PDA

View Full Version : Speed cameras and speed traps

GerryAttrick
28th January 2010, 08:56
This is probably not so useful for the average bike rider but I wonder if anyone has tried it in the cage? Given the number of iphones around it seems like something that could be quite lucrative

http://trapster.com/

It looks like it also runs on Blackberrys, Palms and Nokias.

You can actually find a lot of NZ speed cameras already - probably not all of them though. Adding mobile "tax collectors" would be a nice addition:innocent:

Scuba_Steve
28th January 2010, 11:16
good stuff, another thing to help protect against NZ's biggest scam!

Guided_monkey
28th January 2010, 11:25
Speed camera's aren't a scam...... they are for our own good...... well that's what they keep telling us.

Never seen any statistics that 'prove' otherwise.

vifferman
28th January 2010, 12:03
My TomTom tells me where the fixed ones are, at least.

grusomhat
28th January 2010, 20:45
Get a Garmin GPS and install OpenGPS maps. You'll get maps including almost all NZ fixed cameras. Updated by NZ'ers too

CookMySock
28th January 2010, 21:04
The cops aren't allowed to conceal themselves and set a trap without having a very good reason. Basically they have to be targetting a specific person using a technique that is required in that instance. They can park in the shade though, as long as they are in clear view.

If you can't see a patrol car or other suspicious-looking car parked on the roadside in plain view, or you don't have a radar detector, then you better slow down quick.

Steve

Swoop
29th January 2010, 10:35
You are confusing tax collecting with "global warming". Both very similar in concept though...

fliplid
30th January 2010, 12:09
The cops aren't allowed to conceal themselves and set a trap without having a very good reason. Basically they have to be targetting a specific person using a technique that is required in that instance. They can park in the shade though, as long as they are in clear view.

If you can't see a patrol car or other suspicious-looking car parked on the roadside in plain view, or you don't have a radar detector, then you better slow down quick.

Steve

Ah, you mean the fekker who parks his van right down the bank on the south bound side of SH1 near Manurewa? Virtually submerged in the shrubbery, and nigh on unseen until your on top of the beggar. Very "plain sight"?!

golfmade
4th February 2010, 14:44

Big scam here as well and I do remember back home there were several states that finally got off their asses and got rid of the cameras.

PrincessBandit
5th February 2010, 21:24
Ah, you mean the fekker who parks his van right down the bank on the south bound side of SH1 near Manurewa? Virtually submerged in the shrubbery, and nigh on unseen until your on top of the beggar. Very "plain sight"?!

Hmmmm, seen him a few times. I'm sure the greenery along there was grown specially!

Ratti
16th February 2010, 18:10
Ive been wondering...being a nana rider its not something Ive ever had to worry about.

When a bike speeds and a cop with a camera is on the job, does a bike get snapped and ticketed? Am wondering how they identify us with no number plate in front? or do they also have a camera on the other side of the car taking an retreating pic of the vehicle?

er,. does that make sense?

kwaka_crasher
16th February 2010, 18:16
Ive been wondering...being a nana rider its not something Ive ever had to worry about.

When a bike speeds and a cop with a camera is on the job, does a bike get snapped and ticketed? Am wondering how they identify us with no number plate in front? or do they also have a camera on the other side of the car taking an retreating pic of the vehicle?

er,. does that make sense?

They're not cops in vans. They're civillians.

It's claimed that they'll try and get the plate if they're watching and make a note of it. But that's not so easy to do as it sounds. Your size 12 boot is your friend in case they do... ;)

Ratti
20th February 2010, 18:18
I see a lot of marked police cars with uniformed cops in them waving a wee thingummybob at me when I ride past. If it's not a speed camera then what are they doing?

paturoa
20th February 2010, 18:22
True story - the mother of one of the spawn's friends, was very miiffed when I told her that her new Tomtom wouldn't tell her where the speed cameras in vans were!

Coldrider
20th February 2010, 18:26
I see a lot of marked police cars with uniformed cops in them waving a wee thingummybob at me when I ride past. If it's not a speed camera then what are they doing?hand held speed detector laser gun.

Ratti
20th February 2010, 18:39
so how do they get the details of a speeder?
is it attached to a camera and clicks a pic if over a certain speed?
if so, then what about bikes? Do we get clicked too?

kwaka_crasher
20th February 2010, 18:45
so how do they get the details of a speeder?
is it attached to a camera and clicks a pic if over a certain speed?
if so, then what about bikes? Do we get clicked too?

No camera. They normally chase you and if successful will issue you an Infringement Offence Notice.

Coldrider
20th February 2010, 18:52
No camera. They normally chase you and if successful will issue you an Infringement Offence Notice.They usually work in pairs, radio to a coppa down the road who pulls you over. They don't use them that often as they are labour intensive, unless they have nothing better to do.

kwaka_crasher
20th February 2010, 20:00
They usually work in pairs, radio to a coppa down the road who pulls you over. They don't use them that often as they are labour intensive, unless they have nothing better to do.

While I'm aware of that happening, and I know of someone whom it has happened to, I've never actually seen it happening it myself. But I see them on the motorway all the time using the LIDAR on their own with no other cops in proximity.

Coldrider
20th February 2010, 20:08
While I'm aware of that happening, and I know of someone whom it has happened to, I've never actually seen it happening it myself. But I see them on the motorway all the time using the LIDAR on their own with no other cops in proximity.While it is not an arguement, the only time I have seen them in operation, in Napier and Hokitika and Bulls, they have been a co-ordinated operation.
Pig dropped off on footpath to point beam, car down the road to pounce.

Morepower
26th February 2010, 23:45
While it is not an arguement, the only time I have seen them in operation, in Napier and Hokitika and Bulls, they have been a co-ordinated operation.
Pig dropped off on footpath to point beam, car down the road to pounce.

There is one cop in Napier that likes to sit in a mufti at the top end of Taradale road near the round about doing a solo laser stint. he just aims it out the window and I guess if he gets you its " hot pursuit "