PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Wage raise to $12.75

Mully
27th January 2010, 21:41
Well, there was an increase - I'm surprised actually.

I did like the woman on TV1 news - minimum wage, husband on "not much more" and 4 kids to support. Complaining that another $10 a week wouldn't do much.

Felt a bit sorry, until they went outside and you saw the car with new plates on it. What's the bet that if I checked the rego, it'd be financed?

When I was minimum wage, I took training and education to rise above that. I suppose that's too easy.

Donor
27th January 2010, 21:48
I would have spewed if it had been cranked up to the $15 the part timers wanted...

I work in a skilled, professional role, and earn not much more than that again, so why remove the incentive for people to upskill themselves and get decent paying jobs?

steve_t
27th January 2010, 21:49
With all the media hype in the last few weeks suggesting a minimum wage of $15 an hour, anything less was always going to get complained about. I'm sure the $15 minimum was suggested by Labour - quite a smart campaign to attack National really. At least this time around they haven't interviewed people saying that the extra $10 isn't even enough to pay for the increase in a pack of smokes and that it means their kids will go hungry. I remember that and thought it was brilliant

huff3r
27th January 2010, 22:00
Yay! I get a payrise! If more places gave payrises for "up-skilling" i would be very happy, as it is my work gives me minimum and even though i can now do far more than my job description entails, i still get my $12.50 a week. Plus the little "petrol allowance" they give us doesnt nearly cover petrol costs, nor the other costs of running a car. Meh. Airforce here i come! :D

sAsLEX
27th January 2010, 22:07
Meh. Airforce here i come! :D

Counting your chickens before they hatch?

It aint the best this side of being a civillian.

But it aint bad either with this here recession still clinging around.

gatch
27th January 2010, 23:01
I would have spewed if it had been cranked up to the $15 the part timers wanted...

I work in a skilled, professional role, and earn not much more than that again, so why remove the incentive for people to upskill themselves and get decent paying jobs?

+1

As a 4th year apprentice, I'm still not on that, despite being skilled and productive in my work.

$15/hr for jobs that can be learnt in a month.

Scheisse !!

mynameis
27th January 2010, 23:34
Labour need a kick around their necks. They had frikken 9 years and sat on their ass, didn't do much now they want National to increase it to $15 an hour just like that.

Heck that's a 20% pay rise in these tough times without doing anything additional and when most aren't getting anything.

It will breed more lazies.

Will result in job loss.

Create barries for businesses.

Force a lot businesses to reduce employees hours.

25c increase, good call.

h211
28th January 2010, 02:30
As nice as it would be to get a bit more for the time being, it wouldnt be sustainable. At $15/hr the job market situation would be worse than before xmas!

hayd3n
28th January 2010, 05:59
4 year apprentice what trade?
4th year apprentice here aswell
just under $20 hr

Ixion
28th January 2010, 11:17
It's the people not even getting the minimum wage that I really feel for. Paul reynolds of Telecom gets $5M+ / yr. And a lot of people are trying to bring up families on $12.75 an hour. Is that really the sort of society we want ?

Despite what you may hear, it's NOT easy living on $510 a week. And people on the minimum wage aren't always in that position becuase they are feckless or stupid or lazy.

Tank
28th January 2010, 11:31
It's the people not even getting the minimum wage that I really feel for. Paul reynolds of Telecom gets $5M+ / yr. And a lot of people are trying to bring up families on $12.75 an hour. Is that really the sort of society we want ?

Despite what you may hear, it's NOT easy living on $510 a week. And people on the minimum wage aren't always in that position becuase they are feckless or stupid or lazy.

Actually yes - Thats exactly how I want to live.

People should be paid for their skills. My daughter started on less then min wage (training wage) then went upto the $12.50 - had a flat and a car to pay for. Now on $23 per hour after 2 months in this job (not related to training). People that work hard and try to move forward dont stay on minimum wage for long.

