PDA

View Full Version : Pazzo levers on a street triple!

IdunBrokdItAgin
2nd February 2010, 20:21
Righto,

set of short pazzo levers arrived today from bikewarehouse in oz. Good price ($200 aud) and included shipping.

So as you can imagine was raring to get them on the bike.

After a bit of a read on t'interweb for "how to"s and after reading again and again that it was really easy to install - I decided to put them on myself.

Boy was it easy. Below is a quick write up of what I did - but there are better guides (with pictures) on the web. In total it took me about 30 mins and I was going slowly.

How to do it:
Tools: One size 10 open ended spanner, one screwdriver, bottle of locktite, can of spray on lube ( CRC white lithium grease ), cloths (to wipe old gunk off the bolts on, plus to wipe off any over run of the lube).

The brake takes only a few minutes. Just unscrew the bolt and take old lever off, relube the bolt and put the new lever on. Using a bit of locktite when fitting the bolt again is recommended strongly (due to handle bar vibrations which can make the bolt unthread over time).

The clutch is only slightly more complicated, the extra step is to slacken off the clutch cable - to do this ensure that the notch on the metal disc (which sits on the cable next to the lever housing) lines up with the notch where it meets the lever housing.
Then undo bolt and pull the old lever mostly out (it is still connected to the clutch cable).
The slack of the clutch cable enables you to pull the cable through the housing with the lever.
Then you simply unhook the cable (along with the small cylinder -don't know the correct part name - which holds it in place) from the old lever.
Then insert the small cylinder (and attached clutch cable) into the same place on the new lever. Lube up the bolt and attach the new lever (again using locktite when tightening).
Then re-tighten the clutch cable back to where ever it was originally and viola you are done.

Worth it?
Took it out for a quick run on the little road between J'ville and Tawa. Instantly got the hang of two finger braking. Feels way better than the standard lever and the short length works perfectly.

Didn't quite get the hang of the short clutch lever though. Was tending to use three fingers on it as if I used two then it would crush my third finger between the lever and the grip. Could avoid this by not pulling it back all the way but I may try adjusting the clutch tension to avoid the lever being able to be pulled all the way back to the grip.
Oh, and the pazzo clutch lever is adjustable where as the stock street triple one wasn't.

Looks:
I've taken some before and after pictures. I think it looks good and goes with the rest of the bike. I went for black with silver adjusters.

Cheers

ckai
3rd February 2010, 10:14
I had the same problem with the clutch and using 3 fingers. Moving it didn't work for me. I ended up moving it closer and using 3 fingers easier.

Looks good though mate. Got that "mean" look going.

2wheeldrifter
3rd February 2010, 23:45
Looks good.... ! now just get a nice bar end mirror and it WILL look mean. I got a trumpit mirror on the duc :)

IdunBrokdItAgin
4th February 2010, 12:48
Looks good.... ! now just get a nice bar end mirror and it WILL look mean. I got a trumpit mirror on the duc :)

Yeah, been thinking about the bar end mirrors, they would look good.

Can you see much out of them (they are a smaller mirror but better positioned from what I can tell), and do they suffer from much blurring due to handle bar vibrations?

2wheeldrifter
4th February 2010, 16:40
I have mine turned inwards, I don't get vibrations on the twin with it. I only one on my right which is good, I would get more vission if I turned it out the other way. But is fine just the way it is, I do see my arm alittle and tuck that in alittle if needed to see more etc.
I had one of those little round ones on for awhile... and I couldn't handle the limited vission. With this one it gives you a wide view.
Think if your like me, I do love to know what's behind me etc, and am happy with it. If I did alot of motorway riding etc I would get two then, but that's just me with bloody cages each side of you etc. Did take alittle while to get use too, stock mirrors where good but bloody ugly.

They do look good and do suit our sort of bikes.

TimothyS
11th February 2010, 08:01
ASV order has turned into a drama, might just have to order the Pazzos, problem is I don't quite like the finish compared to other levers - look a bit 'cheap'.

IdunBrokdItAgin
11th February 2010, 18:02
ASV order has turned into a drama, might just have to order the Pazzos, problem is I don't quite like the finish compared to other levers - look a bit 'cheap'.

Have you seen pazzos in the flesh? I wouldn't say that they look cheap at all.

If you really don't like pazzos then the other option is titax levers.

I honestly don't think there is any difference in finish between them.

After about 500 kms with the pazzos on I have really got used to them. Three fingers for clutch and two for brake - waaaay better than the OEM levers.

pritch
11th February 2010, 21:13
The Pazzo levers are a straight copy of CRG. You certainly couldn't call them cheap beacause they cost bloody near as much as the real thing.

trumpy
11th February 2010, 21:40
I have had a set of Pazzo shortys on my Trumpy for about 3000ks now and I love them. Vast improvement over OEM, particularly for someone with short stubby fingers like me (never could play the piano...) and somewhat better looking.
I can now brake quite happily with two fingers and generally the same for the clutch although with the shorter lever and a cable operation the action is a little heavier.
Easy to fit and good value and the service from bikewarehouse was great.

ckai
16th February 2010, 17:24

haha sorry, not laughing at you. It's more of a "not-surprised-happened-to-me" kinda laugh. I've warned a few people about them. The levers themselves are stunning but getting them is a problem.

Have you seen pazzos in the flesh? I wouldn't say that they look cheap at all.

If you really don't like pazzos then the other option is titax levers.

I honestly don't think there is any difference in finish between them.

Agree, have a look at them in the flesh. Yes, ASV are a smoother finish, but Pazzo have the same finish as all the others. Photo's don't do them justice. I've had many "sexy" comments about the pazzos.

But since this is 5 days after your post Tim, have you sorted it out?

Chrislost
18th February 2010, 06:54
After about 500 kms with the pazzos on I have really got used to them. Three fingers for clutch and two for brake - waaaay better than the OEM levers.

I have not figured out why using less fingers is better?
Can you enlighten me?

IdunBrokdItAgin
18th February 2010, 08:38
I have not figured out why using less fingers is better?
Can you enlighten me?

Yeah, it doesn't make mathmetical sense. But all I can think of is:

If you grip with your hand then you find that most of the pressure is with your index and large fingers. The small finger and the other one seem to be there mainly for stability (when holding stuff).

On a brake it isn't about stability just about pressure control. By just using these two fingers you seem to be able to control the pressure better (human brain doesn't have good motor control over the small finger and the other one - hence why they both usually bend together as the brain has trouble seperating them).

While reading this: do the "bunny ears" with your large and index fingers - that is how how you brake on short levers. Then next just bend all your fingers at once. In my case I find I have better control with the former. If you find the latter more controlable (pressure wise) then maybe short levers are not for you.

For me it is a case of less is more. By the brain concentrating on LESS fingers it has MORE control over the pressure exerted. Note that you can still clamp three fingers on the brake if you really need to drop the anchors, the pressure you are losing by not being able to place the pinky is negligable.

Anyone know what the correct name for the "other" finger is?

IdunBrokdItAgin
18th February 2010, 08:43
Also, on the clutch it doesn't matter as you just pull it in fully and let it out again. Not as much pressure control as is needed on the brake.

I use three fingers on the clutch as that is all I can fit on the short lever. The pinky is just curled up to the side.

Plus - as the clutch pulls all the way back to the grip (which it doesn't on the brake) - if you don't use your third finger on the lever it tends to get caught between the lever and the grip (hence why you put it on the lever).

Hope all this helps in some way - makes sense in my head - but you really have to try short levers to get them right in your head.

TimothyS
17th March 2010, 17:11
Just cancelled the order after 1 1/2 months waiting and two new delivery dates from ASV.
(Firstly no later than Feb 28, and then no later than Mar 12...) So frankly they were always lying.
Have picked up a cheap new clutch lever so I can get a WOF (do you know the standard clutch lever is $90!! )
I did see on at least two sites a comment on the product info page that ASV had issues with delivery times.

Here's the email from ASV to the place I ordered them from:

Andrew-

Due to extreme delays with our vendors I can not honestly give you an accurate eta. We have a lot of orders in the system dating back to
Early December. That being said all open orders are our 13 weeks from the date of the order. I know this is a shocking number to look at.
We will being trying to get the orders out asap. However, this is the reality of the situation. I will call you as soon as your order is ready to ship.
If you no longer want it at that time, I will gladly cancel the order.

haha sorry, not laughing at you. It's more of a "not-surprised-happened-to-me" kinda laugh. I've warned a few people about them. The levers themselves are stunning but getting them is a problem.

Agree, have a look at them in the flesh. Yes, ASV are a smoother finish, but Pazzo have the same finish as all the others. Photo's don't do them justice. I've had many "sexy" comments about the pazzos.

But since this is 5 days after your post Tim, have you sorted it out?

325rocket
17th March 2010, 18:29
Nice levers. ive had mine on for a while now and i still find the clutch a bit tricky. i thought the finish was pretty good.

ckai
17th March 2010, 19:22
Just cancelled the order after 1 1/2 months waiting and two new delivery dates from ASV.
(Firstly no later than Feb 28, and then no later than Mar 12...) So frankly they were always lying.
Have picked up a cheap new clutch lever so I can get a WOF (do you know the standard clutch lever is $90!! )
I did see on at least two sites a comment on the product info page that ASV had issues with delivery times.

Here's the email from ASV to the place I ordered them from:

Andrew-

Due to extreme delays with our vendors I can not honestly give you an accurate eta. We have a lot of orders in the system dating back to
Early December. That being said all open orders are our 13 weeks from the date of the order. I know this is a shocking number to look at.
We will being trying to get the orders out asap. However, this is the reality of the situation. I will call you as soon as your order is ready to ship.
If you no longer want it at that time, I will gladly cancel the order.

That sux mate. I really don't understand that company. They gotta be understaffed or just plain can't be bothered. Such a shame 'cause they make a nice looking product. Doesn't mean jake if you can't get 'em though.

So do you know what levers you gonna get? I just saw Lex Racing ones and they're pretty cool. About the same price as CRG but have awesome adjustability.

FastBikeGear
27th June 2010, 23:47
Just thought I would jump into this thread as it's discussing supply problems.

We now have both stock of the Pazzo and Pazzo racing levers here in New Zealand for all models of Triumphs.

The Titax and Pazzo are pretty similar (in fact some parts are interchangeable - not that we would recommend this). The main difference is in the finish and that the Titax use bearings for the reach adjusters. The Titax units are a bit better known in MotoGP and Superbike circles than the Pazzo levers and have German TUV ISO certification.

We are going to be doing some introduction special pricing on selected models of Titax levers over the next couple of weeks.

Any questions just PM me.

Liam Venter