PDA

View Full Version : Big Blackies!

Pussy
26th January 2010, 18:44
If you saw the TV1 weather report this evening about the thunderstorms in the central North Island.... they weren't joking!
I had to avoid a couple of big charlie bravos (Cb's... cumulo nimbus clouds) flying between HN and NP. They were BIG BASTARDS! Very black sky, and HUGE towers

oldrider
26th January 2010, 18:54
If you saw the TV1 weather report this evening about the thunderstorms in the central North Island.... they weren't joking!
I had to avoid a couple of big charlie bravos (Cb's... cumulo nimbus clouds) flying between HN and NP. They were BIG BASTARDS! Very black sky, and HUGE towers

True, some of their bangy crashy stuff has been falling out down round here lately too, queer year for weather this "summer"....!

emaN
26th January 2010, 19:08
we've had some big systems & cells moving around these here hills too! impressive looking suckers!

Wannabiker
26th January 2010, 19:35
Shit I was riding down the desert road yesterday in the scariest thunderstorm...I was on the high point of the road (called the ten mile peg) and the lightening was hitting the ground !!! No shelter and the lightening strikes were close....Hail and torrential rain also....

ckai
26th January 2010, 19:35
We've had banging and crashing and flashing all afternoon but still nothings come of it. It's like my sex life lately, all the foreplay but none of the satisfying finale.

Bloody disappointing if you ask me.

Give me a bloody down pour already and stop taunting me!!!

Okey Dokey
26th January 2010, 19:37
Heck, thunderstorms are exciting enough when you are on the ground, without flying around them, Pussy. Glad you gave them a miss.

Pussy
26th January 2010, 19:39
Heck, thunderstorms are exciting enough when you are on the ground, without flying around them, Pussy. Glad you gave them a miss.

So am I!!
I'd probably STILL be up there now if I had gone in to one.
And a Fletcher DOESN'T have enough clocks on the dashboard to be any use in those situations!

Kevnz
26th January 2010, 19:52
Big Blackies in the middle of the road today. I was driving the cage (school holidays so had the kids) down the Forgotten Highway today and come around a corner and heres these 2 big Black cows on the road. Slowed down and got around them but they were in no hurry.A bit further along there was a big brown bull in the middle of the road, didn't move an inch as I drove past him. Also saw 2 sheep and a pig on the edge of the road. Be bloody careful if your on your bike down there. Great road but lots of hazards. The kids thought it was great though.

Chooky
26th January 2010, 20:02
Hey Pussy when you said big blackies I thought you might be out there doing burn outs again....

Usarka
26th January 2010, 20:05
No better way to get to 40,000 ft than to surf the 'nimbus.

marty
26th January 2010, 21:27
Unfortunately the tops were above 50k'. I spent the day going up and down at Matamata watching the build-ups happening over Pirongia, Waikato and Rotorua - amazingly we stayed in blue sky! Did the last load right on ECT and was just a little apprehensive about the amount of flashes coming from the HUGE cell over the Cambridge Hills. had to drive thru it on the way home thru Scotsmans - down to a crawl the rain was so hard.

Chooky
27th January 2010, 06:33
Hey Marty is Matamata on 120.0...?
I go past on the way to Tok most days, but havn't heard a dickie bird on the radio.
Usually back about 12 so miss all the rain.

marty
27th January 2010, 08:00
Yeah 120.0, but I'm mostly on Control 125.3 after about 2500' - only make a bout 5 calls on 120.0 per load - rolling, climbing, dropping, re-entering, joining base....

nudemetalz
27th January 2010, 12:31
Might have to go IFR,.. or is it IVF, or IDLE or IQ when you fly in those clouds, Pussy... :rofl:

Hopeful Bastard
27th January 2010, 13:09
You guys are lucky to have the rain..

Here in Levin we just had Beautiful Thunder claps. No rain. No lightning and nice open skies. I really wanted it to rain :(

Pogo2
27th January 2010, 14:10
IFR means "I Follow Roads" doesn't it. Usually works for me

Might have to invest in WX radar there Pussy. Stick it on the end of the spinner - I sure thats were it is meant to go!

crazyhorse
27th January 2010, 14:10
Thought in HB we were gonna see this amazing lightening that they keep promising - nothing. Not even a clap of thunder yesterday. But wait! They've said we're to get some more today................ nope! nothing out the window looks like black clouds, just hot sunny weather out there - glad for air con today :yes:

R6_kid
27th January 2010, 15:30
Might have to go IFR,.. or is it IVF, or IDLE or IQ when you fly in those clouds, Pussy... :rofl:

Haha, he doesn't have enough gauges for IFR and the ones he does have only tell him that he's too high or too low, to fast or too slow, level or inverted, full or empty, redline or idle, and how far away dinner is.

Hans
27th January 2010, 20:27
You guys are lucky to have the rain..

Here in Levin we just had Beautiful Thunder claps. No rain. No lightning and nice open skies. I really wanted it to rain :(

That would have been that beautiful anvil-shaped cell that was sitting on the mountains behind you. I saw it when I was coming back down to Wellie.

Swoop
28th January 2010, 14:24
I had to avoid a couple of big charlie bravos... They were BIG BASTARDS! Very black sky, and HUGE towers
You know the KB rules...
Photo's or it never happened!!!:rofl:

marty
28th January 2010, 14:38
I
Follow
Roads, Rivers, Railway tracks

CookMySock
28th January 2010, 15:24
Hehe aren't cb's majestic things to fly between. :whistle:

Stuff having one of those confetti makers suck ya up though.. :bye: IFR is no use to ya with no wings.

Steve