As for Mallards $15 - it was a cock and couldnt ever be done. And he knows it.

mashman
28th January 2010, 11:35
I guess that 10 bucks a week will be subject to the new employer and employee ACC levies, everything that has GST against it and won't really see any benefit once the tax breaks come into being. Factor that into your "pay rise" and i'm pretty sure the rise itself is much less than 10 bucks!

Pah! that's society for ya. Shit, the guy in the mailroom should be getting the $5+ mill... if he doesn't deliver the reports, memo's, communiques, then the monkey at the top of the tree can't make those all important decisions... ya know, the Ferrari or the Zonda today!!!

gatch
28th January 2010, 11:44
4 year apprentice what trade?
4th year apprentice here aswell
just under $20 hr

Machinist. I'm on 202 credits at the moment, need 290 to finish. Almost finished a stack of assignments worth about 70 credits. Next pay rise is at 250 credits and that will see me up to $16.50.

In contrast, my old flatmate did a few months laboring for an electrical company. Then started his apprenticeship on $18.50 and his own van/phone.

Bollocks.

sunhuntin
28th January 2010, 11:49
they had it on tv3 that after tax/gst going up, acc levies going up both on wages and vehicles [im assuming they used a car rego] and other stuff, min wagers would get about $6/week in the hand.

my weekend job reacted a week or so ago and made the decision to close on sundays. that means staff across the country are losing a days wages, myself included. and still they expect the managers to trim hours elsewhere. and yeh, we are on min wage.

R6_kid
28th January 2010, 11:53
In 2007 I went to work full-time for $17.50/hr in an office job where I was taught my role on the job. I only had 5th & 6th Form Computer Studies/ICT as a qualification and had done a little it of Computer Science at Uni. That role developed and changed over the course of the year before I went to Outward Bound for my 21st where they 'let me go' because I'd taken too much leave in the year. Next thing I know I get back from OB and I have 5 missed calls from the temp agency that placed me with that company asking if I'd like to go back and work there for $18.50/hr in a different role which was less busier than the previous job. I ended up doing my managers job while she browsed the internet most of the day. Three months later 'cost control' came in from Aussie and they gave me two weeks notice and made my manager start doing her job, negating the need for me to be there. I ended up going into another admin type office job, which took me 2-3 days to learn in it's entirety and by the end of the week I was up to speed with another guy who'd been there for a month - we we're on $20/hr which works out to just under $40k and our only experience was that we had worked in an office before. I wouldn't consider doing that long term, and I only work for 'shit' money when I'm desperate (like at the moment) and that is for part-time work which I can understand.

If you want good money you have to have a good attitude and be well presented. That will usually get you in the door at a decent sized company. Small fish go for small jobs and get small pay, if you want to earn reasonable money you have to work for it but once you're in the game it's not hard to support yourself, have some toys and upskill yourself all at the same time. But you have to decide whether you want a job or a career, and I certainly would hope that if you are after a career that you aren't on minimum wage unless you are an apprentice.

Pascal
28th January 2010, 12:06
And a lot of people are trying to bring up families on $12.75 an hour. Is that really the sort of society we want ?

I'd ask them why they're trying to bring up families on $12.75 when a 20 pack of Durex Classic is only $18 and that's at Foodtown. Then I'd ask them why they're shopping at Foodtown and not Pak n Save or even taking advantage of the cheapo deals you can get at the Chinese grocer. And as a last question I'd ask them what they're doing to ensure their kids aren't in their shoes by the time they're thinking about having kids.

This is an awesome country. There are opportunities everywhere, free education and enough government help for anyone to upskill. It's open to anyone.

I hear what you're saying about feckless / stupid / lazy and that is why there should be safety net. Sometimes shit happens and people get dealt shit cards. But that's why we have bootlaces, so we can pick ourselves up and carry on, right?

ckai
28th January 2010, 12:12
If you want good money you have to have a good attitude and be well presented. That will usually get you in the door at a decent sized company. Small fish go for small jobs and get small pay, if you want to earn reasonable money you have to work for it but once you're in the game it's not hard to support yourself, have some toys and upskill yourself all at the same time. But you have to decide whether you want a job or a career, and I certainly would hope that if you are after a career that you aren't on minimum wage unless you are an apprentice.

