PDA

View Full Version : Ok so I'm about to sit my restricted. What do I need to know?

Weeruthie
4th February 2010, 12:53
Ok so I'm about to sit my restricted.... What do I need to know????
What is involved in the ristricted test? what manovers am I gonna have to do?
any feedback would be fab!
Cheers

Mr Merde
4th February 2010, 13:16
Never having had to go this path I cant give you any advice other than to

RELAX and enjoy.

You are on two wheels and on the road.

Chris

PrincessBandit
4th February 2010, 14:24
A search will show that lots of people ask the same question, and for their other licenses as well.

Pretty much you only do "around town" stuff, through a selection of intersections, perhaps down a cul-de-sac for a pseudo u-turn (some people claim to have to do the u turn on their restricted, but I didn't). Pretty much all they're looking for is to see that you indicate properly, do obvious mirror checks (as they can't tell if all you do is move your eyes from side to side!), and that you are able to be aware of potential hazards as you go along. Again, I didn't get any hazard questions for either my restricted or full but it pays to be ready just in case. Nothing over 70kph basically and keeping within the 50 limit where you are supposed to.

If you've been riding for a wee while (even the 6 months on your L as long as you've been out regularly on your bike) it's a piece of cake.

Oh, and they still do a pre-test check of your bike for current wof, rego, everything works, and that it's not bigger than 250cc!

Good luck although I'm sure you won't need it!

Mudfart
4th February 2010, 17:49
sweet im gonna go book my 6r too, i rang the lady and she INSISTED that you have to go to the aa centre and pay to book it.
I told her its a 2 hr round trip, they dont care? then it will be another 2 hr trip to sit the test. Oh well gud excuse to carve up the highway.

neels
4th February 2010, 18:17
Sadly it's true, you have to go to book and pay, then go again to do the test.

I don't think the tests are as hard as they make them out to be in the literature, just ride carefullly don't break any road rules and make sure you understand what they want you to do. I almost got cleaned up by a bus on my restricted test, after I'd ridden through a street that had been completely dug up, and got carved up by boy racers. When I finished the tester laughed and reckoned if I'd survived a test like that I'd be fine.

YellowDog
4th February 2010, 18:21
Apart from the walking pace U-Turn on a steep cambered road, there's nothing to it.

Practice the slow stuff.

Good luck!

BMCruiser
4th February 2010, 21:43
I did my restricted a week or so ago. It was no big drama really. As others have commented, just watch the road rules, make it obvious you are checking your mirrors, don't speed, indicate in plenty of time and remember to cancel your indicators promptly after the turn. Watch for tricks like going through a school zone or other different speed zones. I had to do the slow u-turn. I also had to do an open road speed section. That is common if there is an 80 or 100 kmh zone near the test area. The tester wants to know that you can handle higher speed which of course you will be able to do if you pass. Ask the tester before you start if they will take you into a zone of more than 70 kph and just check that it's OK to do that. Apparently some testers don't know that. Also there seems to be different opinions of what to do when stopped at an intersection. There is a sticky on KB which says you should stop and have both feet on the ground but a good instructor will tell you left foot on the ground and right foot on the brake. I asked the tester what they expected before my test. She said it made sense to her to keep the right foot on the brake when stopped, so I did. Good Luck

bittertwistedcute
5th February 2010, 14:26
sweet im gonna go book my 6r too, i rang the lady and she INSISTED that you have to go to the aa centre and pay to book it.
I told her its a 2 hr round trip, they dont care? then it will be another 2 hr trip to sit the test. Oh well gud excuse to carve up the highway.

Have you tried booking online? I did?

Mudfart
5th February 2010, 19:06
too late, i went there today and its booked for tues 16th.
funny thing is I can sit the test just down the road! The only issues I may have is there are a lot of schools in the area and the test is at 330pm. Can't wait to get it over with.

davebullet
5th February 2010, 21:23
Cheers

Man overs? Sexual favours should not be expected, but if offered could help you pass.

HappyGOriding
7th February 2010, 20:09
Cheers

Check your mirrors constiently, not just with your eyes but turn your whole head so the instructor can see, otherwise youll lose points on something so simple and agruing about it wont help.As for manovers unless you get the major shakes or wobbles its just an extended ride around the block, like taking the long way home just alot slower

Good luck

Insanity_rules
19th February 2010, 20:41
Remember to breath and relax. Oh and don't do your test in a torrental downpour, I did and it sucked!