PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Manufacturing

cs363
5th February 2010, 19:50
Check out these pictures taken in a Chinese factory that is a sub-contractor for a spark plug company! Quality control could be a bit of an issue...... :lol:

And people wonder why Chinese bikes aren't thought of very highly (at least not yet...)

cs363
5th February 2010, 19:51
And some more.....

Elysium
5th February 2010, 19:57
OSH would have a field day.

MIXONE
5th February 2010, 20:13
Man that's some high tech manufacturing going on there.

woodyracer
5th February 2010, 20:22

thats funny, i was thinking the same thing!

The inside of that building looks very communist like.......

Its good to know TOP people are working on spark plugs, this sort of job must be left to the professional's.........

pete376403
5th February 2010, 20:29
When prime contractors (or manufacturers) demand cheap, cheap is what they get. When people are prepared to pay for quality from the chinese, they will get it.

It's not too long ago that "made in japan" was synonymous for cheap 'n' nasty. Now it is a mark of excellence. (eg "genuine Japanese Sony" as opposed to, say, Thai Sony)

EJK
5th February 2010, 20:29
Genuine hand built parts. (blood not included)

cs363
5th February 2010, 20:33
When prime contractors (or manufacturers) demand cheap, cheap is what they get. When people are prepared to pay for quality from the chinese, they will get it.

It's not too long ago that "made in japan" was synonymous for cheap 'n' nasty. Now it is a mark of excellence. (eg "genuine Japanese Sony" as opposed to, say, Thai Sony)

Agreed, hence the 'not yet' tag at the end of my first post. As you say, it wasn't that long ago people had similar opinions of Japanese bikes & products, similarly look at Korean products - not that long ago they were at the level the Chinese are at now and whilst they aren't quite up with the Japanese yet, they are catching up quickly.

Watch this space.....

woodyracer
5th February 2010, 20:34
chinese engineering is top of the line stuff......where else do you get hand built parts?? italy.....i dont think soo........

Also the engineers are soo passionate about their work they are happy to work for 2 cents an hour........that shows real dedication

Brian d marge
6th February 2010, 01:31
puts some kiwi companies to shame

Stephen

Miscreant
6th February 2010, 04:38

They're spark plugs, not computer chips.

CookMySock
6th February 2010, 06:20
this sort of job must be left to the professional's.........Or at least a machine. Who the hell makes spark plugs from scratch with a lathe and a hammer? :weird:

Steve

golfmade
6th February 2010, 06:37
I've seen a fair share of shoddy workshops here in Taiwan but jesus, nothing like this.

kevfromcoro
6th February 2010, 08:17
Iam working in Oz at the moment.
We are installing a large drier ,, imported from china.
Its a big thing. about 4 mtrs wide,, and 30 mtrs long.
The workmanship on this thing is terrible
all the holes are gas cut out.. nothing lines up properlly
all the cladding on the outside is stainless
the holes look like they have done with a can opener.
about cninse turned up to give us a hand
only one could speak english
no tools,,,
up top some of them were putting on a capping with a pop rivet gun
leaning over the edge.
one slip. and they would have been history
no safety gear
made me shudder to watgh them.
where is OSH when you need them.......

Headbanger
6th February 2010, 10:02
where is OSH when you need them.......

Not there to hold anyone's hand, there role is to persecute after someone gets hurt, and I'm pretty sure the OSH requirements and view in Aussie is similar to here, Being that it is everyone's responsibility and you are not allowed to let others work in a dangerous manner, Someone on the ground floor level should have stepped in, Be it someone on the tools or a supervisor.

And the company in charge of the site and the company employed to do the work are required to have systems in place to ensure Safety requirements are met, as ultimately they would pay the fine, even though the injured or dead person pays the real price.

I'm surprised they still let unsafe practices go on in QLD.

Headbanger
6th February 2010, 10:03
Anyway, Your average engineering workshop or steel fabricator in NZ is every bit as dangerous and dirty as those photo's if not more so.