont and I cant for the life of me imagine what would convince me to start smoking again.

Thanks Al, I imagined all sorts of horrible things, have failed several times attempting to give the weed away. Talked to a friend last year that told me about this book. He was so sincere and so positive about how easy it was to do it really planted the seed. Thanks Boomer. A thread came up on here last year about not smoking and SARGE offered up the book, I accepted and he sent it to me. It has languished on the bench for a few months. Then I read it. I have not given anything up at all, I simply made the decision to not smoke.

I consider myself a smoker who has made the decision not to smoke, Its been a number of years and I still get cravings, though nothing strong.

If I started to smoke again it would be due to the fact I'm a smoker who has decided to smoke. I don't like to try and put down life decisions to weakness, rather stupidity. I have little time for people who claim they were too weak to stop themselves from doing something, Its a cop out.

What a liberating thing to be a non smoker though. We went out today, looking like 3 or 4 hours out of the house, I hobbled down to the car and did not even for a moment think about "where are my smokes" I LOVE THAT!

ynot slow
23rd January 2010, 21:19
My mum stopped after 45 or so years,dad still does but not as much,he'll give up when he dies lol.
Your body will love ya,and hopefully the lungs will be ok,believe me having half a lung removed aint fun,and fuck me I haven't smoked.

Mind you have a mean scar to impress young pissed people,tell them I was bitten by a shark,a few real dumb idiots outside the pub smoking asked how big the shark was,and yep they were blonde.

Roadsafe Nelson
23rd January 2010, 21:34
Bloody well done to you both!!!! proud of yer's!!!!! :2thumbsup

Jen :hug:

boomer
24th January 2010, 00:31
Early days for me to be a wank non-smoker but...

Stopping smoking has simply been the easiest thing I have ever done. I am not an ex smoker at all, I used to smoke, now I dont and I cant for the life of me imagine what would convince me to start smoking again.

Thanks Al, I imagined all sorts of horrible things, have failed several times attempting to give the weed away. Talked to a friend last year that told me about this book. He was so sincere and so positive about how easy it was to do it really planted the seed. Thanks Boomer. A thread came up on here last year about not smoking and SARGE offered up the book, I accepted and he sent it to me. It has languished on the bench for a few months. Then I read it. I have not given anything up at all, I simply made the decision to not smoke.

What a liberating thing to be a non smoker though. We went out today, looking like 3 or 4 hours out of the house, I hobbled down to the car and did not even for a moment think about "where are my smokes" I LOVE THAT!

you are both very welcome,if it helped you guys to quit then all good huh !

see you out on the roads soon,be strong :)

CookMySock
24th January 2010, 05:55
Well done you two. Giving up was bloody hard for me, but I was horrificly stressed at the time. Harder than giving up wanking they reckon. Six months down the track you will be pretty pleased with yourself.

The important thing for me was taking regular breaks and switcing the brain into neutral, as I tend to go hardcore for hours and hours.

Steve

Okey Dokey
24th January 2010, 10:47
I just want to say great news and well done, Maha & Mom. I've never smoked, but both my parents were chimneys. Dad last years were awful with emphysema and an oxygen bottle, now my mum is going through it. It is truly, absolutely horrible. I hope you can stick with it, I really do.

Maha
24th January 2010, 10:56
I just want to say great news and well done, Maha & Mom. I've never smoked, but both my parents were chimneys. Dad last years were awful with emphysema and an oxygen bottle, now my mum is going through it. It is truly, absolutely horrible. I hope you can stick with it, I really do.

It really is easy to not want one.
We have a friend here at the moment who is smoking. I just dont want one, even though I can smell it. I left an ashtray outside for those friends who smoke.

I figured out that, if I were to have kept smoking till I was 80 (another 33 years) I would have handed over close to $120,000 to the tobacco companies.
$3640 per year alone on fags! that money would be better going elsewhere.

Kickaha
24th January 2010, 11:21
$3640 per year alone on fags! that money would be better going elsewhere.

GE finance?:dodge:

Maha
24th January 2010, 11:43
GE finance?:dodge:

Koff!!!........they will never have the pleasure of the use of my money again.

Genie
30th January 2010, 10:56
Just checking in to see how you two are doing? Cigarettes are dirty smelly things!!!

Mom
30th January 2010, 11:10
Just checking in to see how you two are doing? Cigarettes are dirty smelly things!!!

Hey there, still happily not smoking. Easy as pie! Can not stress just how easy it has been.

Genie
30th January 2010, 11:19
Well done, I have found this time to be so easy. Over 2 months and I'll never have another.
Be super proud of yourselves .

Ladydragon
30th January 2010, 21:10
Congradulations about giving up smoking would you be able to pm me the name of the book you read and the publisher.My partner smokes which is not good but at least he smokes outside hes been smoking before I met him and that's 14 years ago so I think it's time for him to give up.

Thanks Nina

Maha
30th January 2010, 21:38
Congradulations about giving up smoking would you be able to pm me the name of the book you read and the publisher.My partner smokes which is not good but at least he smokes outside hes been smoking before I met him and that's 14 years ago so I think it's time for him to give up.

Thanks Nina

Firstly, it helps if the smoker wants to stop.

The Author is Allen Carr and the book is 'Easy Way To Stop Smoking'.

Published by Penguin.

Jonno.
30th January 2010, 23:03
Read that 3 days ago, no smokes since. Awesome book.

Ladydragon
31st January 2010, 00:27
That's true you can't make a person do something they don't want to do they have to do it for themselves it just would be nice not to have the smell of smoke or going to kiss someone after they have had a smoke which I don't allow him to do anymore ''YUK''
I just went on the net and had a look for that book and found it.The book has sold 11 million copies i'll have to go to the book shop and buy it tomorrow.I've asked him before to give up but he just wasn't interested but I think as you get older you have to take your health into consideration.

Mrs Cowboyz
31st January 2010, 02:17
Way to go you two! I had heard of this book last year when my aunty got it....she still has the book and is still smoking......she keeps saying she hasnt finished the book!!
Think I may get it soon to tell the truth...costing way too much to smoke!!

Maha
31st January 2010, 08:17
Way to go you two! I had heard of this book last year when my aunty got it....she still has the book and is still smoking......she keeps saying she hasnt finished the book!!
Think I may get it soon to tell the truth...costing way too much to smoke!!

Gotta tell ya 'B' I really did enjoy having a smoke. There were a couple of factors that helped me knock it on the head for good, health/cost.
Someone asked about this book on here last year and I said ''we have a copy here but its missing chapters 11- 18 because we run out of zig zag papers at our last party''.

I am no reader of books to be honest, they cant keep my interest, but I read about 130 pages of Allen Carr's book on the first day, I think because I really wanted to stop smoking at that point. By day two, it was all over, no more book, no more smoking.
The strange thing is, I/we dont mind being around others who smoke.
We simply just dont want one and thats because we dont smoke!

Ladydragon
31st January 2010, 12:53
I'm reading all these post's that differen't people have written it's like this book has magical powers everyone is saying that they have stopped smoking it's just blowen me away.I know my partner pays $14 for a packet of his smokes amagine how much he would save if he gave up.

I'm going to have a little chat to him tonight and ask him if he would consider to try to have a go in giving up smoking I spose because i've never smoked it would be easy for me to say it's would be easy to give up but I know it's not.So everyone cross your fingers for me that he'll agree with me and Max will read that book and give up.

Genie
31st January 2010, 17:39
people can only give up when they want and they have to really want do it. Even then, it can be hard.

Maha
31st January 2010, 17:45
people can only give up when they want and they have to really want do it. Even then, it can be hard.

That is very true Genie, the fact that you want something bad enough, is all the help you need to obtain an objective.
And once you have aquired the want, you have to work at keeping it.
Bit like the ultimate job really.

george formby
31st January 2010, 18:17
Well done. I'm still addicted even though most of the time I stub them out after a couple of drags because it makes me feel sick. I was a chef for thirty years & ciggies took the place of food when i was hungry, a couple of big drags, gulp a coffee then back to the heat, appetite suppressed. Now, when I'm hungry I reach for a ciggie. It's bloody awful & I really beat myself up for not having the discipline to kick it.

Mom
31st January 2010, 18:40
So everyone cross your fingers for me that he'll agree with me and Max will read that book and give up.

There is no way he will stop smoking unless he wants to. You risk making him more determined to continue if you push too hard. Smokers are addicts, plain and simple truth. Trust me on this I was one for 35 years. By all means direct him to this thread for a read. It may spark a bit of interest for him. Lets hope it does. I have also spoken to many people that have read this book and continue or have continued to smoke. The book is not the cure all, you have to want to stop smoking.

It's bloody awful & I really beat myself up for not having the discipline to kick it.

Well you must stop beating yourself up immediately. That is just plain silly. I failed a few times in my attempts to stop smoking mate. When you are ready I promise you it will be so friggen easy you too will be completely and utterly amazed!

Ladydragon
31st January 2010, 20:19
Well we had that little talk and leasts hes agreed to have a read of the book (it's a start right) maybe it will convince him to stop who know's?

Maha
31st January 2010, 20:26
Well we had that little talk and leasts hes agreed to have a read of the book (it's a start right) maybe it will convince him to stop who know's?

That is a start, hope you get a good result.

Gareth51
2nd February 2010, 21:14
Stick to it Mark........My first 10 years were the worst

I also celebrated my first year of freedom on the 5th

Mom
3rd February 2010, 06:32

Congratualtions :D

Maha
3rd February 2010, 12:09

You should celebrate with a cigar!......:no:

Edbear
3rd February 2010, 12:15
You should celebrate with a cigar!......:no:

:spanking::spanking::spanking::spanking:

One thing that helped me give up drugs, (I was hooked on prescription painkillers), was the thought that to take that extra half tablet my body was screaming for was a step backwards. I was determined to get off them and knew I wouldn't make it if I gave in. It was a living nightmare but I did it in 5mths instead of the 8mths the Doc worked out the programme for.

So knowing it's a step backwards may help to keep going forwards.