Yip. Generally, and I mean generally, those that complain about only getting minimum wage will never excel themselves to go above it. They complain about everything and the good companies don't want that attitude. Hence they stay where they are. You're always gonna get those types though. Those that can't be bothered making something of themselves.

On the other hand, there are asshole companies that will only employ min wage because they're greedy shits.

I always like looking at some of the other countries with no min wage. Theory is, the market will dictate the wage. Works well when there are more jobs then people, doesn't when people are fighting for jobs.

"Being on minimum wage is the bosses way of telling you he would pay you less if he could" :)

Mully
28th January 2010, 12:24
Labour need a kick around their necks. They had frikken 9 years and sat on their ass, didn't do much now they want National to increase it to $15 an hour just like that.

Apparently, the Maori party wanted an increase to $15/h too.

Cos apparently, two thirds of Maori earn below the median income.

MisterD
28th January 2010, 12:39

Two thirds of maori are earning money rather than getting handouts - I'm fucking amazed by that stat...

Molly
28th January 2010, 12:47
It's a free market economy so it's up to the individual to work / study until they have something the market will pay good money for. Next thing I'd like to see is a restriction on benefits payable to young people and long-term unemployed (and I'd like benefits to be repayable). NZ has too many perfectly healthy young people languishing on the dole who should be filling their time looking for work, studying and / or doing something for the community (cleaning off taggs etc.).

slofox
28th January 2010, 12:51
As a self employed person, I would be glad of $12.75 an hour. 25 years self employment later, I have yet to pay myself the minimum wage. That's the trouble with tight-arse bosses - they under pay you to hell...I work out that the bastard pays me $9.45 an hour...prick!

wynw
28th January 2010, 13:18
As a self employed person, I would be glad of $12.75 an hour. 25 years self employment later, I have yet to pay myself the minimum wage. That's the trouble with tight-arse bosses - they under pay you to hell...I work out that the bastard pays me $9.45 an hour...prick!

You are doin ok, thats more than what i get! thinking seriously about going back to having paid holidays again!!!

Mully
28th January 2010, 13:20

Take yourself to the ERA....

slofox
28th January 2010, 13:29
Take yourself to the ERA....

European Research Area?

kwaka_crasher
28th January 2010, 13:32

You're doing something very wrong...

slofox
28th January 2010, 13:50
You're doing something very wrong...

Nah...I'm doing EVERYTHING wrong...:rofl:

zeocen
28th January 2010, 13:50
Counting your chickens before they hatch?

It aint the best this side of being a civillian.

But it aint bad either with this here recession still clinging around.

Whenuapai?

Mully
28th January 2010, 14:02
Whenuapai?

Bless you.

mynameis
28th January 2010, 15:28
Apparently, the Maori party wanted an increase to $15/h too.

No no no you heard it wrong two thirds of Maori are on doll which obviously is below the minimum wage :lol:

SPman
28th January 2010, 16:47
One could say that you are martyring yourself for a lifestyle. If you can't earn a minimum wage for yourself after 25 yrs of self employment, I'd say you are doing something seriously wrong and should get a job where you can earn a living wage! Which, in NZ,seems to be harder and harder to do! Not bitch about it because others could get more!
Two thirds of maori are earning money rather than getting handouts - I'm fucking amazed by that stat... Then you'd be a fuckwitted bigot then, wouldn't you! Most Maori I know earn above the average wage, through their intelligence, skills and abilities - contrary to the popular belief reinforced by sensationalist media and talk back radio, that all Maori are lazy, dumb, aggressive money sucking leeches doing their best to destroy valiant Pakeha superiority!.

Under the last Labour government the minimum wage increased by 70% over nine years, yet unemploment halved in that time. If people are worried about the minimum wage being too close to the average wage, maybe they should do something about raising the average wage instead of acting like survivors trying to cling to a rope and kicking off those below them who are trying to hold on, rather than climbing up the rope.....

SMOKEU
28th January 2010, 17:31
If you want more money then sell your ass on the streets.

Molly
28th January 2010, 17:53
One could say that you are martyring yourself for a lifestyle. If you can't earn a minimum wage for yourself after 25 yrs of self employment, I'd say you are doing something seriously wrong and should get a job where you can earn a living wage! Which, in NZ,seems to be harder and harder to do! Not bitch about it because others could get more! Then you'd be a fuckwitted bigot then, wouldn't you! Most Maori I know earn above the average wage, through their intelligence, skills and abilities - contrary to the popular belief reinforced by sensationalist media and talk back radio, that all Maori are lazy, dumb, aggressive money sucking leeches doing their best to destroy valiant Pakeha superiority!.

Under the last Labour government the minimum wage increased by 70% over nine years, yet unemploment halved in that time. If people are worried about the minimum wage being too close to the average wage, maybe they should do something about raising the average wage instead of acting like survivors trying to cling to a rope and kicking off those below them who are trying to hold on, rather than climbing up the rope.....

You make a good point. What the hell are you doing on here?

SPman
28th January 2010, 19:55
You make a good point. What the hell are you doing on here? Wasting time browsing the net whilst being paid more money than I've ever earnt in my life - but not in NZ

FJRider
28th January 2010, 20:05
And a lot of people are trying to bring up families on $12.75 an hour. Is that really the sort of society we want ?

The dole pays less ... an awful lot seem to get by on that for years ... and years ... and ...

$12.75 is a damm sight better than the $7.50 an hour I started ... when I was a lad ....

Squiggles
28th January 2010, 21:22
is a damm sight better than the $7.50 an hour I started ... when I was a lad ....

Far, does that make me older then? When i was a lad i think it was $6.50....

(I'm only 21 now)

FJRider
28th January 2010, 21:25
Far, does that make me older then? When i was a lad i think it was $6.50....

(I'm only 21 now)

Nahhhhh ... I was just worth more than the rif-raf on minimum wage ... :innocent:

Maha
28th January 2010, 21:45
$12.75 is a damm sight better than the $7.50 an hour I started ... when I was a lad ....

Thought you would have started on about........2' 6pc

Spuds1234
29th January 2010, 06:33
Yay! I get a payrise! If more places gave payrises for "up-skilling" i would be very happy, as it is my work gives me minimum and even though i can now do far more than my job description entails, i still get my $12.50 a week. Plus the little "petrol allowance" they give us doesnt nearly cover petrol costs, nor the other costs of running a car. Meh. Airforce here i come! :D

Atleast your getting out of your McDonlads career.

Str8 Jacket
29th January 2010, 06:43
I got paid $3.25 an hour and went up to $5.25 after training at my first part time job. Think I used to earn more when I did the NZ Herald paper run in the morning and the Daily post run in the arvo when I was at Intermediate! :laugh:

If people learn to budget accordingly then they should be able to survive off whatever they are getting, if you need a second job then you need a second job. In saying that I am all for the raise in minimum wage, not all people have the skills or brain power to work in highly skilled jobs and I applaud those that just get off their arses and do something with themselves, no matter how menial other people think it is....

MisterD
29th January 2010, 06:44
Just so we all know what kind of people we have in opposition:

Metiria v Trevor (http://blog.greens.org.nz/2010/01/28/trevor-defriended-me-on-fb-and-im-a-bit-sad-about-that/)

MisterD
29th January 2010, 06:45
If you want more money then sell your ass on the streets.

Can you sell donkeys on the streets of our cities or are there special markets?

Pascal
29th January 2010, 07:05
Just so we all know what kind of people we have in opposition

MP's behaving like 13 year old school girls? Never!

I can see Trev and Hels now, blowing air kisses and BFF :heart:

The Stranger
29th January 2010, 07:14
Felt a bit sorry, until they went outside and you saw the car with new plates on it. What's the bet that if I checked the rego, it'd be financed?

Though isn't that simply ignorance (as opposed to extravagance) on their part?
There's a lot of it going around you know.

SMOKEU
29th January 2010, 10:00
Can you sell donkeys on the streets of our cities or are there special markets?

