PDA

View Full Version : Dialing in cams?

naphazoline
24th January 2010, 19:29
Gidday to all.

I was wondering if someone would be able to explain a bit about dialing in the cams on an engine,as i've only recently heard of this,i know sod all about it.

Is it a process that just needs a skilled mechanic and his trusty tools? Or some sort of computer technology?

I'm assuming that this would be something you'd do before custom mapping an engine?

What sort of pro's/con's are there to doing this, over a factory set up?

Cheers in advance for any info on this.

Naph'

Hitcher
24th January 2010, 19:34
Is it a process that just needs a skilled mechanic and his trusty tools?

What sort of pro's/con's are there to doing this?

There are few tasks that can't be performed on a motorcycle that require more tools than an 8" crescent and a hammer. The big pro about using this technique is saving money. All that's needed is lots of enthusiasm, over-confidence, a steady hand and a bit of luck. I reckon that a comprehensive toolkit and years of training under the careful supervision of qualified professionals is hugely overrated. Not to mention way more expensive than doing something yourself.

White trash
24th January 2010, 19:41
There are few tasks that can't be performed on a motorcycle that require more tools than an 8" crescent and a hammer. The big pro about using this technique is saving money. All that's needed is lots of enthusiasm, over-confidence, a steady hand and a bit of luck. I reckon that a comprehensive toolkit and years of training under the careful supervision of qualified professionals is hugely overrated. Not to mention way more expensive than doing something yourself.

Bwahahahaha, gold right there. You're one funny bastard indeed.

naphazoline
24th January 2010, 20:50

Gee thanks Hitch'.

I can see you're a bottomless pit of knowledge.:lol:

Any other halfwitts want a speil?
I'd prefer a semi intelligent answer

Sensei
24th January 2010, 21:14
Grizz should beable to do this for ya , but have alook here for abit more info on it http://www.dansmc.com/valve_timing.htm

Motu
24th January 2010, 21:31
I couldn't explain how to do it on a forum,but used to do it all the time on Triumphs - that's how you set them up and the instructions were in the Triumph Owner's Manual.

Woodman
3rd February 2010, 22:07
never done it on a bike but have done plenty of smallblock chevys in a previous life. You need the correct specs from the cam manufacturer, also need to find true tdc (not neciessarily where the marks line up) and you need to be able to adjust the cam or crank gears somehow (either vernier gears or offset keys etc) There are a few ways to measure it e.g. between lobe centres or crank degrees at .050" valve lift but on a race motor it is a very important part of the build and worth the effort.

CHAPLIN
5th February 2010, 21:38
If your motor is stock I wouldnt worry about it.My CBR900(1060 kit) has after market cams with slotted cam sprockets to allow for dialing in.It takes a bit of engine knowledge and trial and error to set them up.When I purchased this bike(off another kiwibiker), the engine cams had been set at a "base setting" which gave a good amount of power/torque through the rev range.However after a bit of trial and error the intake cam was advanced +4 degrees and this gave a huge amount of extra torque in the mid range.

naphazoline
6th February 2010, 04:29
It's not something i'm particularly interested in doing,but was more curious what the process is.

Turns out,that after reading an article in Sensei's link,that i had heard of this before,but just not referred to as "dialing in the cams".

marsheng
6th February 2010, 11:36
It's not something i'm particularly interested in doing,but was more curious what the process is.

Turns out,that after reading an article in Sensei's link,that i had heard of this before,but just not referred to as "dialing in the cams".

If you want to get a bike race ready, you have to dial in the cams. Some race tracks will use different valve timing to others by up to 4-5 degrees.

To do this, you have to have dial gauges, degree wheels, a vernier cam sprocket and plastercene to checking the valve clearances.

Not a quick job but the difference between 1st and 10th.

gixerracer
6th February 2010, 16:08
Dont waste your fucking time man Just hold the gas on harder for longer end result will be better that way

naphazoline
6th February 2010, 19:30
Dont waste your fucking time man Just hold the gas on harder for longer end result will be better that way

Nah.Not worried at all about degree-ing the cams,was just curious.
I've got TONS of grunt.
Since cutting out the cat',the blade has REALLY come alive.It's pretty aggressive compared to before.
I've been told that de-catting would equate to 1-2 hp,but i fail to see how 1-2hp could change a bike THAT much.I'm astounded just how much the bike feels different.
Done a lot of mods before this,and i reckon that de-catting has put the icing on them.:drool: