PDA

View Full Version : Obligatory "Hello" from Old Steve

Old Steve
27th January 2010, 19:46
After much discussion while on holiday in the early New Year, and a chance meeting with five bikers from Tauranga at the Coroglen Tavern on the way home, I've received permission from the wife to buy a late life crisis. I say "received permission" because over the nine months I'll spend getting my bike license my riding time will be time which I will spend on my own, and I don't know how the wife will eventually take to pillion rider's duties.

As an older learner rider, I'll be taking a cautious approach. I believe that everybody out on the road is out to kill motorcyclists, maybe not intentionally, but I think that's a good position to start from. I've booked my introduction to learning this weekend, hope to have my learner's license fairly soon.

Then, it's what bike time! I'm looking for a cruiser, I don't see myself these days moulded onto the top of a tank on a sports bike, I see myself as more of a sedate, upright rider. Of course the male ego wants something that looks big and bold, but is easy to handle and learn on. Something I'll probably keep once I get my full license, a comfortable cruiser. I'll be looking for a V-twin - at my age your kidneys need all the help they can get so single bangers like the Suzuki GZ250 Marauder (while having attractive purchase prices) probably have to be discounted. As an aside, there's a burgunndy 1999 Suzuki GZ250 with just 8500 km on the clock for sale at Bayride Motorcycles in Tauranga for $3195. I won't be taking it.

So that probably means I'm looking at the Honda VT250 Magna (older now, some are still pricey, some have higher mileages, and the pillion seat looks small), The Yamaha XV250 Virago (doesn't have the visceral appeal of the Magna, and prices are on the higher side of the range), the Suzuki VL250Intruder (newer, probably lower mileages, but higher prices), and the Hyosung GV250 Aquila (a bit of an unknown for me, look like more attractive prices are available for lower mileage models). I'd appreciate anyone's comments on their experiences of these bikes, how they ride, their suitablility for beginners, and especially the reliability of higher mileage Honda Magnas.

Maha
27th January 2010, 20:11
First off, welcome to KB Old Steve.
Out of the bikes you have mentioned, I would go for the Intruder over anything else...
The Aquila is butt ugly and priced accordingly.
Your height wont come into play on any of them now that you have made up your mind that you want a cruiser.
Once you get your full you will be looking to upgrade anyway.
So choose with your head, basically it comes down to money verses age/milage of chosen bike.
But you cant go wrong with the Suzuki or the Honda.

mrchips
27th January 2010, 20:47
Hi Old Steve, I'm one of those 'old learner riders' & i believe..... everybody out on the road is out to kill everybody.

Take it easy & let the loons pass you by.

btw, Your wife will love pillion duty ;).

caseye
27th January 2010, 22:43
Welcome to KB Old Steve.Maha is not often 100% right butt this evening he must have taken his right pills, LOL. hey mate. The Intruder gives you a bike which is about the same size and weight as the next one up will be. Good reliable and relatively cheap these days.
Dont go near the Virago too slow for a real bloke.

Kornholio
27th January 2010, 22:59
G'day, are you related to Crazy Steve?

Maha
28th January 2010, 15:54
Welcome to KB Old Steve.Maha is not often 100% right butt this evening he must have taken his right pills, LOL. hey mate. The Intruder gives you a bike which is about the same size and weight as the next one up will be. Good reliable and relatively cheap these days.
Dont go near the Virago too slow for a real bloke.

Thats right, I am normally 95.8% correct, until proven otherwise.....:yes:

Yeah see how side stepped the Virago thing in my original post?......:innocent:

Swoop
29th January 2010, 11:04
Welcome to KB old Steve!

Take it easy out there, and enjoy the rides. :ride:

Old Steve
29th January 2010, 19:04
G'day, are you related to Crazy Steve?

Hi Kornholio. I've heard that there are old bikers, and there are Crazy bikers. However I believe there are no old, crazy bikers.

In other words, Crazy Steve and I are - to the best of my knowledge - unrelated, LOL

Geez, I'm just going over the Road Code in preparation for my Learners test. The bloody Rode Code has changed a lot in the 43 years since I first got my license, if I wasn't revising then I would definitely fail the theory test!

stify
29th January 2010, 19:32
Hi Kornholio. I've heard that there are old bikers, and there are Crazy bikers. However I believe there are no old, crazy bikers.

In other words, Crazy Steve and I are - to the best of my knowledge - unrelated, LOL

there's plenty of old crazy bikers still around....damn glad you're not related to Crazy Steve though, you should hook up wit the tauranga crew when you're ready

FlyingKiwi
30th January 2010, 11:14
Welcome old boy. It's probably a good thong coming into the game late. You'll avoid the cliche little bike punk glares.

Take it easy

tri boy
30th January 2010, 12:48
Best advice.
Mow your lawns/chores through the week, then you get a free pass for the weekend.
Hide all repair/service/accessories invoices relating to m/cycles, (the dollars are quite substantial).
Oh, yeah, Welcome to the machine.

Old Steve
30th January 2010, 14:00
Starting Basic Handling Skills with Bill Hadley tomorrow (Sunday 31st).

Learner's license by Tuesday - now why do the words "Tui Ad" go through my head .....

Old Steve
2nd February 2010, 19:38
Sunday rained, so I did my Basic Handling Skills on Monday. Now for the medical - at my age there's always something wrong with you and medications to take :-) - and then the theory test.

Hortz
6th February 2010, 16:02
Welcome to KB.
I started on a Hyosung GV250 which my brother now rides. These are great bikes with the feel of a big bike with the 250cc v-twin motor. For a learner it allows you to have some "presence" on the road. I used to take mine from Hamilton to Whakatane and back once a month and it would comfortably sit on 110-125 km (when required) while giving value for money at about $17 per 140km's. This bike is a good investment if you are going to hold onto it for more a while after you get your full licence, however by then you may want a bit more muscle under the old fulla. If this is the case then get a cheap peice of crapp to trash and save your money for the "big" bike. The Hyosung does lack that midrange power, however all 250 cruisers do on the open road, however for around town and short trips its a winner. I'm 125kg and my wife is 70ish Kg (However if she asks she's a trim 65) and it would never bottom out, and the pillon seat is ultra soft for her pleasure.
Hope this helps

Old Steve
9th February 2010, 18:45
Thanks for the comments Hortz. I missed out on a TradeMe auction for a Suzuki Invader the other night, so my sights are now set on a Hyosung GV250 that's up for sale. The size of it does appeal to me, both for visibility's sake on the road and for my ego's sake being on a bigger bike. The 15L fuel tank appeals too if I get into longer distance cruising - say breakfast at home, lunch in Coromandel, and a late afternoon tea back home.

vifferman
9th February 2010, 19:12
Hi, Old Steve! :wavey:
Wulcum to Kiwi the Biker.

Are you related to DangerousBastard? :confused: He's called Steve too (at least that what he always appends to his posts...)

petebro
21st March 2010, 15:31
Hi Steve. I'm an oldie as well, and recently new to KB. I bought a Hyosung GV 250 last year, didn't know anything about this bike, but did some reviews on the net before buying and was impressed by what I read. A big bike for a 250, often mistaken for a bigger capacity machine. Lot of chrome, good looking, fast enough and never had any problems with mechanics. However, the upright, feet forward position killed my tailbone, only an hour or so into the ride. I've opted for a sports/tourer z750 which is much more comfortable, slight angle upright sitting position My advice...test a few bikes before you buy...and spend at least an hour or more riding them to see if it's comfortable enough. Cheers.

gilly
21st March 2010, 16:43
Hi Steve, welcome,

Get the Suzuki, and, bugger putting "the wife" on the back - get her a bike of her own.

caseye
21st March 2010, 17:44
Hi Steve, welcome,

Get the Suzuki, and, bugger putting "the wife" on the back - get her a bike of her own.

LOL What she said and she's qualifed to say it an all, Gilly is a wonderfiul lady who now rides her own "big Bike", my wife now rides her own bike and one day it's going to grow up and be a Harly. It's HER Dream OK! #@#$%. Nothing I can do about it.
Point is, have fun enjoy the freedom and see if your wife wants to ride at all, you may be surprised. Course I'd recommend you get your bike and some time in the seat and then take her everywhere you can on the back before asking, " that question"
It's how I did it, and when she said 'aw yeah" I'd already hit the "buy now" on the good old Tardme page for her first bike, te he he.