PDA

View Full Version : hide n seek with a jet..

bugjuice
6th May 2005, 15:23
I bet the conversation went something along the lines of...

Commander - Ok, stop dicking around. I've found the keys, now where's the plane?

Pilot - ahhh.. the keys were easy, you'll never find the plane..

Commander - Do you want to keep your job? Now at least give me a clue...

Pilot - ok, well it took 4 of us a month to hide it really well...

SpankMe
6th May 2005, 16:13
oohhhh, a MIG 25 Foxbat. Not really a fighter jet, but developed by the USSR in the 60's to intercept high-speed high-altitude reconnaissance & bomber aircraft.

Iraq is believed to have obtained about 20 MiG-25PDs and eight MiG-25RBs in the 1980s. The MiG-25RBs were apparently used in a considerable number of air strikes on Iranian targets during the Iran-Iraq War during the 1980s.

Many Iraqi Foxbats were destroyed on the ground during the Gulf War in 1991, and two were shot down in air combat by F-15s. One MiG-25PD shot down a US Navy F/A-18 Hornet on 20 January 1991, the only air-to-air kill scored by the Iraqis during the entire conflict. Another MiG-25 was shot down by F-16s on 25 December 1992 as a Christmas present to Saddam Hussein. A few MiG-25s were found after the US invasion of Iraq in the spring of 2003, with some included in a batch of aircraft that had been buried under the sand to conceal it.

One MiG-25PD shot down a US Navy F/A-18 HornetShit, never heard about that. The guy in the Hornet must've been sleeping. The Hornet can fly rings around the Foxbat.

Lou Girardin
6th May 2005, 17:11
Shit, never heard about that. The guy in the Hornet must've been sleeping. The Hornet can fly rings around the Foxbat.

Maybe, but 600's have beaten 1000's in racing too haven't they. The nut behind the wheel must have been tighter.
I bet the F/A18 jockey wasn't looking forward to getting back to base.

Coldkiwi
6th May 2005, 18:19
Tis true, the F18 should've smoked the Mig25 even just given how badly outnumbered the Iragi's were! Good news for the Iraqi's was that the UK and US then proceeded to shoot down their own choppers and aircraft and strafe their own armour columns instead of making the Iraqi's do it the hard way!

Ixion
6th May 2005, 23:08
Hide and seek with a jet ? I've done that, dismantling carbies. Damn little rolly things.

Big Dave
6th May 2005, 23:29
Too simplistic I know, but I look to the backgrounds and wonder why they fight over such a place? Somebody should show them Queenstown or something.

R6_kid
8th May 2005, 18:35
hmm rather than camoflaging ur aircraft in sand, why dont you just bury them.

Im pretty sure they did it in a way so that the a/c acutually still works.

Not that this is old news but i have seen/read about it somewhere else, possibly in Australian Aviation magazine...

Lou Girardin
9th May 2005, 13:22
Tis true, the F18 should've smoked the Mig25 even just given how badly outnumbered the Iragi's were! Good news for the Iraqi's was that the UK and US then proceeded to shoot down their own choppers and aircraft and strafe their own armour columns instead of making the Iraqi's do it the hard way!

When the Yanks bomb, everybody ducks!

scumdog
9th May 2005, 14:17
oohhhh, a MIG 25 Foxbat. Not really a fighter jet, but developed by the USSR in the 60's to intercept high-speed high-altitude reconnaissance & bomber aircraft.

Iraq is believed to have obtained about 20 MiG-25PDs and eight MiG-25RBs in the 1980s. The MiG-25RBs were apparently used in a considerable number of air strikes on Iranian targets during the Iran-Iraq War during the 1980s.

Many Iraqi Foxbats were destroyed on the ground during the Gulf War in 1991, and two were shot down in air combat by F-15s. One MiG-25PD shot down a US Navy F/A-18 Hornet on 20 January 1991, the only air-to-air kill scored by the Iraqis during the entire conflict. Another MiG-25 was shot down by F-16s on 25 December 1992 as a Christmas present to Saddam Hussein. A few MiG-25s were found after the US invasion of Iraq in the spring of 2003, with some included in a batch of aircraft that had been buried under the sand to conceal it.

Shit, never heard about that. The guy in the Hornet must've been sleeping. The Hornet can fly rings around the Foxbat.

This man needs an anorak.. :laugh: :wait: