PDA

View Full Version : Clutch in and bike stalls?

zealchick
31st January 2010, 19:43
I dropped my bike yesterday and bent the clutch lever and gear pedal :-( At the time i managed to get into 1st gear and ride it back, luckily i wasn't far from home. We took the pedal off and straightened it and it works fine. But now when i take it from neutral to 1st it stalls. we have adjusted the gear cable and it appears to be working ok, can see the cable mechanism and it seems to be just fine. Any suggestions. And does anyone know of mobile bike mechanics in Auckland

GOONR
31st January 2010, 19:46
I dropped my bike yesterday and bent the clutch lever and gear pedal :-( At the time i managed to get into 1st gear and ride it back, luckily i wasn't far from home. We took the pedal off and straightened it and it works fine. But now when i take it from neutral to 1st it stalls. we have adjusted the gear cable and it appears to be working ok, can see the cable mechanism and it seems to be just fine. Any suggestions. And does anyone know of mobile bike mechanics in Auckland

I would check the sidestand switch before calling a mechanic.

zealchick
31st January 2010, 20:12
hahaha theres a blonde in me just busting to get out! we had the side stand down. Thanks all good now. Just need to straighten lever and i'll be good to go:-)

breakaway
31st January 2010, 20:13
Yeah - money on it being the switch either in the clutch or the sidestand.

GOONR
31st January 2010, 20:17
Cool..

Easy done. Hope you're out and about soon.

zealchick
1st February 2010, 18:59
Grr bloody bikes now it won't start...and it ain't the sidestand switch!
I put fuel injector cleaner in before i went riding didn't go very far does it need to run through for a while ?? did i not run it long enough before it sat idle? or something completely random??

GOONR
1st February 2010, 19:03
I put fuel injector cleaner in before i went riding didn't go very far does it need to run through for a while ?? did i not run it long enough before it sat idle? or something completely random??

I would guess that your bike doesn't have fuel injectors but is carbs. Not sure what the deal would be about putting injector cleaner in a carb'd bike.. Someone will be along very soon with more knowledge than me. Ya might have to drain the tank and start again but like I said, I know nothing.

zealchick
1st February 2010, 19:51
you'd be guessing right... that'l teach me for not asking the right questions at the auto shop ...... although you'd think they would be asking me wouldn't you?? another expensive mistake

quickbuck
1st February 2010, 20:38
Sorry to say that you have most likely wet your plugs.
They will all need to be pulled out, and cleaned, or replaced.

Now, I don't actually know what "Injector Cleaner" contains, but my guess is it isn't actually that good for bikes.... or tiny little spark plugs like you have in the Zeal.

If I was even tempted to put Carb Cleaner into my bike, then I would actually find it easier to remove the carbs and clean out the jets myself!
Don't go to "Auto Shops" to get stuff for your bike either.... Bike shops know finer details.

It may well be unrelated, and could have been a case of you applying throttle while turning over the starter motor... and worse, not actually using the choke.... This causes wet plugs too.

(Check the kill switch too)

Hope you get this sorted.

mattian
1st February 2010, 20:48

I've heard motorcycledoctors are good. Never used them myself but, type in the search thread button and I've heard nothing but praise about them. They're mobile and they will come right to your place.

FROSTY
1st February 2010, 20:49
is it a zealor is it a vtr250? reason I ask is if its a VTR I wonder if the kill is turned to off. On honda itlll still turn over just not fire
if you get stuck trailer it here--Im in corban ave

quickbuck
1st February 2010, 20:53
is it a zealor is it a vtr250? reason I ask is if its a VTR I wonder if the kill is turned to off. On honda itlll still turn over just not fire
if you get stuck trailer it here--Im in corban ave
Can't quite remember, but I have a feeling the Zeals do too....
I do know the Zeals have a fussy "Choke" that tends not to work so well....

Crasherfromwayback
1st February 2010, 21:08

A little injector cleaner won't hurt it...doubt that's the problem. It (the injector cleaner) may've removed a bit of shit off your fuel tank though that's clogging the tiny wee jets in your carbs though.

roadracingoldfart
1st February 2010, 21:19
I would guess that your bike doesn't have fuel injectors but is carbs. Not sure what the deal would be about putting injector cleaner in a carb'd bike.. Someone will be along very soon with more knowledge than me. Ya might have to drain the tank and start again but like I said, I know nothing.

Someones here lol ........................
Injector cleaner is designed to do one thing , clean injectors , injectors have very small holes for air and fuel to pass through . No kidding i hear you say.
Carbs have very small holes for air and fuel as well so the treatment is eggzakerly the same. Cleans the holes and puts a polish on the surface without having to use an abraisive or sonic cleaning process.
As Pete says in his post , check for loose deposits in the carb bowls and if there are any , clean them out.
Also check the filter (if there is one fitted) .

quickbuck
1st February 2010, 21:33
TBH, never looked at the stuff RROF...
I'm more for pulling things apart to give them a clean, loose half the parts, and wonder why it never works like it did......
Kidding about the last part folks.

Actually things only become unreliable when humans touch them, so there is a place for some things.... others are just marketing hype in my opinion.

Yes, I guess injector clean will have its place if you have a car that isn't worth pulling apart.....