PDA

View Full Version : Xena alarmed disk lock - opinions

centaurus
29th January 2010, 12:58
Hi guys,

I am preparing for a two week bike touring trip and want to buy a disk lock for my bike. Personally I would buy the Xena alarmed lock so if anybody touches the bike it would go off, but I've heard some rumours that the alarm on these turns off quite easily and by itself. If this is true, I will end up buying a non-alarmed disk lock like the oxford omega.

I'm looking for opinions from people who HAVE OWNED the Xena lock or have any experience with the product - how good is it, does it work, how often do you have false alarms, etc...

Also, if there are people here that can say something FROM EXPERIENCE about the oxford omega or can recommend another GOOD non alarmed disk lock, that would be fantastic.

Little Miss Trouble
29th January 2010, 13:59
I had a Xena disk lock & the bloody thing started going off at all sorts of hours for no good reason and no, it didn't turn itself off = crawling out of bed at 3am to take it off.

If you have the space I'd be more inclined to get a chain something along the lines of this (http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/products/215-locks_and_chains/2228-gold_series_security_oxford_revolver_armoured_cabl e_lock.aspx) & attach the bike to something unmoveable each night, if one night you can't find anything to chain it to chain goes through the disk & rear wheel up over the seat - much more of a visable deterant

steve_t
29th January 2010, 14:04
I do own a Xena Disc Lock but it did go off at all crazy hours of the night :( Since then I've read the page saying you can adjust the sensitivity by changing the position on the disc, but I haven't had a chance to try it out. If you get a disc lock, make sure you get the reminder bungy cord or sign or whatever to make sure you don't try to ride off with it attached. The good thing about the alarmed one is when you stand your bike up, the alarm goes off so you can't forget it

Filterer
29th January 2010, 15:25
I also have a Xena - but like the others it used to go off for no reason at all at odd hours (like 5 times aweek), even after reading the manual multiple times and adjusting the "sensitivity" I got no where.

I have removed the battery and I now use it as an unalarmed version that I take with me when traveling / parking in public and it is to difficult to take the chain from home

Love my Bonnie
30th January 2010, 08:32
I used to work for the importer.
When sold, the battery is only a demo battery (?? weird)
So you need to put new batteries in it when you buy it
We did have a few of these returned for that same reason
I have a xena and have had no problems, but I did put brand new batteries in when I brought it.
Hope that helps

Taz
30th January 2010, 08:39
I also have a Xena alarm disc lock. It is great and has very few false alarms. It came with 2 sets of batteries ans had none installed when I got it. Still on the first set and that's almost a year now. Has survived being mounted on the handguards on my ktm525 shaking about over all sorts of rough terrain. It is a tad heavy though.

Rev DJ
1st February 2010, 16:18
Hi all, I've used the Xena Alarmed Disk-Lock for almost two years now - on my third set of batteries. It's a cool product - very few false-alarms - usually due to bike being rocked by strong wind (Wellington - hehe)

Get one - they're good... DJ

The Stranger
1st February 2010, 18:10
I have 2 (one for each bike) and they have worked flawlessly for about 4 years, until I dropped one recently from about waist height onto a concrete floor.

sinned
1st February 2010, 18:14
Are they available in NZ and from where?

Love my Bonnie
2nd February 2010, 14:17
The NZ importer is Northern Accessories & most bike shops deal with them

Headbanger
10th February 2010, 12:07
Note to self-Search KB before going to Bikeshop, not after.

anyhow, Just ordered an ZM14.Looks mint to me.

http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/images/m_thumbnail/12_1.jpg

hgmiers
24th July 2010, 22:15
I also have a Xena alarm disc lock. It is great and has very few false alarms. It came with 2 sets of batteries ans had none installed when I got it. Still on the first set and that's almost a year now. Has survived being mounted on the handguards on my ktm525 shaking about over all sorts of rough terrain. It is a tad heavy though.

I had a Xena for nearly 2 years and found it great . . . until I lost the keys for it during the summer storms that blew our tent out! Replaced it and the lock kept going off for no reason. Got it looked at by the shop then found it kept re-setting itself and not going at all. Contacted the supplier (Northern Accessories) and they have replaced it for me. Seems to be as good as my first one so hope it works as well.

Great peace of mind if you are out and about during the day. Chains are good overnight or travelling around the country. I would swear by these locks and think the last one may have been a one-off dud.

ukusa
11th August 2010, 10:04
there seems to be alot of problems with these. Mine was also a nightmare with false alarms. Hung off the disk at the least sensitive setting (6 o'clock) makes no difference. Change of batteries made some difference, but only for a couple of weeks.
Bike will be sitting in the shed by itself, no wind, nothing to touch it & it will just go off randomly. Pain in the arse. Using it without batteries seems the best option, but there is a risk of the drive off.