PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from a Yank (golfmade)

golfmade
2nd February 2010, 14:31
Hello all. Just thought I'd introduce myself properly.

My name is Evan and I'm originally from Idaho which is in the northwest part of the States. However for the last four years I've been living in Taiwan.

Haven't visited NZ yet but the wife and I really want to and I hope to go there within a few years.

I don't have a 'proper' motorcycle, but I do ride around on a Yamaha Majesty 125cc. It's about 10 years old and is always needing repairs for this and that, so I'll be looking to get a newer bike soon.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions about NZ but I also would like to say if anyone is interested to learn more about Taiwan feel free to ask me. I've not really toured on my bike much around the island but I could find out if anyone is interested.

Cheers.

Edbear
2nd February 2010, 14:49
Welcome to KB! You'll find all sorts on here, but some of us are reasonably sane...

Feel free to ask any questions, you must visit NZ as soon as you can, but be warned, you may not want to leave once here...

one fast tl1ooo
2nd February 2010, 14:54
welcome to kb

YellowDog
2nd February 2010, 15:04
Hey Golfmade, welcome to KB.

NZ's a great place to visit. They call it 'Godsown' because it is as unspoilt as a developed country can be. Millions of $ of wealth under the soil buy it just ain't gonna happen.

And that's one of the many things that make it Ab Fab.

Good luck.

golfmade
2nd February 2010, 15:05
Welcome to KB! You'll find all sorts on here, but some of us are reasonably sane...

Thanks for the warning. Not sure I'm completely sane myself though, driving a scooter here in Taiwan. :laugh:

Feel free to ask any questions, you must visit NZ as soon as you can, but be warned, you may not want to leave once here...

That's what I'm afraid of...

Edbear
2nd February 2010, 15:20
Thanks for the warning. Not sure I'm completely sane myself though, driving a scooter here in Taiwan. :laugh:

That's what I'm afraid of...

Sanity's all in the mind of course...

And yes, be very afraid, many have come here and stayed, Visiting NZ tends to foul up everyone's plans. My son-in-law came out from Germany as a stop-over on his way Aus to visit his parents and met my daughter... He's now a very successful businessman here... He did get to Aus and visited his folks but despite their pleas for him to immigrate there, he's firmly here.

I don't have any more daughers available and you have your own wife, so there will be bound to be something else to snare you...

p.dath
2nd February 2010, 17:31
You might find the "New to NZ" section of the Wiki to be of interest:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/wiki/Category:New_to_New_Zealand

awayatc
2nd February 2010, 17:36
welcome here,

had a great time in Boise, Coeur d'aArlene .......near your original haunts?

marvin the martian
2nd February 2010, 17:59
welcome mate.

crazyhorse
2nd February 2010, 18:14
Welcome to KB Evan. and welcome to NZ.....

Old Steve
2nd February 2010, 19:43
Welcome Yank. Must say that Taipei is 2nd only to Saigon for desnsity of motorcycles.

Bikemad
2nd February 2010, 19:49
howdy and welcome golfmade............hmmm.......self made golfing millionare???.........you got the goss on Tiger?

FlyingKiwi
3rd February 2010, 12:59
Thanks for all the potatoes! I just returned after a year in neighbouring Oregon.

golfmade
3rd February 2010, 13:17
You might find the "New to NZ" section of the Wiki to be of interest:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/wiki/Category:New_to_New_Zealand

Will check it out thank you.

welcome here,

had a great time in Boise, Coeur d'aArlene .......near your original haunts?

Yep! I'm originally from Boise, born and raised. Got my undergraduate degree at Boise State. As for Coeur d'Alene that's an area I wish I went to more often before I moved over here to Taiwan. Still hoping to play that golf course some day.

Welcome Yank. Must say that Taipei is 2nd only to Saigon for desnsity of motorcycles.

Aye, I live down in the south of Taiwan in Kaohsiung. I actually think driving in Taipei is a bit easier because most people actually follow the traffic laws. It feels a lot like the wild wild west down here in Kaohsiung, lot of people run red lights, drive on the wrong side of the road, etc.

howdy and welcome golfmade............hmmm.......self made golfing millionare???.........you got the goss on Tiger?

I wish... and no (I'm assuming goss means gossip?)

Thanks for all the potatoes! I just returned after a year in neighbouring Oregon.

You're welcome! Sounds corny but I do miss good ol' Idaho taters. Where abouts in Oregon were you?

FlyingKiwi
3rd February 2010, 14:16
Mighty mighty Eugene. Unfortunately the Ducks were bested by Boise State at the start of the latest football season. Duck made the Rose Bowl though!!! What on earth takes you to Taiwan?

golfmade
3rd February 2010, 14:32
Mighty mighty Eugene. Unfortunately the Ducks were bested by Boise State at the start of the latest football season. Duck made the Rose Bowl though!!! What on earth takes you to Taiwan?

Ahhhh, Eugene is a lovely city but I hold no love for the Ducks. Yeah, Ducks made it to the Rose Bowl but I'm still a bit miffed they let Blount play, what a joke that whole thing is. As for why I moved here lot of reasons, mainly because my wife is Taiwanese, otherwise I wanted to improve my Mandarin so hopefully one day I can do something other than teach English.

FlyingKiwi
3rd February 2010, 14:44
Fair enough. From what I've read, Taiwan seems like a place with their crap somewhat together and a place I would like to visit. On the Blunt note: While working in Eugene, we had Mike Bellotti come speak to us. Blunt seems like an absolute cock, but Mike's reasoning was certainly heartfelt and it was good they waited until after the USC game to bring him back. His position was bettered by Michael James anyway and he ended up with 2nd most yards in the country at end of season... Not bad, and it certainly showed Blunt he was dispensable.

golfmade
3rd February 2010, 14:55
Fair enough. From what I've read, Taiwan seems like a place with their crap somewhat together and a place I would like to visit. On the Blunt note: While working in Eugene, we had Mike Bellotti come speak to us. Blunt seems like an absolute cock, but Mike's reasoning was certainly heartfelt and it was good they waited until after the USC game to bring him back. His position was bettered by Michael James anyway and he ended up with 2nd most yards in the country at end of season... Not bad, and it certainly showed Blunt he was dispensable.

Some things here drive me nuts but then again everywhere I've lived has something that drives me nuts. Overall I'm really enjoying it here.

As for the Blount thing no need to keep talking about this in this thread and feel free to PM me if you want to discuss other things.