PDA

View Full Version : Hayabusa tyre pressure?

Damon
3rd February 2010, 19:52
hey guys,

I went for a ride up 16 on the weekend and had a horrible fuckin time, on at least 3 different times if i leaned over to far the front end gave a shake like it was about to let go, when i stopped the front tyre looked ok but it has been pealing a bit which i thought was a little unusual for how hard i was going, the manual says to run 42/42 psi but thats crazy high compared to what i'm used to so I've been running 36/38.

I'm just curious what other bus owners have been using?

nadroj
3rd February 2010, 20:15
42 - 42. Was prob all that hot tar givin ya the constipation antidote!

sinned
3rd February 2010, 20:30
Plenty of information on hayabusa.org forums.

Taz
3rd February 2010, 20:43
Plenty of information on hayabusa.org forums.

But that's for that's for the left hand drive version........

sinned
3rd February 2010, 20:56
But that's for that's for the left hand drive version........
And Suzuki sell 10,000 bikes a year as left hand drive versions.

Armitage Shanks
4th February 2010, 18:02
hey guys,

I went for a ride up 16 on the weekend and had a horrible fuckin time, on at least 3 different times if i leaned over to far the front end gave a shake like it was about to let go, when i stopped the front tyre looked ok but it has been pealing a bit which i thought was a little unusual for how hard i was going, the manual says to run 42/42 psi but thats crazy high compared to what i'm used to so I've been running 36/38.

I'm just curious what other bus owners have been using?

Ignore the 42/42 you're right that's too high in my opininion...used to run my '06 Busa at 39 both ends and it was awesome though I had Nitrogen in both tyres which I don't think makes a lot of difference in terms of pressure input to the tyres. Just got an '09 Busa and first thing I did was release the pressure as supplied down to around 39-40 each end, makes a difference and it's noticeable , hope this helps. Have fun with your 'Busa mate

polly
4th February 2010, 18:53
I have an k6 busa. The manual says 42/42, but is that only for the stock Bridgestone tyres? I used 39/39 which gave a better ride. I have now got Michelin Pilot Powers and run them at 36/36. May be best to use tyre pressure from the manufacturer of the tyres you have fitted.

Armitage Shanks
4th February 2010, 19:38
I have an k6 busa. The manual says 42/42, but is that only for the stock Bridgestone tyres? I used 39/39 which gave a better ride. I have now got Michelin Pilot Powers and run them at 36/36. May be best to use tyre pressure from the manufacturer of the tyres you have fitted.

Good choice with the Michelin Pilot powers, I had them on my K6 and they were awesome . Interested that you run 36 at both ends . As you'll know I've got the BT-105s on my new bike and it's too early to tell but my mate's '08 run out of tyre tread with the Battleaxes at about 6000 before he switched to the Michelin PP's too. He love's them .....

eelracing
4th February 2010, 20:59
hey guys,

on at least 3 different times if i leaned over to far the front end gave a shake like it was about to let go,

I'd be more inclined to think that to low a pressure would bring on a shake so maybe it's symptomatic of something more serious?
Worn/loose steering head bearings? Misaligned chain adjustment?
I've never ridden a Busa tho so maybe it's a big bike thing.;)

Damon
5th February 2010, 17:30
here's a pic of the tyre, it's an Metzeler M3, I've never had one before and so far don't really like it, anyone else tried them before? perhaps a change might be in order,

Toaster
5th February 2010, 19:43
I'd be more inclined to think that to low a pressure would bring on a shake so maybe it's symptomatic of something more serious?
Worn/loose steering head bearings? Misaligned chain adjustment?
I've never ridden a Busa tho so maybe it's a big bike thing.;)

Yep I agree. I run mine at both 42 and sometimes less for warmer weather, say 36ish.... no problems eitherway.

But then, mine is a "left hand drive" version!!

Toaster
5th February 2010, 19:45
here's a pic of the tyre, it's an Metzeler M3, I've never had one before and so far don't really like it, anyone else tried them before? perhaps a change might be in order,

I love Metz tyres but tended to find they wear more quickly. No issues with either pressure levels indicated. Front end hit any gutters hard or anything?

Chrislost
6th February 2010, 06:49

That tyre looks like it got rather hot...
What pressures did you have in it?
I would run 36 FR 40 RR for road riding, however if your tryna go faster then road pace let a PSI or two out

Damon
6th February 2010, 09:48
Sooo... i checked my tyre pressure again this morning and it was 34psi which isn't that bad,

i was a little worried about maybe it was a bearing or something else so I headed to the mechanic (1 ticket later) the mechanic took it for a ride and thought it was fine and just suggested i'd been pushing a little hard :weep: ... i miss my blade, i may still try another tyre when i've paid off the ticket.

Toaster
5th April 2010, 21:51
Just re-visiting this thread. I have been adjusting my pressures up and down a bit. Seems a bit under the 40 mark, say 36-38 seems better than 42 (cold). I am finding the 42 a bit too hard in summer temps and a little less grippy... or maybe I am just running out of tread!

Damon
6th April 2010, 08:23
I've been using 40 for a month or two now and it seems ok, good for commuting, haven't been for a fast ride though, i'm still not keen on the front tyre so when finances allow will match it with the rear

Armitage Shanks
6th April 2010, 18:37
Just re-visiting this thread. I have been adjusting my pressures up and down a bit. Seems a bit under the 40 mark, say 36-38 seems better than 42 (cold). I am finding the 42 a bit too hard in summer temps and a little less grippy... or maybe I am just running out of tread!

I ride a Gen2 as well, have nitrogen in the tyres and check the pressure at both ends at 40 . Pressure flucltuation is minimised and riding enjoyment is noticeable .....you may want to give it a crack and it's worth the $ on a performance bike like a 'Busa ...good insurance