PDA

View Full Version : Should I stay at school?

jaymzw
3rd February 2010, 15:53
So I value the opinions of some on here. It seems that opinions are often polarized but you seem to get a middle ground from which to draw conclusions.

So here's the story. I went back to school yesterday. 7th form. I know that next year i will be beginning a 2 year diploma in Aviation. I am in the process of enrolling for this at the moment as there are no prerequisites. I am fairly confident of being accepted.

However this year I have already had disappointment. Not being selected as a prefect has dampened my enthusiasm for school. I am also taking some easy subjects this year and find myself in classes with people who, to be honest, are at school to eat their lunch. I am a goal driven person and dont like to feel like I am doing nothing.

This year I cant see what I am achieving at school. I am not a prefect, which was a goal i had for a long time. I am not taking many challenging subjects and already in 2 days have found my brain absolutely idle in class. I also cant play rugby this year as I have surgery half way through the season.

So my question for the KB populous would be, should I stay at school and hope things get better. Or should I get out and start working 55+ hours a week? This would be to save for my student loan which would be close to 6 figures by the end of my training.

James

Jantar
3rd February 2010, 16:00
Stay at school, but change your subjects to more challenging ones. Particularly concentrate on physics, chemistry and those maths sujects that include algebra and trigonometry. the aviation course is not a pushover and those subjects will help you with Nav, Aerodynamics, Met etc.

yungatart
3rd February 2010, 16:00
What about doing some "Star" courses, while you are at school? My son did his baristas certiffcate, and bartenders course, which led to a full time job for him on his return from Europe (he left half way through Yr 13 to do a student exchange).
It could be a way to pick up some valuable skills for part time work while you are studying.
Alternatively, why not change your course to something a little more challenging?
Have you talked to your Dean or careers advisor about it...this year I mean?

soundbeltfarm
3rd February 2010, 16:08
I'd say there is no guarantee with future work or your diploma.
you say you are goal driven make it a goal that the people in your class wont bring you down a level .
when i was younger everyone used to say stay and school and learn heaps.
i did do seventh form and then thought i was pretty good at sport, i made a bit of money through sport but man o man i wish i pushed myself harder and learnt as much as i could while at school.
but thats just me, everyone is different.
alot of the big players had sweet FA of an education or should i say quals and letters after their names but so many others have.

Ragingrob
3rd February 2010, 16:08
Just putting it out there... Think also about how many university + school leavers that are already out there, unable to find a job cause companies are still trying to find their feet.

Have you already got whatever credits you need for uni entrance later in life if your aviation plans go astray?

jaymzw
3rd February 2010, 16:09
Stay at school, but change your subjects to more challenging ones. Particularly concentrate on physics, chemistry and those maths sujects that include algebra and trigonometry. the aviation course is not a pushover and those subjects will help you with Nav, Aerodynamics, Met etc.

Am taking Statistics and Calculus as well as 6th form Physics (because I havent done it before). I hate this class with 6th form kids and because I am taking a 6th form subject I need to make up credits in other subjects to pass 7th form. Thats why I have taken these easier subjects which offer huge amounts of credits. It does my head in being so boring but I cannot pass the year without them.

steve_t
3rd February 2010, 16:10

Good idea. My mate has been doing aviation stuff for a while and his last test asked him stuff like what does sine(30 degrees) equal. He had no idea, but just scraped through

Str8 Jacket
3rd February 2010, 16:11
Wow, you definately have your head screwed on mate! I left school during the first term of 7th form and not really any relevant qualifications. I also didnt know what I really wanted to do with my life... 10-15 years later I have had to work my arse off at low paying jobs and have finally worked my way up to a career in Procurement with a good wage and excellent employment opportunities.

Life would have been alot easier if I had have stayed at school and got the qualifications I needed to go to uni. At the end of the day everyone is different and goes through life differently. Sounds like you know what you want to do with your life so I reckon stick at it and do what yungatart has suggested. The more perseverance you learn now, the easier your life is going to become!
Good lcuk mate! :)

mashman
3rd February 2010, 16:19
Am taking Statistics and Calculus as well as 6th form Physics (because I havent done it before). I hate this class with 6th form kids and because I am taking a 6th form subject I need to make up credits in other subjects to pass 7th form. Thats why I have taken these easier subjects which offer huge amounts of credits. It does my head in being so boring but I cannot pass the year without them.

If you need to finish the year then you're kinda stuffed and stuck at school. If you're truly up for a career in Aviation, do as Jantar suggests, find out what arena of aviation you'd like to have a go at the core subjects and learn as much as you can before you get there... it'll make Uni life a little easier if nothing else...

If you get acepted and don't need the year and you're not too worried about the amount of cash you need to generate, try finding some work experience within the Aviation industry. Offer them a cheap ass slave that they can't say no to and get that all important experience...

Have fun

jaymzw
3rd February 2010, 16:24
Just putting it out there... Think also about how many university + school leavers that are already out there, unable to find a job cause companies are still trying to find their feet.

Have you already got whatever credits you need for uni entrance later in life if your aviation plans go astray?

One of the possible places I can get Commercial Pilots licence also offers to do another degree with it as a 3 year course. I would most likely do commerce. I have enough credits to do this already. After that my options would be to use my uni qualifications or join the Police force, which only requires 6th form.

I understand what you mean about jobs being scarce, especially in this economic climate and the industry I am considering, however this is what I want to do regardless.

Also, its not just the people in the class that are bum but also the subject which is extremely easy. The teacher is slack. Today the entire class left at 2.45 without the teacher even saying so. They just went home. All the credits available are internally assessed so virtually everyone passes. However as I said I need this subject to pass 7th form.

Mom
3rd February 2010, 16:24
Get your self busy at school James. There will be no end of "other" activities that you can be involved with that will help you keep the brain working, maybe not academically but busy all the same. I think the 7th form is a great levelling year. Sticking at it also shows a level of committment too. All 3 of my kids have gone through 7th form, one worked really hard even doing scholarship exams, the other two went to eat their lunch, but they got valuable maturing and learning time to boot. Hang in there mate, find lots of thigs to keep your frustration of not being elected a prefect at bay, and show them that you really were the right choice afterall :blip:

Good luck mate!

Headbanger
3rd February 2010, 17:37
Have you considered beer and wenches?, I assume you already dress like a pirate?

http://www.icanhasmotivation.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/pirates.jpg

R6_kid
3rd February 2010, 18:11
Stay at school. Get in touch with NSAC about doing PPL/CPL theory night courses. It'll keep your brain ticking over and will push you further down the path that you already know you want to travel. It'll look good on your CV, and it'll save you time and money in the long run.

If in 6 months time you don't feel that staying at school is worth your time then you will be in a better position to make the call, rather than doing it within the first week when things are going slowly. Make sure you at least have University Entrance before you leave as you may want to return to study later on. The only reason I'd leave school would be because you aren't actually learning anything - i.e actually wasting your time.

Get a part time job and save as much cash as you can. Spend less on bikes and more on flying if that is your real passion. I'd be half way to my CPL if I wasn't spending all my money and time on bikes! My suggestion is that you use the money you save to get a few hours up, but mainly to have as buffer for when you move out so that things are a bit more comfortable and you can focus on your study rather than worrying about being able to pay the rent and getting fed.

Out of interest, where are you planning on doing your flying?

jaymzw
3rd February 2010, 18:23
Stay at school. Get in touch with NSAC about doing PPL/CPL theory night courses. It'll keep your brain ticking over and will push you further down the path that you already know you want to travel. It'll look good on your CV, and it'll save you time and money in the long run.

If in 6 months time you don't feel that staying at school is worth your time then you will be in a better position to make the call, rather than doing it within the first week when things are going slowly. Make sure you at least have University Entrance before you leave as you may want to return to study later on. The only reason I'd leave school would be because you aren't actually learning anything - i.e actually wasting your time.

Get a part time job and save as much cash as you can. Spend less on bikes and more on flying if that is your real passion. I'd be half way to my CPL if I wasn't spending all my money and time on bikes! My suggestion is that you use the money you save to get a few hours up, but mainly to have as buffer for when you move out so that things are a bit more comfortable and you can focus on your study rather than worrying about being able to pay the rent and getting fed.

Out of interest, where are you planning on doing your flying?

Yeah i think that is the sensible thing to do. I spose another year at school wont hurt, especially once I get calculus and physics. May think about doing theory at NSAC as you are right it will keep my brain ticking over and make getting accepted to a flight school easier. Bike is almost finished too so I will have disposeable income in a couple of months. After I PM'd you a couple of months ago you convinced me to look around at other schools. I have narrowed it down to training at AirHawkes Bay through Eit or Mainland Air in Dunedin. Both due to possible employment opportunities post training and the eventual possibility of multi time.

James

Jantar
3rd February 2010, 18:32
I can highly recommend Mainland Air. The CFI is John Penno, one of the most experienced "A" cat instructors in the country, and when you do your mountain flying, it will be real mountain flying, not just a few take offs and landings at high altitude.

kiwifruit
3rd February 2010, 18:36
Yes .

crazyhorse
3rd February 2010, 20:37
You sound like a very sensible young man. My thoughts are, that if you feel you are filling in this year to get by, and do not see yourself gaining much out of it, especially since you not chosen to be prefect, nor am able to play sport. I would then think that if you had the opportunity of a job that paid you a fairly good rate, then if you were my son, I would say leave, earn some money, live a little, and then focus on your diploma for aviation next year. Other thing you can do is see if there are any courses at EIT that you may be interested in that may only be a half year course. I see no point in staying at school if it frustrates you and you don't feel you will get anything from it.

Good luck in your choice :)

GOONR
3rd February 2010, 20:51
Sorry, I have no real opinion for you either way. Your choice at the end of the day.

One thing I can say is that you are a ray of sunshine, with a good head on your shoulders. Someone with your attitude will go far in life no matter what you decide to do now.

What a change from the giveme giveme I'm so used to hearing. Hat off to you fella!!

Jonathan
3rd February 2010, 21:03
The only thing 7th form was good for, in my case, was my social life. I only went to less than 50% of classes and of those 50% most of the time I was asleep. Still went on and did two degrees with grades amongst the best in the university though. If you have aviation sorted, and that is your future, then 7th form is totally unnecessary. Go make some cash!

Of course 7th for is one of the best years of your life before all the responsibilities kick in. Given the choice I wouldn't have changed my decision to do it despite it being totally academically irrelevant.

Jantar
3rd February 2010, 21:09
You sound like a very sensible young man. My thoughts are, that if you feel you are filling in this year to get by, and do not see yourself gaining much out of it, especially since you not chosen to be prefect, nor am able to play sport. I would then think that if you had the opportunity of a job that paid you a fairly good rate, then if you were my son, I would say leave, earn some money, live a little, and then focus on your diploma for aviation next year. Other thing you can do is see if there are any courses at EIT that you may be interested in that may only be a half year course. I see no point in staying at school if it frustrates you and you don't feel you will get anything from it.

Good luck in your choice :)
Except that without at least level2 physics and prefferably level 3 physics he has no chance at all of passing a diploma of aviation.

KiWiP
3rd February 2010, 21:17
Something to bear in mind is qualifications will not bring you success in life. What you do with them might. The more you have the more options you have.

Do not chase money, it is faster than you. Set goals, find out as much as you can as to how to attain them, work hard, attain goals (if you do not need to do little to attain them they are not goals, don't be a pussy, challenge yourself). If you are lucky you will make lots of money to give you security. If you treat all you meet with respect you will not need luck, you will become happy. Happiness is a good thing.

Only you can make the choice. Do not be afraid to make the wrong one. Everyone makes wrong choices. Learn as much as you can when you do.

Well done for seeking input, hope these scribbles help

gatch
3rd February 2010, 21:53
Stay in school man.

Diploma level study is a fair bit more involved than 7th form..

Also you are only a young dude, working 55hrs plus can wait..

R6_kid
3rd February 2010, 22:31
If you really believe that you were going to be chosen as a prefect but haven't been, I'd say go and talk to a dean or senior teacher and ask them what/why you didn't get picked. On the flip side, get involved at school anyway and show them that you should have been chosen. I know that at Westlake they picked a second group at about middle of term two which is when I got picked (getting involved with a teachers daughter stopped me from getting picked in the first group... no shit!).

Also have a serious look at Air Force/Navy as another option. You seem like you want to be a leader/role model and the military likes those kind of people. They call them Officers and they tend to get paid a decent salary. Heck, if they like you enough they'll pay you to go to university (you can do Bachelor of Aviation at Massey) and they'll even pay for your fees too!

Gareth123
3rd February 2010, 23:11

And that just screams "NCEA is fucked up!"

Not being able to pass because you need to make up credits in other classes is bullshit! As an employer I should be able to look at you results and know whether or not you passed a subject. Not that you "passed" the year only to find out futher down the track that you sucked at english and maths and picked up credits for cooking class and wood work.

Bloody hell that grinds my gears! Rant over.

crazyhorse
4th February 2010, 06:08
Except that without at least level2 physics and prefferably level 3 physics he has no chance at all of passing a diploma of aviation.

Ok - I did not read that in his statement - if that is the case, then stay at school, focus on this and know you are doing the best to fulfill your aviation dreams of gaining that diploma

Squiggles
4th February 2010, 10:11
Am taking Statistics and Calculus as well as 6th form Physics (because I havent done it before)

The maths'll get harder pretty quick... If you're finding it easy talk to your teachers about doing Scholarship exams, usually involves a bit of extra teaching and more challenging material, plus side is if you do well theres a decent amount of money in it for the next few years!

jaymzw
4th February 2010, 14:52
Have enquired today as to the possibility of another few prefects being elected and was told it happens fairly often. I will let my Dean know my situation tomorrow and make myself clear.

Dont find maths easy. Its the other subjects which are abit challenging. Challenging to stay awake.

imdying
4th February 2010, 15:01
However this year I have already had disappointment. Not being selected as a prefect has dampened my enthusiasm for school.

This year I cant see what I am achieving at school. I am not a prefect, which was a goal i had for a long time.

So my question for the KB populous would be, should I stay at school and hope things get better.Stay at school, milk the olds as long as you can. What will you achieve? You'll prove (to yourself) that you can stick shit out even when it's not what you wanted... cause there is most definitely going to be jobs in your future that aren't what you expected/wanted.

Do some advanced maths subjects, you'll need them.

/edit: One more thing... 7th form rocks. Never again will you have access to so much legal willing pussy. Well, unless you take up dancing or something...

golfmade
4th February 2010, 15:04
Yes. Stay in school, as others have said if possible try to change into classes that will help you reach your goal of doing aviation.

BoristheBiter
4th February 2010, 16:13
Stay in school and get the grades you need.

I left at the begining of 7th form because i was bored and have regreted it ever since. i had to do the same exams the next year so i had lost a full year.
Also the one peace of advice i have picked up along the way is "the harder and longer you work at school the easyer and shorter work is".
this might come across as it harsh and it's not ment to, you didn't become prefect, welcome to adulthood. life is not fare and we don't always get what we want or what we have work hard for. move on to the next thing on your list.
You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and seem to take advice (wish i had) so i would say you will go far.
R6 had a good idea of looking at the armed forces, a good idea if that is for you, its not for everyone (mrsb cousin trains apache pilots in uk). you get all your schooling paid for but it is not the top wage.

Good luck.