I wouldn't know, I'm not a hick.

imdying
29th January 2010, 10:41
Heh, I started on $5.85, and a 1992 CBR250RR was cheaper then than it is now :laugh:

slofox
29th January 2010, 10:59
One could say that you are martyring yourself for a lifestyle. If you can't earn a minimum wage for yourself after 25 yrs of self employment, I'd say you are doing something seriously wrong and should get a job where you can earn a living wage! Which, in NZ,seems to be harder and harder to do! Not bitch about it because others could get more!

Not at all SPman. Small business requires a lot of hours per week is all...the amount I get per WEEK is not so bad. The hourly rate is in fact a bit of a red herring...no martyring involved. I do what I do with my eyes wide open and in full knowledge of what is required.

Besides, there are benefits in being self employed. I can't be fired or made redundant for a start and I can tell the boss to get fucked any time I want as well...:rofl:

Pascal
29th January 2010, 11:16
Though isn't that simply ignorance (as opposed to extravagance) on their part?
There's a lot of it going around you know.

Ignorance is one word for it, yes, and I can certainly see that there are people caught in that trap. But people who have difficulties financially and then go out to buy a new car on finance is somebody living outside of their means. I'd love to buy things I can't afford and then have my salary increased to compensate. Heck, there's a list of bikes that I want, about 6 muscle cars and ... well. I have a long list.

Anybody who gets into that type of trouble has not seen www.sorted.org.nz. That cute little mouse that appears on TV on regular intervals that gives them guidance and contact details for sorting out their finances. For that matter, Work and Income have brochures and staff available to help with budgeting.

Like I said earlier - NZ is a fantastic country for putting all the tools at everybody's fingertips. It's up the individual to take some responsibiltiy and to look at their options.

steve_t
29th January 2010, 11:24
Ignorance is one word for it, yes, and I can certainly see that there are people caught in that trap. But people who have difficulties financially and then go out to buy a new car on finance is somebody living outside of their means. I'd love to buy things I can't afford and then have my salary increased to compensate. Heck, there's a list of bikes that I want, about 6 muscle cars and ... well. I have a long list.

Anybody who gets into that type of trouble has not seen www.sorted.org.nz. That cute little mouse that appears on TV on regular intervals that gives them guidance and contact details for sorting out their finances. For that matter, Work and Income have brochures and staff available to help with budgeting.

Like I said earlier - NZ is a fantastic country for putting all the tools at everybody's fingertips. It's up the individual to take some responsibiltiy and to look at their options.

My mate had an employee who at 20 years old bought an $18,000 car (actually it was a $12,000 car with mags and a body kit but I guess some people think there's a lot of value in that) on her credit card!!!! She was only paying the minimum on the card at 22% interest!! I think she needed to buy the car to keep her loser boyfriend from dumping her. There was a lot of head shaking that day, but hey, who gives a person on $14 an hour an $18,000 limit on their credit card?!

The Stranger
29th January 2010, 11:42

It's up the individual to take some responsibiltiy and to look at their options.

Yeah, as I was saying, ignorance.
You're obviously not ignorant of the money issues involved here, however it appears you are ignorant in other areas, so perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to judge?

Pascal
29th January 2010, 12:45
Yeah, as I was saying, ignorance.
You're obviously not ignorant of the money issues involved here, however it appears you are ignorant in other areas, so perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to judge?

Hey! Ignorance is bliss. :p But do you really think somebody who is struggling financially buying a new car is a case of ignorance? And not extravagance / living outside of means / stupidity?

You don't need a degree to work out that salary of $50 per day and expenses of $75 a day after that shiny car isn't going to work out too well.

Swoop
29th January 2010, 13:23
Anybody who gets into that type of trouble has not seen www.sorted.org.nz.
That type of person has seen http://www.gemoney.co.nz/en/

... but hey, who gives a person on $14 an hour an $18,000 limit on their credit card?!
See above...

The Stranger
29th January 2010, 21:21
Hey! Ignorance is bliss.

I dunno, never been there, but you seem to be enjoying it immensely.